British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish words ending in "es" ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-words-ending-es-446629/)

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 9:26 am

Spanish words ending in "es" ?

Can any of you fluent Spanish speakers help me out here?

I'm looking for suitable Spanish words ending in "es" to register as domain names. The registered domain would look like resourc.es

I'm thinking particularly of words or phrases that suggest themes such as: environmentally-friendly, sustainable living, green, renewable energy, low-energy house building - all with a hint of hi-tec involvement.

The plan is to host my public web site tracking the research, development, and build of my Spanish straw-bale home on the domain.

keithwalters May 2nd 2007 9:30 am

Re: Spanish words ending in "es" ?

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple (Post 4727057)

I'm looking for suitable Spanish words ending in "es" to register as domain names. The registered domain would look like resourc.es

I'm thinking particularly of words or phrases that suggest themes such as: environmentally-friendly, sustainable living, green, renewable energy, low-energy house building - all with a hint of hi-tec involvement.

The plan is to host my public web site tracking the research, development, and build of my Spanish straw-bale home on the domain.

Clever thinking!

I don´t know if it´s true, but when my wife tried to register a domain name ending in .es she was told by her graphic designer that this was reserved for a particular type of company (S.L. or something). As an autonoma she was told she couldn´t have .es and had to choose something else instead.

That was about 3 years ago, but like I said...I would double check this info.

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 9:40 am

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4727071)
I don´t know if it´s true, but when my wife tried to register a domain name ending in .es she was told by her graphic designer that this was reserved for a particular type of company (S.L. or something). As an autonoma she was told she couldn´t have .es and had to choose something else instead.

I think it has changed a lot, Keith.

However I am a fully accredited domain registrar myself and can register 2nd and 3rd level .es domains. My wholesale cost is, I think, about €7,50 per year.

keithwalters May 2nd 2007 9:40 am

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple (Post 4727057)

But in case I´m wrong, how about:

www.casassostenibl.es
www.casasverd.es
www.construccionesverd.es
www.somosverd.es

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 9:48 am

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4727109)

Ok, you're going to have to give me some English translations I'm totally lost :o :rofl:

P.S. You can ommit the "www" - its rarely used these days, its just a legacy from when a host-name needed some clue as to what service was to be found on it. The prefix http: is how it should have been done, but www had too much inertia.

keithwalters May 2nd 2007 9:52 am

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple (Post 4727146)
Ok, you're going to have to give me some English translations I'm totally lost :o :rofl:

sustainablehouses.es
greenhouses.es
greenconstructions.es
wearegreen.es

What would you like to say in English? As long as it is plural it can probably be translated as something that ends .es

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 9:54 am

To make this more interesting, how about we turn it into a competition?

Who-ever comes up with the domain I finally choose, I'll register and host (on my servers) their own domain free-of-charge.

The domain doesn't have to be a .es, it can be com, net, org, biz, info, eu, uk, us, tv, mobi, and a whole host of others that I forget now :)

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 9:59 am

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4727155)
What would you like to say in English?

I was going to say I only want the English so I understand the ideas and reaction the Spanish domain name will illicit, but thinking about it I should probably also register the English version on .org, and have both domain names point to the same site.

The words should give Spanish speakers interested in the subject a desire to visit the site upon seeing the domain name.

As I'm intending the site to be dual-language (once I develop fluency in Spanish) that would work quite well.

YMF May 2nd 2007 11:54 am

Hi
I have not got any clever web site names, all the ones I can think of are already taken but I wondered if you knew about the straw bale house that has been built near to Chiclana?
The project has been featured in 4 copies of La Luz Magazine, http://www.laluzmag.com/ unfortunatley the available PDFs on the website do not go back far enough for you to download them. I do have all the copies here and could try to scan them in for you.
It does say in the last arcticle that you can contact Mark and Siobahn via their website at http://www.naturalresourcesgroup.co.uk
Hope you find this useful
Yvonne

keithwalters May 2nd 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple (Post 4727166)
To make this more interesting, how about we turn it into a competition?

Who-ever comes up with the domain I finally choose, I'll register and host (on my servers) their own domain free-of-charge.

The domain doesn't have to be a .es, it can be com, net, org, biz, info, eu, uk, us, tv, mobi, and a whole host of others that I forget now :)

I take it you don´t like my ideas so far :(

Maybe just "the greens". Losverd.es

or an English name: strawbalehous.es

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by YMF (Post 4727520)
...I wondered if you knew about the straw bale house that has been built near to Chiclana?

Thanks for that information, Yvonne. I may have seen that house - could it be this one? That web site has quite a few casas de balas de paja listed and in its photo-gallery.

If you have the issue number(s) of La Luz where the house is featured I'll put it in my research notes in case I or others are interested in the future.

keithwalters May 2nd 2007 12:32 pm

Where are you going to build the house by the way? Maybe that would help with domain name ideas.

IntuitiveNipple May 2nd 2007 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4727627)
I take it you don´t like my ideas so far

Not at all, but when choosing domain names I do a lot of research into the psychology and meaning of the options, and I like to choose from a wide variety of options that address different aspects of the topic.

I've been checking on English names that are currently registered that match their Spanish counterparts - I'd hate to choose a fabulous Spanish domain name and find the equivalent English name already registered :curse:

For example, ecohousebuild is available across all the primary TLDs (top-level domains) but I'm not sure whether the Spanish equivalent would trip off the tongue quite so well.

The good thing is, although I'm looking for a primary name to host the site with that captures the spirit, I can register any number of other domain names and set the server to alias them to the primary name.

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4727673)
Where are you going to build the house by the way?

If I knew that...! :D Most likely it'll be Andalucía, probably inland from the Costa del Sol area.

YMF May 2nd 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple (Post 4727670)
Thanks for that information, Yvonne. I may have seen that house - could it be this one? That web site has quite a few casas de balas de paja listed and in its photo-gallery.

If you have the issue number(s) of La Luz where the house is featured I'll put it in my research notes in case I or others are interested in the future.

It is featured in issue 9,10,11, & 12

keithwalters May 2nd 2007 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple (Post 4727694)
Not at all, but when choosing domain names I do a lot of research into the psychology and meaning of the options, and I like to choose from a wide variety of options that address different aspects of the topic.

I've been checking on English names that are currently registered that match their Spanish counterparts - I'd hate to choose a fabulous Spanish domain name and find the equivalent English name already registered :curse:

For example, ecohousebuild is available across all the primary TLDs (top-level domains) but I'm not sure whether the Spanish equivalent would trip off the tongue quite so well.

The good thing is, although I'm looking for a primary name to host the site with that captures the spirit, I can register any number of other domain names and set the server to alias them to the primary name.

If I knew that...! :D Most likely it'll be Andalucía, probably inland from the Costa del Sol area.

ecoconstruccion.es (ecoconstructions)

Pretty much everything I can think of is in the plural - I haven´t yet thought of a Spanish word ending in "es" that is singular.

Where´s Fuzzy? I think she is Spanish and being a brand new mod she must be around here somewhere!