Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I have to say I haven't eaten there for about 2 years now......do they still give the wine away then?
It's about two years since I last went or certainly a year ago. Not sure if they still give it away.

Marinas Meubles in Pedregeur also give away bottles of Alicante wine. Even if you just pop in to look around. Not sure what it's like as my OH tends to neck it before I get a look in.

Last edited by montgomail; Jun 18th 2007 at 5:16 am. Reason: added a bit.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:20 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Riberas....please tell me more. I had some Riberas del Duero (Spelling ?) at a party last year and was smitten.... never see it in the supermarkets here, and not always in the cheaper ones in Spain. Carrefour sell it. I love it's hint of sweetness. Delicious....six days to go before I am over and cracking that first bottle...

Of the reasonably priced I love Protos and Balbas, if you feel that you like Ribera I am certain that you'll like any of these. Having been a Ribera drinker for many years I feel that these wines have much more body than Riojas and I don't like Rioja wines though they are excellent wines... I also don't mind having a wine from Navarra now and then and you'll probably like these wines too, they tend to be very mellow, fruity and a little sweet...

Surprisingly enough Ribera del Duero wines are much easier to find in Colorado than they were in England! I am chuffed about this!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:49 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anabella
Of the reasonably priced I love Protos and Balbas, if you feel that you like Ribera I am certain that you'll like any of these. Having been a Ribera drinker for many years I feel that these wines have much more body than Riojas and I don't like Rioja wines though they are excellent wines... I also don't mind having a wine from Navarra now and then and you'll probably like these wines too, they tend to be very mellow, fruity and a little sweet...

Surprisingly enough Ribera del Duero wines are much easier to find in Colorado than they were in England! I am chuffed about this!
Hell.... it's going to be such hard work trying out all these wines over the next two weeks.....I shall be too exhausted to get off the lounger and may need a holiday to recover.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:05 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

All of these posting and no one has suggested wines from Galicia?
The white called Albarino is said to be one of the best whites in Spain. Personally we don’t like white so we plump for the local red; Ribeira Sacrá. A young wine, no reservas and is easy to drink. Luckily for us we have a neighbour who produces a good table wine for us. Plus we have contacts with some local producers if our customers want something with a label.

http://www.espavino.com/spain_wine_r...eira_sacra.php
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:38 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hola!
How about a chilled Galician Albarino (tilde on the "n")?
Carol
Originally Posted by Lochy
You tried Martin Codax? Stunning stuff.
Is that an albarino, Lochy? Not sure about the names.
Yep, really good albarino. Might want to try lagar de cervera if you can't get hold of martin codax.
I've seen some albarinos in the shops at that price - per bottle.
Carol
Should be able to get a martin codax for 8 or 9 euros a bottle. Worth it though, on the odd occasion.

Partial to a bit of laphroig I must say. But the king of whisky is Lagavulin, and you get that here no bother. And Bunnnahabain (no idea if that's spelt right), Oban, Highland Park... You seem to find Glenrothes a lot as well, and you can barely find that in The UK.
Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
All of these posting and no one has suggested wines from Galicia?
The white called Albarino is said to be one of the best whites in Spain. Personally we don’t like white so we plump for the local red; Ribeira Sacrá. A young wine, no reservas and is easy to drink. Luckily for us we have a neighbour who produces a good table wine for us. Plus we have contacts with some local producers if our customers want something with a label.

http://www.espavino.com/spain_wine_r...eira_sacra.php

There's a few mentions for ya!!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:56 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we did a quick search for Galicia, but not the DO.

Next time we will look better.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Hell.... it's going to be such hard work trying out all these wines over the next two weeks.....I shall be too exhausted to get off the lounger and may need a holiday to recover.
Hola!
Yes, indeed, but you've all that reading to catch up with a glass of chilled beside you!
Regards,
Carol
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

oh yuck! just read the bits (heave!) about bragas and mocos!!
Have you no shame?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:10 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

oh yuck! just read the bits (heave!) about bragas and mocos!!
Have you no shame?:lol:
Is that a rhetorical question?????????????