Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spiral staircase. Anyone ditching one?

Spiral staircase. Anyone ditching one?

Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spiral staircase. Anyone ditching one?

Hi I know a few of you are having changes done to your houses. I'm going to ask one expat friend directly but also just thought I'd put a call out, just in case anyone is ditching a Spiral staircase either now or in the future that I'm looking for a second hand one.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:45 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiral staircase. Anyone ditching one?

I would personally think that a second hand one would be difficult to use. So that one does not trip over steps (up or down) the rise must be equal That ideally should be between 115 and 190mm.
The going (the width of the step) should be 240 to 355mm.
The toe (the part that overhangs the step below) can vary, but have the same distance throughout the stair..
The formula to work can be done here.
This is the Spanish wiki on the subject.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I would personally think that a second hand one would be difficult to use. So that one does not trip over steps (up or down) the rise must be equal That ideally should be between 115 and 190mm.
The going (the width of the step) should be 240 to 355mm.
The toe (the part that overhangs the step below) can vary, but have the same distance throughout the stair..
The formula to work can be done here.
This is the Spanish wiki on the subject.
Good point. thanks for the link. However we can adjust the base into normal steps to account for any problems in height if it's too low . And since our ceiling heights are fairly high not many would be too long. But it was a small hope. O just hate it when someone says "oh, why didn't you ask...we've just thrown one out". And actually we can't afford one otherwise. But there is still the chance of building a solid one ourselves in the future.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:30 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I looked for something on line that would help design a spiral stair case. Because obviously some aspects of the design are going to be a bit different. I suppose the rise and going are going to be the same constrains in the design, as a straight staircase.
I would have liked to have found something from the Spanish architects too. But there seems that the information on line is not sufficient. But looking around various I do feel the Spanish have a different concept of how to build stairs/steps then the UK. Having said that it makes sense to have all of the steps equal or you will get problems.
Yes you could sink part into the ground. Maybe cut a part off it will be the last/first step that will be the odd one out. Nothing as nasty as falling down steps...well ok there is, but you know. If the stairs are made of iron and you sink them into the floor make sure that it is damp/waterproof or they will rust.
There area few adverts on websites like milanuncios etc. But I expect you will need a large truck for transportation, unless it is in kit form.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spiral staircase. Anyone ditching one?

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Good point. thanks for the link. However we can adjust the base into normal steps to account for any problems in height if it's too low . And since our ceiling heights are fairly high not many would be too long. But it was a small hope. O just hate it when someone says "oh, why didn't you ask...we've just thrown one out". And actually we can't afford one otherwise. But there is still the chance of building a solid one ourselves in the future.
You might get lucky! Compared to UK Spain has lots, often top floor apartments have one to the roof depends if they are changeling the house arrangements.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Hi there. We might be getting rid of ours next year, if you want to PM me.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Hi there. We might be getting rid of ours next year, if you want to PM me.
PM sent. Thanks for the reply! There's no real rush at all.