Reload this Page >

Spanish wealth tax

Spanish wealth tax

Old Apr 12th 2020, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Sailingmed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish wealth tax

Hi all,

We have been a huge fan of Spain for years now, we actually have a boat based in Valencia so very familiar with the Costas and feel in the next 2 or 3 years we may want to move there (depending on how things look after the transition period). I've been doing preliminary research and one major sticking point would appear to be the wealth tax. Having sold a business a few years ago I have a couple of large discretionary portfolios and a good size sipp (I'm 42 so can't touch this until I'm 55) so as it stands the wealth tax would clobber me (and make my current UK tax bill look small!). Are there any ways around this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish wealth tax

Originally Posted by Sailingmed
Hi all,

We have been a huge fan of Spain for years now, we actually have a boat based in Valencia so very familiar with the Costas and feel in the next 2 or 3 years we may want to move there (depending on how things look after the transition period). I've been doing preliminary research and one major sticking point would appear to be the wealth tax. Having sold a business a few years ago I have a couple of large discretionary portfolios and a good size sipp (I'm 42 so can't touch this until I'm 55) so as it stands the wealth tax would clobber me (and make my current UK tax bill look small!). Are there any ways around this?

Thanks in advance.
If worried about wealth tax, you're in a good position anyway. If it's a problem the best option is to not make Spain your main residence. Keep two homes and enjoy both countries at the best time. At least you still have something to look forward to and it's more enjoyable. Of course a tax expert will probably be best in your situation.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If worried about wealth tax, you're in a good position anyway. If it's a problem the best option is to not make Spain your main residence. Keep two homes and enjoy both countries at the best time. At least you still have something to look forward to and it's more enjoyable. Of course a tax expert will probably be best in your situation.
Thanks for the reply

We may consider 2 homes but we were planning to blow the budget somewhat on the spanish home which would make a uk home a little difficult. I've emailed a couple of recommend tax advisors to see how things look. We dont plan to do anything for a couple of years as we want the dust to settle over corona and Brexit (although that may be never ending) and see if the suggested property crash occurs and see if euro comes back in gbp's favour.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"I want the benefits of living in this country but I do not want to pay tax". Hmmmmmm.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
"I want the benefits of living in this country but I do not want to pay tax". Hmmmmmm.
I'm all for paying tax, its just the wealth tax could be such substantial (rough calc suggest 2 times income tax again) so if this can be legally minimised through good advice then so be it
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

The wealth tax is only a small percentage of what you have over 700,000 euros at the time of purchase excluding your main residential home, certainly that's how i understand it, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Again as far as i remember it it's only 1% tax rate on the amount to be taxed so not much money equivalent to one's wealth so probably not much to worry about
Old Apr 13th 2020, 12:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The base allowance is 700k each and your primary residence is exempt up to 300k, so 600k for joint ownership, so that totals 2m for a couple.

The rates vary slightly by region, but there are 8 tax bands from about 0.25% up to a maximum of around 3% over 10m.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 2:38 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,

You say you have contacted a couple of tax advisers; If you haven't already, then contact Blevins Franks who are experts on tax and have offices in both countries.
Usual disclaimer, I have no interest in Blevins Franks except as a satisfied customer

Davexf
Old Apr 13th 2020, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,

You say you have contacted a couple of tax advisers; If you haven't already, then contact Blevins Franks who are experts on tax and have offices in both countries.
Usual disclaimer, I have no interest in Blevins Franks except as a satisfied customer

Davexf
Thanks, Blevins Franks are one of the companies I've sent an enquiry over to.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
The wealth tax is only a small percentage of what you have over 700,000 euros at the time of purchase excluding your main residential home, certainly that's how i understand it, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Again as far as i remember it it's only 1% tax rate on the amount to be taxed so not much money equivalent to one's wealth so probably not much to worry about
I don't know the answer to this, but how likely is it that the 700,000 amount will be lowered and the tax rate will be raised in the near future? Spain will take a HUGE hit from corona in terms of budget deficit and debt to GDP. I cannot see them lowering this tax that's for sure.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by m2m2012
I don't know the answer to this, but how likely is it that the 700,000 amount will be lowered and the tax rate will be raised in the near future? Spain will take a HUGE hit from corona in terms of budget deficit and debt to GDP. I cannot see them lowering this tax that's for sure.
I'm hoping the allowances won't be adjusted down. We are still 2 or 3 years away from making the move anyway so hopefully all things Corona and Brexit will be clearer by then
Old Apr 15th 2020, 2:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, if I was worth as much as €10m I would not have a problem contributing a mere €250k to the ailing Spanish economy.

i certainly would not worry about it.

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 15th 2020 at 2:51 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same as you Fred. IMO Spain is better to live in than the UK and if you want to travel 1st class you have to pay extra.

But maybe that's why we're not worth €10
Old Apr 16th 2020, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Personally, if I was worth as much as €10m I would not have a problem contributing a mere €250k to the ailing Spanish economy.

i certainly would not worry about it.
I wouldn't have a problem either IF I had been born and raised in the country (I had used the schools, my kids had used the schools, hospitals, etc.) and had become wealthy via sources from within the country. To move to Spain to retire and be hit with a wealth tax...no thank you! Plenty of other countries to choose without a wealth tax. You can always donate to charity if you want to help the less fortunate.

Old Apr 16th 2020, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lagoo
I feel the same as you Fred. IMO Spain is better to live in than the UK and if you want to travel 1st class you have to pay extra.

But maybe that's why we're not worth €10
Dealing with mind numbing bureaucracy is 1st class?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.