Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:06 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spanish Wines... any favourites?

They do tend to be more expensive, normally looking at 10 euros plus for a bottle. I'm not an expert so Protos and Pesquera are fairly safe bets to go for. Any recommendations for specific wines, Anabella?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:17 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Riberas....please tell me more. I had some Riberas del Duero (Spelling ?) at a party last year and was smitten.... never see it in the supermarkets here, and not always in the cheaper ones in Spain. Carrefour sell it. I love it's hint of sweetness. Delicious....six days to go before I am over and cracking that first bottle...
It's a bit of a lottery really on whereabouts you live in Spain. For example, in the Huelva area, and for much of Cadiz I notice, all the supermarkets tend to take the same kind of brand names, yet in other areas you won't find any of these names!!!! And vice versa!!! In other parts of Spain I find it easy to get the different types of Protos but in Huelva, it's tough, though not impossible. Also, in other parts of Spain I've been to in any given supermarket there's a vast selection of Riberas, but you may get lumped with just a selection of three or four in other areas.

Clearly it's down to the suppliers in the different areas.

Do a little test. Choose several restaurants and and supermarkets in various towns near you and you'll probably find yourself coming across the same names all the time.

GOOD TIP:
Riberas come from the Castilla-Leon region around Vallodolid but NOT all wines from this area are Riberas
You'd be surprised at the number of waiters who make this mistake. The most common one I've found they make the mistake with is Yllera. This is NOT a Ribera but appears on some supermarket shelves and wine menus erroneoulsy listed as such. In a quite posh restaurant in Chiclana I had great fun watching a waiter backtrack after smugly insinuating that I, as a foreigner, couldn't possibly tell him, the Spanish wine waiter, about Spanish wines. After consulting his boss, he came out a couple of minutes later with a grovelling apology, watched by the other diners. I milked the moment, of course
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:45 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
In a quite posh restaurant in Chiclana I had great fun watching a waiter backtrack after smugly insinuating that I, as a foreigner, couldn't possibly tell him, the Spanish wine waiter, about Spanish wines. After consulting his boss, he came out a couple of minutes later with a grovelling apology, watched by the other diners. I milked the moment, of course
Of course then he talked to the cook and your waiter, who spat a huge lugy into your paella...which you of course thought was an oyster.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:27 am

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Of course then he talked to the cook and your waiter, who spat a huge lugy into your paella...which you of course thought was an oyster.
All adds to the flavour
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:40 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

All adds to the flavour
That well known Ribera, Escupitajo del Camarero. A classic.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:44 am
The Best Fed Scot

It's fruity little wine with plenty of nose.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Lochy
That well known Ribera, Escupitajo del Camarero. A classic.

Indeed. A fine accomponiment to Gambas en Mocos del Chef with a side dish of Verduras Sudadas en las Bragas de la Limpiadora. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:52 am
The Best Fed Scot

Indeed. A fine accomponiment to Gambas en Mocos del Chef with a side dish of Verduras Sudadas en las Bragas de la Limpiadora. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!
Always found those a little salty.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:01 pm

Always found those a little salty.
Definitely fishy!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:07 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Definitely fishy!
Is 'mocos' the secret ingredient in salsa verde then?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:13 pm

Is 'mocos' the secret ingredient in salsa verde then?

Shhh....don't spread it around!!!

Think we've hijacked this enough now. Back to wine.

I'm still surprised by how many people still think the word Rioja translates as red wine. You know - Vino Blanco, Vino Rioja.

Just the other day some bloke here was saying that the white rioja I had couldn't be a rioja because it was white. It was Monopole by the way, a decent white I find
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Shhh....don't spread it around!!!

Think we've hijacked this enough now. Back to wine.

I'm still surprised by how many people still think the word Rioja translates as red wine. You know - Vino Blanco, Vino Rioja.

Just the other day some bloke here was saying that the white rioja I had couldn't be a rioja because it was white. It was Monopole by the way, a decent white I find
You can have any colour you like ....... as long as its black, Henry Ford. ;-)
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:26 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by jdr
You can have any colour you like ....... as long as its black, Henry Ford. ;-)
And what they mean of course is Vino Rojo. Red wine.

Was surprised when I was travellng around la rioja. Traffic lights never go red, they go tinto.

Like my Ruedas when it comes to white although there are some nice riojas as well. Mantel Blanco is a favourite, as a good mid priced white.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:23 pm

And what they mean of course is Vino Rojo. Red wine.

Was surprised when I was travellng around la rioja. Traffic lights never go red, they go tinto.

Like my Ruedas when it comes to white although there are some nice riojas as well. Mantel Blanco is a favourite, as a good mid priced white.
Never tried it. Will look for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.