Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Squatters" in CE

"Squatters" in CE

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Squatters" in CE

One day the squatter will squat in the wrong place and there will be a dead squatter. You could be entering anyone’s house. You certainly would be very vulnerable in a country house if you were a squatter.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
One day the squatter will squat in the wrong place and there will be a dead squatter. You could be entering anyone’s house. You certainly would be very vulnerable in a country house if you were a squatter.
The same could be said of a homeowner taking the law into their own hands.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
The same could be said of a homeowner taking the law into their own hands.
I know someone in England that has his property raided by 3 people in the night. He picked up a kitchen knife and stabbed one of them. One of the thief’s died and he house owner didn’t even get charged. If your on someone else’s property you deserve everything you get. The Americans have it right. Home invaders deserve a bullet to the head.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
I know someone in England that has his property raided by 3 people in the night. He picked up a kitchen knife and stabbed one of them. One of the thief’s died and he house owner didn’t even get charged. If your on someone else’s property you deserve everything you get. The Americans have it right. Home invaders deserve a bullet to the head.
That should be the norm the world over
Old Sep 5th 2021, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
DOWNANDOUT why would lawyers represent these people if the chances of being paid are minimal?

Your last comment is the best advice
Legal pro Bono Bar work. It’s “on hands work experience” and a legal statue of experience required to raise the legal qualification (and pay bracket). Even senior Crown Court barristers in the U.K do it, same for everywhere else in the world.

They help for free to get what they need out of your case, win or not, it’s legally notarised court time.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

That should be the norm the world over
SpExit !!! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Sep 5th 2021, 11:47 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Home CCTV systems are relatively inexpensive these days!!!

I had a DVR installed in my property in the UK for over 10 years. The unit itself cost at least a grand at the time but it could take 16 cameras. I only needed to wire up 8 and that was more than adequate. VCR mainly did 'time lapse recording' which means it took a snapshot at regular intervals. Then along came DVRs and VCR were consigned to the dustbin of history. Although many companies continued to use them long after as they had the VCR units purchasd or they were locked into service agreements. Enough of that. What makes DVRs so great is they have a feature called motion detection triggering, The scene that a CCTV camera is viewing is split into a grid as the image below shows. You can set the sensitivity which means how much movement is permitted before recording is triggered. However, you can also block some areas from triggering recording at all. This could well be something like a neighbours garden or whatever else. Also other areas that contain bushes or trees which move constantly can be prevented from triggering. In the scene below I would select the patio area to trigger recording. I would have another camera higher up on the wall monitoring the garden directly and only select areas which have grass, but no bushes or plants....

These DVRs are very easy to set up and they come in the form of a kit will the DVR and cameras included. If you don't want the hassle of wires running all over the place you can get wireless cameras.

If you have a property in Spain, you would be absolute barking raving mad not to have a CCTV system monitoring it. One or two cameras placed at strategic locations within the property would also be a good idea...

You'll need an internet connection at your propety to be able to monitor the CCTV system. You can do this from your phone or computer. Some of the DVR systems allow you to answer the door and even open it...

These systems provide you with instant notification, if there is an alarm event (motion detection is triggered). They also have relays which can be connected to doors or windows to detect forced entry....

They are systems available to suit every budget.... Just depends on how many bells and whitles you want on your system. You can get very fancy cameras / systems with night time vision and number plate and face recognition. Not sure how legal that is in Spain. In the UK I bought my system privately but I could have put it down as a business expense and used it to offset my tax. However, in the UK at the time if it was a company purchased system then lots of obligations kick in like having to put up notices to wan the public that a CCTV was in operation and members of the public could demand that they had access to your recordings.... However, as a private purchase, none of this applied. I could put the system up and nobody could do a damn thing about it. In my neighbourhood I was the first to install a CCTV system. Now everyone has a CCTV system.... However, in Spain the laws are quite a bit tighter and you would need ensure you do not fall foul of them if you install your own CCTV system and you record in public places, i.e., your front door. For those in flats the camera below is a great yoke! Just fits in your door like a conventional peephole everyone in Spain has in their door, so the neighbours won't even be aware you have a camera there and are recording the toing and froing. If you get a call from the police from time to time, for whatever reason, they might take a rather dim view of such a setup, I've no idea really....

PS - I am not in the CCTV business and not on commission...

Now you know how to defeat burglars or squatters!

Motion Detection Grid

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Sep 5th 2021 at 11:52 am.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Movistar has a good deal going on now..

Movistar Alarmas
Old Sep 5th 2021, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

DOWNANDOUT is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've read you can have all the bells and whistles you want , but it must be monitored by one of the alarm companies in Spain so that they can inform the police of an intruder.

As far as I am aware the police will not visit unless:

1. The alarm company contacts them
2. The owner or a representative is not at the premises.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 9:06 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

downandout, you misunderstand, as the 'bells and whistles' refers to the functionality of the DVR.

Visits by the police referred to matters unrelated to squatters....

That is what you get for speedreading!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

growinspain, that seems like quiet a good deal!

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Sep 6th 2021 at 9:14 am.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOWNANDOUT
From what I've read you can have all the bells and whistles you want , but it must be monitored by one of the alarm companies in Spain so that they can inform the police of an intruder.

As far as I am aware the police will not visit unless:

1. The alarm company contacts them
2. The owner or a representative is not at the premises.
Even then the police have to see evidence of someone moving around the property (or so Securitas Direct tell me).

Old Sep 6th 2021, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Even then the police have to see evidence of someone moving around the property (or so Securitas Direct tell me).
So if there is no guarantee that the Police will attend , maybe a simple 'shock/movement' loud alarm, a good security door coupled with some cheap android phone sensors is adequate (using something called the 'Alfred' app).

On you tube :

Turn Old Smartphones into Security Cameras with Motion Detection FREE Alfred

Last edited by DOWNANDOUT; Sep 6th 2021 at 12:54 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the original thread about this petition has been closed

Petitions: UK Government and Parliament <[email protected]>
To:[email protected]
Tue, 7 Sept at 10:31

Dear Fred,

Sorry, we can’t accept the petition you supported – “Demand Spain Evict Squatters Within 24 hours Of Police Being Notified”.

It’s about something that the UK Government or Parliament is not responsible for.

Click this link to see the rejected petition:
View the rejected petition

We only reject petitions that don’t meet the petition standards:
https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standards

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
Old Sep 7th 2021, 9:13 am
Banned

Creating a UK petition about Spanish legistaion relating to internal affairs...? Bonkers!!!
Old Sep 7th 2021, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately the original thread about this petition has been closed

Petitions: UK Government and Parliament <[email protected]>
To:[email protected]
Tue, 7 Sept at 10:31

Dear Fred,

Sorry, we can’t accept the petition you supported – “Demand Spain Evict Squatters Within 24 hours Of Police Being Notified”.

It’s about something that the UK Government or Parliament is not responsible for.

Click this link to see the rejected petition:
View the rejected petition

We only reject petitions that don’t meet the petition standards:
https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standards

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
Yes , I will need to re-word the petition (maybe as per below). I am assuming the below is something the UK Parliament can consider as a responsibility and will help highlight the issue.

"Warn British Spanish Property Owners About Squatter Laws In Spain"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.