Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Starting an Automotive / Motorbike Business _ Grants in Valencia...

Starting an Automotive / Motorbike Business _ Grants in Valencia...

Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Post Starting an Automotive / Motorbike Business _ Grants in Valencia...

Forum,

After some delving on the internet, to include this forum, I would like to ask the question ref: ' Business Grants available, in the Valencia area'.

Field of expertise would be;
  • Automotive repairs, general servicing.
  • Motorbike / Scooter / Moped repairs, general servicing.
With the ability to;
  • Employee 1 or 2 intern Mechanics / or Qualified person(s)

I have over 25 years in the industry, using my Propession globably.
And would like to bring my skills home, to Spain, sometime soon - and roll a liked and agreeable platform out onto my own doorstep.

I know there first kind of response is going to be somewhat mirrored of 'doom & gloom' / 'unemployment' / 'current banking woes in the EU'..

What I am looking for, acknowledging the above, is Websites and or Organizations that I could engage with - To formally see is there are any such opportunities available, available in the area that I am proposing.

I have done the right amount of research, as in - There is a need, There is an ability to offer a door to door delivery service, There is an abundance to strike a reputable Price Point.

My research on costs / overheads / parts / outlay, have been taken into account. Armed with that packet, I would like to be able to present as such, to see if there are any starting options available legitimately.

For example, but not limited to;

Rental subsidy for the first X months.
Tax break(s)
Community assistance to part-fund Interns to be trained in a Qualified
environment. ( either through Job seekers or local Collages / Universities )

I look forward to keen advice, aside from the 'sky is falling in' syndrome.
Thanks in advance,

DSB.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 7:08 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting an Automotive / Motorbike Business _ Grants in Valencia...

how did the SWOT analysis come out ??
Old Apr 1st 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Domino
how did the SWOT analysis come out ??
Obviously good, or I wouldn't be asking for more advice.

Strengths
No door to door service available.
No fair deals made to locals.
Pricing on parts from locally procured area are very high.
People are holding onto cars for longer so general repair %'s prevail.

Weaknesses
Economic climte does not help [ applicable to any company starting up ]

Opportunities
No door to door services available.
No one offering NFF, no fee [ free mechanical / electrical inspections ]
No one-stop shops in the area [ catering for all allied trades ]

Threats
Other companies that are around with a customer base

Would like to discuss the possibles w/regards to Grants / Community avenues? It's an area I would prefer to dig into more given the scope that's possibly available to us - through the Forum.

DSB.

Last edited by bealerDSB; Apr 1st 2013 at 7:41 am.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 8:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I know that grants were available for new businesses prior to and at the begiining of the crisis but do not know if this is still so.

Good luck with your further research and the future.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2013, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Rosemary.
DSB.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As a business owner (of not the same type) I would say that your biggest challenge is going to be marketing. Getting your name about will take time and money.

In the UK with the one business I did stuff like advertise in church magazines and send out mail shots using the electoral register. That's not so easy here, and you have to build a reputation

So, I don't know if the local communities / churches have magazines that you could try. I do know that a lot of communities around here have local Facebook sites that mechanics etc advertise on regularly (for free).

As regards grants etc, I don't know but I suspect (especially in this area) that they don't exist
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mitzy....

I used to run my own Company back in the UK and know how hard it is to build a reputation, your only as good as the last job you do...........

Good point about Communities / Churches / Groups.
A good area to tap....

Along the lines of Bowling Clubs, etc etc too....
DSB.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:53 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Thanks Mitzy....

I used to run my own Company back in the UK and know how hard it is to build a reputation, your only as good as the last job you do...........

A good area to tap....

DSB.
Any community mags really .... and as I said, dropping an ad in on a facebook group from time to time would probably pay off. Many UK supermarkets have advertising areas I believe as well
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:09 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Thanks Mitzy....

A good area to tap....

DSB.
Does the growing Russian community have church groups? Obviously communication may be a problem, you'd probably need to converse in Spanish.. Just a thought ( I know here in the UK Polish churches are growing).
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Not thought about non English speaking, of course Spanish, but another good point. Thanks.

DSB.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 12:35 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Like another business here in Spain you will have a mountain of paperwork to go through.
Every workshop I ave seen has a licence plaque outside the premises.
I cannot find anything specifically covering Valencia but here are a few things I have found.
A guide to the paperwork.
A posting on a forum about the change of use for the building.
Maybe to short cut a lot of the paperwork is to rent or buy an existing business. This should only mean you have to transfer the licence(s) onto your name.
There area number on the likes of negocius.com; segundamano or milanuncios will have a number for sale.
At the moment I understand there is some monetary help if you employ youngsters or even persons near to retirement.
This is where a Gestoría comes in handy as they will be up to date with what is available.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 12:46 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are Grants from time to time depending on area. I honestly don't see a Foreigner getting one, they are usually taken by friends and family of the Ayuntamiento.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 12:57 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There are Grants from time to time depending on area. I honestly don't see a Foreigner getting one, they are usually taken by friends and family of the Ayuntamiento.
you mean that they are urdangandadas as soon as they are available?

Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:59 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Not true we have been offered a few. The Mayor is from the wrong party for us.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

My Fiancé is Spanish, I hope to make better links with the Powers locally through our joint efforts. All in all, I have more research to do, but like this stage of the game.

I appreciate everyone’s committal to this thread, and hopefully some good will out... It's about time some sock pulling occurred, positive is the name of the game for me - 2013 !

Thanks again.
DSB.