Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Speed Camera Location Warnings Illegal - France

Speed Camera Location Warnings Illegal - France

Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:27 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed Camera Location Warnings Illegal - France

Originally Posted by jimenato
Can anyone explain to me why they should make these speed camera warnings illegal apart from the obvious desire to collect lots of fines? Is there any safety reason at all or is it purely financial? My Garmin warns me that I'm going to fast whether or not there are speed cameras about. I would have thought that anything that helped you to keep to the speed limit would be a safety benefit.

Absolutely!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:14 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone explain to me why they should make these speed camera warnings illegal apart from the obvious desire to collect lots of fines? Is there any safety reason at all or is it purely financial? My Garmin warns me that I'm going to fast whether or not there are speed cameras about. I would have thought that anything that helped you to keep to the speed limit would be a safety benefit.
Thanks for that.
I've often wondered what all those different aggravating dings and dongs were for on my garmin.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Consider a car to be similar to a cruise missile, but not quite so accurate or reliable.
It is kept on course to its planned destination, but all thats needed to turn it into a deadly killing machine of innocents along the way, is a minor malfunction, deviation or momentary lapse in concentration of the driver, all of which are greatly exacerbated by excess speed or alcohol in the system.
or dropping the ciggy on your lap, or reaching for and using the cigarette lighter, or unruly kids in the car, or answering the phone, or texting, or reaching for that map on the back seat, or spilling your coca-cola or...........
in fact all manner of things will divert the driver's attention for that fatal second or less that will lead to injury or death.

in different circumstances the motor car would be banned as being too dangerous. Perhaps it should be the humans that should be banned as too dangerous
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:34 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
If you break the law, pay the 'tax'. Suggestion; don't break the law and then you'll have nothing to whine about.
So you have never broken a law?
Let he who is without sin.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Riggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
1500€ fine and the device or vehicle confiscated .... ouch

You also need to carry a disposable breathalyser.

If you are riding a 125 or over moto you need to wear reflective clothing.

Talking on a mobile has gone up to 135€ and 3 points, also other fines have increased.
Hi JDR, and the rest of the thread/forum.
From the north downwards they have started dismantling all the speed camera warning signs as well. It hadn't reached the far south west near the Pyrenees where I have just moved from a few weeks ago. Also, the cost of living is sky high there now, you won't believe the food prices....most of it is on a par with UK now.
Also, I believe it is only OVER a 125cc m'bike that requires reflective clothing, having recently changed my UK license for a French one.
Cheers,
Riggy.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
So you have never broken a law?
Let he who is without sin.
I have, and I paid the price, didn't moan. As the old saying goes, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

Can't stand whingers who break the law and then say its not fair. Its simple - know the speed limits and keep to them. If you disagree, get your MP to change the law. That's how democracy works, or would you prefer that we just obey the laws that we agree with?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:22 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
I have, and I paid the price, didn't moan. As the old saying goes, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

Can't stand whingers who break the law and then say its not fair. Its simple - know the speed limits and keep to them. If you disagree, get your MP to change the law. That's how democracy works, or would you prefer that we just obey the laws that we agree with?
But if a warning to slow down which after all is the point of the whole speed camera thing is made illegal cannot you see the absurdity there? Why on earth would they make a safety feature illegal?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

But if a warning to slow down which after all is the point of the whole speed camera thing is made illegal cannot you see the absurdity there? Why on earth would they make a safety feature illegal?
I think I've said before, I've nothing against safety measures. But if you drive you should know the law, know the speed limits, and if you don't and get caught, drive more carefully in future. What's so difficult about that? If you can't manage that, catch a bus or take the train.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

does it really matter ?...I cut across France to get to Luxembourg 3 years ago setting off every speed camera in sight never heard anything more about it. Do they now pursue foreign plated cars ?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
does it really matter ?...I cut across France to get to Luxembourg 3 years ago setting off every speed camera in sight never heard anything more about it. Do they now pursue foreign plated cars ?
Prepare thyself for the full rath and indignation of BE to fall upon ye from a great height.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Do they now pursue foreign plated cars ?
Don't know about Spain but UK and France will soon have an agreement, already in the pipeline. Also, speeding laws have been really tightened in recent years and if you get pulled by the Gendarmes for speeding it's an on the spot and they will frog march (forgive the pun) you to the nearest cash machine if you don't have the cash. Watch out for solid white lines at stop signs, if you don't stop for a couple of seconds, again they will spot fine you. Got the t shirt....
Riggy.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Riggy
Don't know about Spain but UK and France will soon have an agreement, already in the pipeline. Also, speeding laws have been really tightened in recent years and if you get pulled by the Gendarmes for speeding it's an on the spot and they will frog march (forgive the pun) you to the nearest cash machine if you don't have the cash. Watch out for solid white lines at stop signs, if you don't stop for a couple of seconds, again they will spot fine you. Got the t shirt....
Riggy.
they have been that hard for years..timing you between toll booths is another favourite trick of theirs. Fortunately I tend to speed to a service station and have a coffee and walk the dog which helps avoid the risk of being caught by that one.

ps Dick, they'll have to catch me first
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=EllisG;9838568]I tend to speed to a service station and have a coffee and walk the dog QUOTE]

...doesn't that sort of defeat the point of speeding? Might just as well truck on at a half decent pace all the way...
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Riggy;9838605]
I tend to speed to a service station and have a coffee and walk the dog QUOTE]

...doesn't that sort of defeat the point of speeding? Might just as well truck on at a half decent pace all the way...
where would the dog pee and who would make me an espresso ?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:17 am
On the road again.

they have been that hard for years..timing you between toll booths is another favourite trick of theirs. Fortunately I tend to speed to a service station and have a coffee and walk the dog which helps avoid the risk of being caught by that one.

ps Dick, they'll have to catch me first
Much the same myself,I like to make reasonable progress, but both the mutt and myself need to water the horse at regular intervals when doing about 1000km a day running on diet coke (about the only time I touch it).

I'm not sure about France but both the UK and Spain are moving towards average speed traps.

I thought all those black cut-out imitation dead bodies wherever someone had been killed, were quite a good idea in France,though I haven't seen them lately as I now use a different route.

Ppl have been telling me for years that EU countries exchange info to penalise speedsters caught on camera with foreign plates, but I have yet to meet anyone whose actually been done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.