Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Wines... any favourites?

A good cheap white one is Liria from Mercadona .
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:29 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
First time I tried one I had a smoked pork loin at a restaurant in Jerez, at a place that was plastered in photo's of famous people. It was just off a square next to a church.

Ahhh! A square next to a church! That narrows it down a bit.

I´m tryin to think of a restaurant with fotos of famous people but can´t at the minute. However there are loads that have the walls plastered with famous bullfighters and flamenco singers. If it´s one of those I´ll never guess it!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:46 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

It's worth a trip to la rioja to really have an experience of a wine producing region. The villages feel saturated with the smell, taste and colour of red wine. I visited a cellar called David Moreno, the crianzas have won a whole bunch of awards, but you can buy a 15 litre box of their 'joven' wine for about 30 euros, which is better than most other normal crianzas you'll find. The cellar is nice for a wander too.

It's all good though...and you can't beat a bit of calimotxo.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:47 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Ahhh! A square next to a church! That narrows it down a bit.

I´m tryin to think of a restaurant with fotos of famous people but can´t at the minute. However there are loads that have the walls plastered with famous bullfighters and flamenco singers. If it´s one of those I´ll never guess it!
Right smart arse, you go down the Avda. Alcalde Alvaro Domecq, past the big horse and carriage statue, and at the end of that road there is a church on the left. Turn right there, and down that road on the right is a little restaurant.

Only Spanish and most of the pics looked political
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:50 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
It's all good though...and you can't beat a bit of calimotxo.
We had a thread running about that a while back
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:56 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

We had a thread running about that a while back
Regarding having a night ouit drinking numerous pints of calimotxo and still coming home with change from 5 euros?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:57 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Lochy
Regarding having a night ouit drinking numerous pints of calimotxo and still coming home with change from 5 euros?
No, about the name of Calimocho.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:07 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so I am just going to lower the tone a little bit Not a word from Matt and Keith please But, I am an a total an utter lager lout. Give me a Cruz Campo any day Dont drink wine and never have, it floors me so I stay away from it. Plus I dont like the taste of it
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:12 pm
The Best Fed Scot

No, about the name of Calimocho.
What about the name of calimotxo?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:16 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by sam parky
Ok so I am just going to lower the tone a little bit Not a word from Matt and Keith please But, I am an a total an utter lager lout. Give me a Cruz Campo any day Dont drink wine and never have, it floors me so I stay away from it. Plus I dont like the taste of it
Yeah, but you've got to go with what's on offer where you are. Wines here are good. Beers here are, generally, pretty limited.

Whisky also very good though. Good range and generally costs the same in euros as it is in pounds back home. I pass the white horse distillery on the way to glasgow airport and even after shipping costs it still costs less. That can't be right.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule I find any wine that lists the Tempranillo grape on the label is ok, never found a bad one yet.

And the cheap stuff they sell in the mercadona at €3.75 for 5lts!! is ok for Tinto verano
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:28 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Right smart arse, you go down the Avda. Alcalde Alvaro Domecq, past the big horse and carriage statue, and at the end of that road there is a church on the left. Turn right there, and down that road on the right is a little restaurant.

Only Spanish and most of the pics looked political
I think the church you´re talking about is Santo Domingo, so the road on the right will be Tornería. But after that I´m lost as Tornería must have about 100 bars/restaurants. I´ll systematically try them all out and get back to you in about 19 weeks when I´ve found the right one. This Rioja and smoked pork loin had better be worth it!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:31 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by sam parky
How about lots of words then? Several have occured to me.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
A good cheap white one is Liria from Mercadona .
we used to drink that......then we discovered an even cheaper one there at 78c a bottle - L'Antigon, comes in red or white

I bought it for cooking, and tried a glass....it's on the sweeter side, but infinitely drinkable well chilled (red or white)

in fact so infinitely drinkable there's none left in the fridge & I had to just fish an empty out of my recycling box to check the spelling
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
As a general rule I find any wine that lists the Tempranillo grape on the label is ok, never found a bad one yet.

And the cheap stuff they sell in the mercadona at €3.75 for 5lts!! is ok for Tinto verano
or home made sangria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.