Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish TV via Satellite

Spanish TV via Satellite

Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all
Default Spanish TV via Satellite

Does anyone on the forum receive their free Spanish channels via satellite? My digital antenna is obstructed by a large hill and consequently the channels are often unavailable or break up.

I know a satellite dish can be used (and I just happen to have an obsolete one on my roof) but am having a problem finding out what channels are available. Are there more than via an antenna?

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2014, 11:01 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish TV via Satellite

You need to look for TDT Para Satellite -
Its is a subscription free service that people who can prove they have no TDT signals can use.
It uses the satellites at 30 west - and requires a special decoder and card - as the channels are actually encrypted (they are part of the canal+ subscription service, but this card offers access without subscription).

You will get most of the main channels, but not the local ones.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

That's great information - I had a Spanish installer round who told me that the TDT signal was blocked but that I could get channels via satellite. He said I would need to provide my GPS location and my landlord's name and that then he could provide a box and move the dish. Now I understand why.

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 15th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

If anyone else is interested in getting Spanish channels but don't have TDT reception information on the satellite alternative is here http://www.televisiondigital.es/TDT/Paginas/sattdt.aspx
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Danish neighbours have a small dish and a terrestial antenna, which does not point at the local repeater but at a hillside.
Their English, which they think is fluent, is at best a dialect of Yoda, so to say that they are difficult is one of the great understatements.
They have told my wife that we should get "Astra" which they say has many English channels. It is not clear where they are getting this "Astra" from.
Any Ideas ?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

They might mean Astra 19.2 but I am sure The Guy can tell more. You can see what channels are available on Astra from Torrox by going here http://www.onastra.com/how-to-receive and dragging the marker on the map to your location.

If the channels broadcast in dual language (dubbed and VO) for English films etc then this could be a good choice, or if you are proficient in another language of course.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

It will no doubt be the Astra satellites located at either 19.2 east or 23.5 east.
Although they don't carry any "English" channels as such many of the channels do show films and programs in the original language.
But in order to watch them you will need to take out a subscription with one of the package providers eg D+ España available on 19.2east

oops beaten to it by marqumoone
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
You need to look for TDT Para Satellite -
Its is a subscription free service that people who can prove they have no TDT signals can use. .
Free subscription, but €300 for the box - plus dish if you haven't already got one.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

or if you are proficient in another language of course.
Does Mancunian qualify ?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

300 euros! I could subscribe to canal plus for that and get a free box. Better check my options re Spanish TV again
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:30 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
They have told my wife that we should get "Astra" which they say has many English channels. It is not clear where they are getting this "Astra" from.
Any Ideas ?
There ar various Astra groups of satellites.
Each group provides different "territories" TV.

Asta 1 - located at 19 east carries mainland Europe services, like Canal+ SPain, Sky Germany, French satellite tv...
Astra 2 - UK TV at 28 east
Astra 3 - at 23 east - german HD TV

TDTparasatellite comes from 30 west - hispasat.

Confusion comes as Canal+ Spain comes from both 30 west and 19 east - a legacy from when Canal+ and Viadigital, one on each satellite, merged many moons ago.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Metronomic box which is connected to the same dish as the Sky box, as they are both SCART connected I just have to switch on the box I want to view and it automatically connects (obviously having switched off the other box). I get about 20 channels of which a number carry USA programs (eg Discovery) which have original language soundtrack. So we can actually view quite a lot of English language material - although much of the content is rubbish and repetetive and of course all the ads are in Spanish so we get a nice language lesson as we watch!
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
We have a Metronomic box which is connected to the same dish as the Sky box, as they are both SCART connected I just have to switch on the box I want to view and it automatically connects (obviously having switched off the other box). I get about 20 channels of which a number carry USA programs (eg Discovery) which have original language soundtrack. So we can actually view quite a lot of English language material - although much of the content is rubbish and repetetive and of course all the ads are in Spanish so we get a nice language lesson as we watch!
I have one of those from my pre Sky days. i will give that a try and see what I can get.There is only so much 30 year old challenge TV I can take.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ
We have a Metronomic box which is connected to the same dish as the Sky box
Sky UK comes from satellites at 28 east.
TDT PAra satellite comes from 30 west.
Unless your dish is motorised, and controlled by the Metronomic box, you CANNOT get both of these on the same dish.

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
I have one of those from my pre Sky days. i will give that a try and see what I can get.There is only so much 30 year old challenge TV I can take.
To access TDT PAra satellite on 30 west you will need to correct viewing card, and receiver, as they channels are NOT free to air, they are encrypted and part of the Canal+ pay system.
The card "unlock" just those channels that are on TDT, so areas with no TDT coverage can still receive digital TV.

Last edited by The Guy; Feb 16th 2014 at 8:23 am.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
Sky UK comes from satellites at 28 east.
TDT PAra satellite comes from 30 west.
Unless your dish is motorised, and controlled by the Metronomic box, you CANNOT get both of these on the same dish.

To access TDT PAra satellite on 30 west you will need to correct viewing card, and receiver, as they channels are NOT free to air, they are encrypted and part of the Canal+ pay system.
The card "unlock" just those channels that are on TDT, so areas with no TDT coverage can still receive digital TV.
I don't know about TDT all I know is that it works for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.