Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Speeding fines Spain--How many days to notify

Speeding fines Spain--How many days to notify

Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

supersaint is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding fines Spain--How many days to notify

Can anyone tell me if in Spain you have to be notified within 14 days of any speeding offence as is the case in the UK. Thank you
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding fines Spain--How many days to notify

Originally Posted by supersaint
Can anyone tell me if in Spain you have to be notified within 14 days of any speeding offence as is the case in the UK. Thank you
You will get an on the spot fine if you are not resident, or through the post if it is a hire car or your own UK reg.
Can be anytime, maybe on your next visit through the customs.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a resident you can arrange for speeding fines (radar checks) to be texted or emailed to you.

If you pay them promptly you now get a 50% discount.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:00 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you are a resident you can arrange for speeding fines (radar checks) to be texted or emailed to you.

But, I think the point being made is how do you know if you are about to get one?

If it was a radar check you won't get an on-the-spot fine so how long should you wait before assuming you're not going to get one?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:14 am
Just Joined

supersaint is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
But, I think the point being made is how do you know if you are about to get one?

If it was a radar check you won't get an on-the-spot fine so how long should you wait before assuming you're not going to get one?
Yes--how long from the offence have they got to notify you--In UK it would be 14 days and I want to know if there is a time limit in Spain--Thank you
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supersaint
Yes--how long from the offence have they got to notify you--In UK it would be 14 days and I want to know if there is a time limit in Spain--Thank you
According to one book I have, it is 60 days.

However it may take longer than that for the notification to reach you as it may get held up in the postal system or not delivered at all.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:14 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

This is not the UK so the same rules do not apply.
Never had a speeding fine but a parking fine. I had to wait until I revived a letter in the post. This gives you the details on how to pay and how much discount you can get if paid within a certain time. If you do not pay within this period after receiving the letter than you pay the full wack.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I've had *cough* more than one speeding fine, from fixed camera(s) & the notification arrived through the post with a very high resolution pic leaving the car in noooooo doubt! However as to the OP's question, I guess the only way to find out would be see if there's a FAQ or contact us section on the DGT website?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:27 am
Just Joined

symbol is an unknown quantity at this point

Fred, how did you arrange for an email or text to be sent as I was not aware that this was possible?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by symbol
Fred, how did you arrange for an email or text to be sent as I was not aware that this was possible?
You need to create a secure electronic address for which you need a digital certificate.

There is more about it on the DGT site

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...nternet_movil/

Digital certificates can be used for a large number of secure online transactions.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know what the drink drive limit is in Spain? lots of confusing informmation online, and not even the spanish ppl i have asked knew for sure....
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:42 pm

It is 50mg/100ml for a blood test.

For breath tests it is 25 micrograms/100ml of breath.

For new drivers (less than 2 years holding a licence) and lorries/PSV etc it is 30mg and 15 micrograms.

In the UK the figures are 80mg and 35 micrograms.

I guess the confusion is caused by having two measurement systems.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

It is 50mg/100ml for a blood test.

For breath tests it is 25 micrograms/100ml of breath.

For new drivers (less than 2 years holding a licence) and lorries/PSV etc it is 30mg and 15 micrograms.

In the UK the figures are 80mg and 35 micrograms.

I guess the confusion is caused by having two measurement systems.
Thanks Fred.
So if the breath alcohol limit is 25mg, the machine you blow into shouldnt show anymore than 0,25, right?

also can i ask, are you supposed to change your driving licence to a spanish one after a certain period of time? sorry if this has already been covered.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by featherbum
Thanks Fred.
So if the breath alcohol limit is 25mg, the machine you blow into shouldnt show anymore than 0,25, right?

also can i ask, are you supposed to change your driving licence to a spanish one after a certain period of time? sorry if this has already been covered.
I assume that's the case - I must admit I have yet to have the opportunity to try one!

As for your licence, changing it for a Spanish licence is optional. However if you don't, you must still have a medical and renew it in accordance with Spanish rules. Also if you lose it, it can be difficult to get a replacement if you are not resident in the UK (unless you lie about your address).

There are many opinions about this but the perceived wisdom seems to come down on the side of exchanging it for a Spanish licence. Only you can make that decision.

One final point, in the absence of a residencia card as ID, a Spanish licence runs a good second. UK licences are less likely to be accepted as ID.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Can be anytime, maybe on your next visit through the customs
When you renew a UK photocard licence you have the option to voluntarily link your passport with your driving licence. Think verty carefully about this or you might just get stopped at immigration one day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.