Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Water charges - help

Spanish Water charges - help

Old May 7th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Spanish Water charges - help

Sorry if this information has been posted already but I have searched and haven't found any details to help me.

We've been in our house in Catalonia for 5 months and just received our first water bill for 639 euros for 3 months. It seems horribly high given there are only 2 of us and I don't think we do anything excessive with water. For example we have an automatic watering system in our garden but have never used it. We only shower, there isn't much we could cut back on. We've used 143 cubic meters according to the bill. Its in catalan so its not entirely clear how its calculated. There is a charge of 422.30 euros for the water including a service charge and then something else called a 'Canon de L'Aigua'.

If our bill is going to be this much every quarter we'll be paying twice what our council tax was in the UK. With the current exchange rate we'll be stuffed.

Any thoughts or information will be very welcome, thanks
Old May 7th 2008, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish Water charges - help

As a very rough guide Rose, expect a family house to use around 1 cubic metre a day. If it is much more then suspect a leak somewhere or excessive usage such as sprinklers. If you are only 2 and are careful you might get it down to half a cube a day. No hablo Catalan, lo siento.
Old May 7th 2008, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Water charges - help

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Sorry if this information has been posted already but I have searched and haven't found any details to help me.

We've been in our house in Catalonia for 5 months and just received our first water bill for 639 euros for 3 months. It seems horribly high given there are only 2 of us and I don't think we do anything excessive with water. For example we have an automatic watering system in our garden but have never used it. We only shower, there isn't much we could cut back on. We've used 143 cubic meters according to the bill. Its in catalan so its not entirely clear how its calculated. There is a charge of 422.30 euros for the water including a service charge and then something else called a 'Canon de L'Aigua'.

If our bill is going to be this much every quarter we'll be paying twice what our council tax was in the UK. With the current exchange rate we'll be stuffed.

Check your water mater over a few hours when you are absolutly not using water it should not move. If it does then you either have a leak or someone else is connected to your supply pipe. Also check that your automatic system is not coming on in the middle of the night.
Old May 7th 2008, 3:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That's a huge amount of water for domestic consumption - 1000 litres - a ton a day!

Most water companies have a band of charges which depend on your usage and if you go over a certain amount they can escalate very quickly.

It sounds like you have a faulty water meter or a leak somewhere - not uncommon.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:00 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Found this site that may be of use?
http://mediambient.gencat.net/aca/en...anon/inici.jsp
Canon de l'aigua is just water rates.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's a huge amount of water for domestic consumption - 1000 litres - a ton a day!

Most water companies have a band of charges which depend on your usage and if you go over a certain amount they can escalate very quickly.

It sounds like you have a faulty water meter or a leak somewhere - not uncommon.
Average reported consumption per head is 150 litres per day. Family house of 5 brings this to an average of 750 litres. Factor in less than best efficiency washing machine, toilet flushes etc and you can easily get to 1000 litres a day for a family house. When you get to double the average you are being really wasteful but then some houses and some people are really wasteful. Sounds as tho Rose is not one of them so it leads to a leak or the garden "canon" being a possibility. I recall in the UK before water metering there was an extra charge for garden sprinklers because they can use so much.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks folks - we don't have a key for our meter but I'll get one asap and check how its moving. In some ways its a relief to know that the consumption level is above normal, now we just have to find some way to fix it!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:55 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked if it is an ACTUAL reading or an ESTIMATED one? If the previous one was estimated then they may now be catching up with previous usage?

If it is estimated, then phone through the correct figures.

When you moved in, did you read the meters?
Old May 7th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here 5 years, have a pool, washer etc etc, we shower rather then bath and our bills have never been over 30 euros a quarter, except when we first filled the pool.

In Fact I know 2006 was 105.95 cents

pwwm
Old May 7th 2008, 9:46 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Hi Rose

I know this really does not help re your present bill I suggest for a few euros pay a Gestor who will make the enqs with the water company on your behalf.But if your house has land attached, Have you thought about getting your own well sunk. I have one and it just cost 13 euros to change the name on the license. You have of course have to seek permissions but once the initial cost has been outlaid the only cost is electricity to pump the water from the well to your holding tank. If the bills you are getting are more or less correct then this must be your way forward, Land and space permitting.If you would like to have an independent well, it really shouldn't cost you the earth. But before you start water divining and digging, it might be a good idea to get a professional quote if you get a well remember to have a slush fund just in case that pump all those meters below ground decides to call it a day if your neighbour has a well you can always approach with regards sharing theirs And get a key for your meter box ASAP

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 7th 2008 at 10:01 pm.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
We have been here 5 years, have a pool, washer etc etc, we shower rather then bath and our bills have never been over 30 euros a quarter, except when we first filled the pool.

In Fact I know 2006 was 105.95 cents

pwwm
You really cannot compare water bills like you can compare electricity bills.

It depends on whether you are on a town supply or on an agricultural supply or even on an urbanisation supply.

I pay about 15 centimos/m3 - I know someone within 15km who pays 3€/m3

If my maths is correct that is about 20 times as much as I pay.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Spanish Water charges - help

Well we didn't wait to get a key, we broke into our meter box last night with a pair of pliers and surprise, surprise it was merrily recording water usage somewhere. We located the stopcock for the automatic garden watering system, turned it off and the meter stopped running.

I'm delighted that we may have located the problem so quickly, thanks to everyones suggestions, but I'm pretty fed up to think we have been losing so much water in this way. Its particulary ironic as we tried to stop our builder installing the watering system but he insisted. Catalonia has a severe water shortage and we are banned from watering gardens, cleaning cars etc anyway - not that the locals seem to take much notice. I can't understand the spanish attitude to water, they don't even install guttering as standard. I shall definitely be saving up for some to connect to a water butt as soon as possible.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well we didn't wait to get a key, we broke into our meter box last night with a pair of pliers and surprise, surprise it was merrily recording water usage somewhere. We located the stopcock for the automatic garden watering system, turned it off and the meter stopped running.

I'm delighted that we may have located the problem so quickly, thanks to everyones suggestions, but I'm pretty fed up to think we have been losing so much water in this way. Its particulary ironic as we tried to stop our builder installing the watering system but he insisted. Catalonia has a severe water shortage and we are banned from watering gardens, cleaning cars etc anyway - not that the locals seem to take much notice. I can't understand the spanish attitude to water, they don't even install guttering as standard. I shall definitely be saving up for some to connect to a water butt as soon as possible.

Thanks again for everyones help.
I would chase up the builder if it has been leaking because of his bad workmanship, and give him the bill.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Spanish Water charges - help

Don't even start me on the builder. He has just presented us with 2 electricity bills because it took so long for us to get our meter installed - something to do with new regulations. The first bill is OK but the second one is for an estimated reading on the temporary meter for a period which extends past the time they took it away!! The electricity company have taken money from our bank account without sending us a bill and we're now chasing them for that so we can prove we've paid already.

I'm looking forward to the day when all our utility bills are in order and coming to the correct address. Haven't managed it yet with Telephonica either in spite of calling them several times.
Old May 9th 2008, 12:06 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Rambling Rose;6323718]Don't even start me on the builder. He has just presented us with 2 electricity bills because it took so long for us to get our meter installed - something to do with new regulations. The first bill is OK but the second one is for an estimated reading on the temporary meter for a period which extends past the time they took it away!! The electricity company have taken money from our bank account without sending us a bill and we're now chasing them for that so we can prove we've paid already.

Rose if you feel the Water/Electricity company has taken money unjustly you do have a month to cancel that particular bill they are not going to cut you off but you will find here all these company's grab the money from your account every quarter/month. Just take the slip showing the payment back into your bank and cancel the payment or use internet banking and do it on the computer. You will find all of a sudden the company listen to your complaint. If they are right re their charges you just re activate payment. I suggest you use internet banking as you can cancel bills and reinstate them from your arm chair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.