Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To Speak or Not to Speak (Spanish)

To Speak or Not to Speak (Spanish)

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough
Default To Speak or Not to Speak (Spanish)

What are peoples' views here about migrants to Spain learning the language and if you are learning/have learned yourself what tips do you have. There are some great programs and Apps available to people today and it seems to me that there has never been a better time to learn at least the basics particularly as so many words are almost the same in English and Spanish.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/ed...ont-expats-in/
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Speak or Not to Speak (Spanish)

My view is we should at least try and learn the language but yes it more difficult than many people think to learn a new language, especially when one gets older. However we should try as best we can . Some just seem to refuse to do so preferring to speak loudly in an odd English accent. Of course many of us move to Spain to retire which tends to be part of the problem the brain and memory is not at it's best for some by then. Of course younger people settle and bring up children in Spain the children learn naturally both English and Spanish fluently. The same happens in the UK with people that move there. However the fact that British and Americans speak "English" with differences (same as American Spanish" I think doesn't help, as many other countries do speak English which tends to favour those that can't be bothered . I keep trying to do my best slowly slowly, I know my Spanish neighbours do appear to appreciate when you try and make a bit of conversation with them.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

I am doing OK - using the dripping water method which hopefully will eventually wear away the stone. I find verb tenses a little difficult and it often takes me too long to think of a reply in Spanish. On the positive side my reading of Spanish is getting better and I pick up more when watching Spanish language films. I'll never be fluent but at least I can now do a little more than order a wine and ask for the toilets. The Wlingua App is a fantastic little program which I have found really useful, I just wish I had started when I was a little younger.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
What are peoples' views here about migrants to Spain learning the language and if you are learning/have learned yourself what tips do you have. There are some great programs and Apps available to people today and it seems to me that there has never been a better time to learn at least the basics particularly as so many words are almost the same in English and Spanish.

It's a must in Spain !! The transformation in quality of life when you do speak the language is amazing. Very difficult to do remotely, need to be in the country and listen to it. I remember learning my numbers watching basketball on the TV , scoring is quick and the commentator pronounces the numbers as they show up on the screen. Generally exposure to TV, particularly the news will help immensely as you will probably know what is being presented either from the images or from similar stories in the UK press. Start with basics, ordering coffee in a bar, shopping in a supermarket and so on. What you cannot avoid is that you are looking at a two year or so slog if you really want to use the language.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Try and sign up to the escuella oficial de idiomas. It is cheap and is of a high quality with certified teachers. You will need to do a final year exam as it is government funded. Apps don't really get you that far. You need to get versed in the basic structures and vocab first in a live situation. After this things like TV will rub off but without it you won't really advance a lot. I got to B2 level with the School but started at A2. I agree that once you have Spanish life changes totally and you really get to feel you live in Spain. Without it you tend to fall into the expat net where everything is in English and you are effectively isolated from Spanish society. Go for it!!
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have finished Duolingo but struggle with runtogether words and general vocabulary. Talk to the locals, even a little bit and they will help you more than can imagine. I will never be fluent, but I can talk to most people for a while before getting lost. I am also quite deaf so have to lipread a lot.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

uk03878 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SimonJ22
I have finished Duolingo but struggle with runtogether words and general vocabulary. Talk to the locals, even a little bit and they will help you more than can imagine. I will never be fluent, but I can talk to most people for a while before getting lost. I am also quite deaf so have to lipread a lot.
I found watching this very very helpful - its filmed in the first person with interactive questions and hints

Click on "watch the interactive episode"

EDIT - I can't post the URL but search google for this
mi vida loca bbc episode 1
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk03878
I found watching this very very helpful - its filmed in the first person with interactive questions and hints

Click on "watch the interactive episode"

EDIT - I can't post the URL but search google for this
mi vida loca bbc episode 1
Phrasebooks are all well and good but you also have to be able to understand the responses. I have found as I get better as speaking Spanish I get worse at hearing it because people judge you on your pronunciation and general phrasing, as you improve they speak more quickly and with bigger words. I have to ask them to separate the words and often what is this word means.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SimonJ22
Phrasebooks are all well and good but you also have to be able to understand the responses. I have found as I get better as speaking Spanish I get worse at hearing it because people judge you on your pronunciation and general phrasing, as you improve they speak more quickly and with bigger words. I have to ask them to separate the words and often what is this word means.
its not a phrase book, it’s a TV mystery drama which is also a interactive language lesson
Old Aug 28th 2018, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you uk03878. I will have a look at that
Old Aug 28th 2018, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Where we live speaking the language is a must. However, being far inland, our neighbours speak a dialect not pure Spanish which is an added complication. I would say though that when we lived on the coast in Alicante, and where we are now, the Ayuntamientos both did free Spanish lessons for foreign residents wishing to learn the language. Might be worth a check.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk03878

its not a phrase book, it’s a TV mystery drama which is also a interactive language lesson
OK, I need subtitles and they were really odd so I only watched a couple of minutes. I got the feeling it was learning phrases, my bad.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

It took me a few goes to get my learning style right. I switched on the English and the Spanish subtitles as well
Old Aug 29th 2018, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest

It's essential you make an effort to learn some Spanish, as everyone here says. I agree with 1sexsmith, enrol in your local Escuela Oficial de Idiomas, usually as from early September. It's about €80 for a year, twice a week, so therefore subsidised. Self learning is OK if you're disciplined, but nothing beats a teacher up front at the chalk face. Within 4 years you could be at the C1 stage (pretty proficient), depending on your age & motivation.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to learn some very rude Spanish you should watch the comic Inspector Torrente movies. I have watched the first four with english subtitles.
I wish we had a language school in Italy like the one in Spain.