Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Speed Camera Location Warnings Illegal - France

Speed Camera Location Warnings Illegal - France

Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future
Default Re: Speed Camera Location Warnings Illegal - France

We are due to visit the UK in a few months time and our return route is going to be through France to our home in Spain. Where do I get one of the disposable breathalizers from?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
We are due to visit the UK in a few months time and our return route is going to be through France to our home in Spain. Where do I get one of the disposable breathalizers from?
Most UK pharmacies keep them in stock incl.our local Boots.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Thanks you for the quick answer.

This is the first time I have agreed to go from Santander to the UK by boat - now having second thoughts after the recent accident of the cruise ship off Italy. Do you happen to know if the breathalisers are sold in Spain in case we drive up and use Eurotunnel?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:22 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Update on the breathalyser kits.
we all know the law should come into effect from 1 July 2012, but it seems if you do not comply with this law no fine will not be issued until after 1 Nov. 2012. So does that mean just a slap on the wrist?
The link below is naturally in French

French government website
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Update on the breathalyser kits.
we all know the law should come into effect from 1 July 2012, but it seems if you do not comply with this law no fine will not be issued until after 1 Nov. 2012. So does that mean just a slap on the wrist?
The link below is naturally in French

French government website
We will be driving back to the UK soon. I read the french link and it does say that there will be no fine until November. However I don't like to upset the gendarmes so I might buy 2 kits anyway - are they available in Spain? I could always stop at the first supermarket we pass in France. Has anyone been asked to produce a kit in France?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
WHAT ? Even if you're Teatotal ?
Ha Ha Dick, does that mean you don't drink tea
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:54 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy them in spain or a twin pack from Amazon >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FRENCH-APPRO...0542288&sr=8-2

Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Also plenty on Ebay just put in breathalyser. Funny enough I was reading about this in the Sunday Mail and as normal they were blowing it up (excuse pun) . Some expert who by the way manufactures an approved digital device cost £100 plus stated that the bag system was not accurate and realy only showed you had consumed alcohol also that was why the police stopped using them. Well the police did stop using them health and safety was one thing as you have to snip of the glass tube and the method used wasn't great. As for it not being accurate well yes the new police digital system is more accurate and has a pass warn fail system so easy at the roadside. However whether it was a bag system or electronic that is not the evidence the police use it just gives them the power / reasonable suspicion you have consumed too much alcohol and you are put on a different analyser at the police station that provides the evidence and print outs for court. You don't think this guy was trying to convince people to buy his digital system Nah he wouldn't do that would he? The Mail then carried out a comparison stating how the tube system didn't seem to detect alcohol at what they considered the French legal limit and the person tested ended up drinking over twice what they thought was legal before it indicated fail. They then checked with digital system that showed just over limit, so that tells me the bag did work what a great piece if investigative journalism that was.
As for Sat Navs I believe on some you can turn the speed warning system on and off don't know if that would get around the law. Some Sat Navs can be set to speed limits and will give warning if you go over that speed that is different to camera warnings I wonder if that is against the law? if it is maybe we should all just get rid of speedos and go back to walking pace with a man with red flag in front. By the way I do not condone speeding but can see nothing wrong with a tone that just reminds you to check speed, as unless you set a speed limiter it is all too easy to inadvertently drift slightly over the speed limit in some circumstances and anything that prevents this has to be good for road safety, not of course the idiot who intentionally drives like and idiot and slams the brakes on when he gets a warning. Of course in the UK drivers have been successfully prosecuted for flashing other motorists to warn of mobile speed cameras.

Last edited by bobd22; Jun 24th 2012 at 4:05 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile
Do you know where you can buy them in Spain? Carrefour (Feu Vert) ??
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

It's worth remembering that these DIY testers have a finite shelf live, typically 18 months or two years, but are subject to degradation by being stored in elevated temperatures, just like you'd find in the glove box of a car in 40c !

bobd22

If you are writing a long missive please add some line breaks, it's extremely difficult to read otherwise.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
It's worth remembering that these DIY testers have a finite shelf live, typically 18 months or two years, but are subject to degradation by being stored in elevated temperatures, just like you'd find in the glove box of a car in 40c !

bobd22

If you are writing a long missive please add some line breaks, it's extremely difficult to read otherwise.
Sorry you are right
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No doubt the use by date will be printed on the packaging and the Gendarmerie will check it is in date.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Take a european accident form and a camera. Your reflective jacket must be in reach of the driver plus one for passenger, they must have the CE mark. In France, the 2Xbreathalyser kit must have FR mark and be within use by date.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

The OH got caught speeding in the UK about 18 months ago. He was doing 37mph in a 30 zone. He knew he was in for a ticket because the camera flashed. Couple of weeks later a form arrived for me from the police asking for details of the driver (I was the registered keeper of the car). Filled out the necessary parts and got the OH to sign that he was driving the car.

After a few weeks I received a letter from the Police quoting all these wonderful Acts, Sections, subsections etc informing me that it was an offence to lie on the form and state that someone else was driving the car. They provided two photographs of our car - showing the OH in the driving seat, and me in the passenger seat.

I wrote back to the Police and told them the tone of their letter was awful and that I never lied about who was driving my car. Also if they looked closely enough at the car they will see it is a left hand drive - confirming that the OH was driving the car.

My final letter from the Police told me that under the circumstances they would cancel the fine and the points and no action would be taken.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EllisG
they have been that hard for years..timing you between toll booths is another favourite trick of theirs. Fortunately I tend to speed to a service station and have a coffee and walk the dog which helps avoid the risk of being caught by that one.

ps Dick, they'll have to catch me first
Toll tickets are time-stamped, they're not used for speed enforcement.

Just one of those urban myths that has been around for decades and never seems to go away.

The list of requirements grows longer by the year

-British motorists must display a GB plate and have their headlights adjusted to the right.

-The vehicle must be equipped with a warning triangle.

-Reflective safety vests (1 per occupant) must be kept INSIDE the car – not in the boot.

-A set of bulbs is no longer compulsory but you can be fined for driving with a broken light.

Since January, French law has prohibited drivers from carrying any device capable of detecting speed cameras.

If you haven't disabled camera alerts you can be fined at the roadside – up to a maximum of €1,500 – even if the device is not in use. Regarding this, as a regular driver between UK and Javea, I have opted to disable POI's on my Tom Tom while transiting France.

I used to have a Snooper 3D radar/laser detector in the beast but now leave it at home in the UK as there is a 750 Euro fine for even having it in the car and, if they prove it was in use, possible confiscation of the vehicle.

From July 1 – though it is not being enforced until November 1 – drivers and motorcyclists must carry a breathalyser kit with the French certification mark NF.
The breathalysers cost about £2 and can be bought at ferry and tunnel terminals, they are also available on Amazon - got mine from Amazon - note there should be at least two in the car.

Despite the rules driving in France is a really enjoyable experience although now I consider the route I use very carefully. Now leaning towards using the non toll roads and traveling through the night. I have always noted in the past that the Police seem more relaxed when 50+ miles from Calais.

Even so for this summers trip down we will go via Hook of Holland rather than the tunnel. The French rules give us an excuse to go via Nurburgring, take in the Salzburg Mozart festival and the Alps and make the trip a proper tour rather than just getting from A to B. Plus we can use the German unrestricted autobahns in the Mustang and Viper to exercise the cars properly (puts on tin hat)...

Last edited by Mykap; Jun 25th 2012 at 3:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.