Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:52 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Protos is my favourite too. If you ever get the chance, visit the village where it's made - Peñafiel in the province of Valladolid. From where you are in Donostia it's not a bad run as it's only around 20km from the A1 Burgos-Madrid motorway near the Aranda exit (number 156 if memory serves) and it's only around 2 1/2 to 3 Hours or so.

It's a beautiful village and the castle that overlooks it is now home to the Protos bodega and museum. Nearly every restaurant serves "lechazo", the local nickname for Cordero Lechal (suckling lamb...mmmmmmm!!!!), and it has a very special recipe. Quite simply I've never tasted better lamb. Some places only serve this and nothing else!!!!!!!! The table wine they give you will more than likely be Protos.

Great day out, but better staying over so as to really enjoy the wine
Glad your online, wait there a sec.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:53 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Glad your online, wait there a sec.

Waiting......intrigued
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:56 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting......intrigued
I have posted elsewhere.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:08 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Lately we've been on a Borsao kick- Borsao 2002 Campo de Borja, as they seem to have penetrated the uS market...and it's only $7 a bottle.

Other than that, most any Ribera del Duero...Marqués de Cáceres, and most all Cariñena Garnacha tintos.

Some day I will be able to afford a bottle of Vega Sicilia...and see if it is worth it.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:20 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Bunnahabhain - if in doubht, stick in an "h" after another consonant! Not a scotch drinker myself, but am surprised there's one called Glenrothes! Learn something new everyday...

Any nice vinos rosados?

Hasta luego,
Carol
God knows how you spell it, couldn't be bothered googling it!

Good Rosado is Cresta Rosa. I'm struggling to remember the name of another I like. I'll post it when it comes to me. David Moreno is also very good, but not sure what distribution is like, you may have to go to the cellar.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:26 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Protos is my favourite too. If you ever get the chance, visit the village where it's made - Peñafiel in the province of Valladolid. From where you are in Donostia it's not a bad run as it's only around 20km from the A1 Burgos-Madrid motorway near the Aranda exit (number 156 if memory serves) and it's only around 2 1/2 to 3 Hours or so.

It's a beautiful village and the castle that overlooks it is now home to the Protos bodega and museum. Nearly every restaurant serves "lechazo", the local nickname for Cordero Lechal (suckling lamb...mmmmmmm!!!!), and it has a very special recipe. Quite simply I've never tasted better lamb. Some places only serve this and nothing else!!!!!!!! The table wine they give you will more than likely be Protos.

Great day out, but better staying over so as to really enjoy the wine
I was there! Actually it was when I was travelling around Castilla Leon that I found out that I l iked Riberas. I was just asking for red wine when I went to the bars in the area and couldn't believe how nice it all was.

My wife's sisters boyfriend (still with me) has a house in la rioja and we head down sometimes. You just can't go wrong in any bar down there. The Calatrava cellar in Ysios is amazing and I think they've now opened the Gehry one too for, err, Marques de Caceres?

Vega Sicilia, 1970, Gran reserva. One day, one day...
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:48 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Bunnahabhain - if in doubht, stick in an "h" after another consonant! Not a scotch drinker myself, but am surprised there's one called Glenrothes! Learn something new everyday...

Any nice vinos rosados?

Hasta luego,
Carol
I remembered. Vina Sardasol. Lovely Rosado.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:53 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by ironporer
Lately we've been on a Borsao kick- Borsao 2002 Campo de Borja, as they seem to have penetrated the uS market...and it's only $7 a bottle.

Other than that, most any Ribera del Duero...Marqués de Cáceres, and most all Cariñena Garnacha tintos.

Some day I will be able to afford a bottle of Vega Sicilia...and see if it is worth it.
Don't know Borsao, what kind of wine is that?

Isn't garnacha is an Argentinian grape? Don't see much of it in Spain.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
& the white's good for marinating
I always refuse it now - once bitten ...
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
Don't know Borsao, what kind of wine is that?

Isn't garnacha is an Argentinian grape? Don't see much of it in Spain.

http://www.bodegasborsao.com/pages/primii.htm

Garnacha is the most commonly cultivated grape in Spain:

http://www.tascarestaurant.com/resou...a/garnacha.htm
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
I always refuse it now - once bitten ...
I have to say I haven't eaten there for about 2 years now......do they still give the wine away then?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:26 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Any Ribera for moi but I am a bit biased, of course, since I lived in Valladolid for 15 years.

This weekend was the 25th Food and Wine Festival in Aspen, I would have loved to check it out if the tickets didn't cost $1000 ... I am determined to get hold of a pass from somebody next year (passes are "only" $2500 ) and tell you all about it. In the meantime here is a very constructive link to Spanish wines...
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:06 am
Straw Man.

and some would say grows its finest in Spain actually.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:08 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by anabella
Any Ribera for moi but I am a bit biased, of course, since I lived in Valladolid for 15 years.

This weekend was the 25th Food and Wine Festival in Aspen, I would have loved to check it out if the tickets didn't cost $1000 ... I am determined to get hold of a pass from somebody next year (passes are "only" $2500 ) and tell you all about it. In the meantime here is a very constructive link to Spanish wines...
Cool link, thank you lovely lady.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:36 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anabella

Riberas....please tell me more. I had some Riberas del Duero (Spelling ?) at a party last year and was smitten.... never see it in the supermarkets here, and not always in the cheaper ones in Spain. Carrefour sell it. I love it's hint of sweetness. Delicious....six days to go before I am over and cracking that first bottle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.