Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish villa owner not returning holiday rental deposit

Spanish villa owner not returning holiday rental deposit

Old Apr 5th 2024, 3:24 am
Just Joined

terrygriff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish villa owner not returning holiday rental deposit

Hi, my wife and I stayed in a holiday villa for January and February 2024 in the Valencia region and booked direct with the owner. We had a basic rental contract which outlined the payment timetable and the security damage deposit ( 250 Euros ) as we travelled with 2 small dogs.

All went well with the rental and the villa was confirmed as in good condition when we left by the owners representative and we also took lots of photos proving the villa was left in good condition.

Now, some 5 weeks after returning to the UK, we are still waiting the return of our security deposit from the owner. I am chasing the owner weekly on Whatsapp and getting apologies and promising to get to it but the money never appears.

I know it's not a massive amount but it's the principle for me and I'm now at the position where I want to get more assertive with the owner but conscious if I do I might get blocked / prevented from future contact.

Does anyone have any suggestions / ideas on how I might pesuade the owner to return our money, I know I can use the bad review angle but as it was booked direct I don't really have a platform that I can put the negative feedback on?

Do I have any potential legal recourse or file a complaint with a tourist licensing people? I can't believe the owner is causing such a bad experience and writing off potential future rentals from us.

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2024, 9:49 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish villa owner not returning holiday rental deposit

In my opinion …….
You have more chance of getting any idea of the truth of what is going on in the world via the MSM (or BBC for that matter) than getting your money back from this owner.
Such is life nowadays, just let others know via feedback who they are likely dealing with.
Old Apr 5th 2024, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you can see this villa being advertised on rental sites, I would not hesitate to write a review.

Most owners do both direct and rental sites.
Old Apr 5th 2024, 10:08 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's the municipal consumer office if you stayed in Valencia city but that's in-person only. If you didn't stay in Valencia city then the town where you stayed should offer a similar service.

There's regional tourist office which will accept your compant online but first of all you must set up a Cl@ve PIN.

The usual amount of time given to do something is 15 days, perhaps the threat of making an online complaint in 15 days will miraculously make the money appear, or at the very least a bank transfer receipt proving it's on its way.

Last edited by DLC; Apr 5th 2024 at 10:15 am.
Old Apr 5th 2024, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in contact with the person then just keep reminding them. If they genuinely don't want to pay you they would block you or simply not write back. They are clearly not disputing things - so I would hang in there a bit longer. If you start writing bad reviews as this stage then you probably will sour the relationship further and have to go through alotore hassle to get the money
Old Apr 5th 2024, 8:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Ask them for their complaints book. If they don't have one then report them to the local tourist office and/or police
Old Apr 6th 2024, 6:34 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Denuncia at the town hall. They might accept online