Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Teraccotta tiles

Spanish Teraccotta tiles

Old May 1st 2008, 10:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Teraccotta tiles

One for the Mr Bricomen amongst you. I want to put tiles on the tops of my walls, and have spied some rather nice Terracotta tiles at a local yard which would fit nicely and enhance my viewing pleasure whilst sitting in my garden sipping my G&T.

When I put tiles like these on my kitchen floor in the UK I had to wax them (lyrically) and apply three million coats of linseed oil.

Has anyone layed these on an exterior wall in Spain? Do they need any kind of treatment?
Old May 1st 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Teraccotta tiles

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
One for the Mr Bricomen amongst you. I want to put tiles on the tops of my walls, and have spied some rather nice Terracotta tiles at a local yard which would fit nicely and enhance my viewing pleasure whilst sitting in my garden sipping my G&T.

When I put tiles like these on my kitchen floor in the UK I had to wax them (lyrically) and apply three million coats of linseed oil.

Has anyone layed these on an exterior wall in Spain? Do they need any kind of treatment?
Aren't the roofing tiles made of the same here? At least I think mine are. Don't do anything with those!
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:57 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Wink Re: Spanish Teraccotta tiles

My neighbor has them along the top of his wall around the pool and he leaves them their natural colour. I take it they are of the curved roof variety and not flat as you mention floor tiles,They seem to throw off the rain no problem as they are baked I think in a kiln. I have flat marble type material around the tops of the walls around my pool and find the rain washes between each of the gaps and down the white wall and leaves a black streak down to the ground :curse:thats why I asked the question I hope they are of the curved variety, so putting these tiles along the top of the pool surround is a sound idea and they are rather cheap and when finished look the biz so go ahead More bergs and veg with that Gin Sir

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 2nd 2008 at 2:28 am.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:48 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Mitzboy means roofing tiles but regular flat tiles for topping off his walls.
You need to ensure you buy exterior quality ie frostproof. The treatment of terracotta tiles is to prevent staining and facilitate cleaning because they're very porous. If you using them on top of a wall they're not going to be subjected to much traffic (!) so it isn't strictly necessary to treat them...but if you're going to use a coloured grout then you will need to treat them (before laying) so that the pigment from the grout doesn't seep into the tiles.
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly View Post
I don't think Mitzboy means roofing tiles but regular flat tiles for topping off his walls.
You need to ensure you buy exterior quality ie frostproof. The treatment of terracotta tiles is to prevent staining and facilitate cleaning because they're very porous. If you using them on top of a wall they're not going to be subjected to much traffic (!) so it isn't strictly necessary to treat them...but if you're going to use a coloured grout then you will need to treat them (before laying) so that the pigment from the grout doesn't seep into the tiles.
Thanks for that. Yes, you're right I mean flat tiles. I would lay them at a slight angle with an overlap to enable water to run off without marking the wall. I'd use a grey grout.

So buy treatment I take it you mean linseed oil and wax?
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

shadydaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mitzyboy
I recently used a water repellant on terracotta tiles and it has sealed them and also protects the area underneath from getting damp
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:36 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by shadydaze View Post
Hi Mitzyboy
I recently used a water repellant on terracotta tiles and it has sealed them and also protects the area underneath from getting damp
Oh thanks for that. I already have some water repellant.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks for that. I already have some water repellant.
Leave them as they are... Rustico
You only need to seal them to stop dust indoors.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:32 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Leave them as they are... Rustico
You only need to seal them to stop dust indoors.
But then someone above said that they will absorb the colour from the grout
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Try a patch test.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

But then someone above said that they will absorb the colour from the grout
I have seen that happen on ceramic but not on teracotta.
As bill says put a couple on the wall dry and grout them and see what happens.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzy

Excuse the stupid question, but do you get any frost ? if the tiles are porous terracotta's and they get soaked they may start to blow, also if they are getting constantly wet with hosing down or whatever this may make them a bit flakey..a bit like me !!
I guess you could seal them with a waterproofer unless you love rustico, I have them all round the house and will do nothing with them.
On top of my terrace walls I used Ladrillo's( I think that's how you spell it) and think they look good, I am not going to treat them.
Is it not about time we had some new pictures of all this work you are doing ?

BB.
Attached Thumbnails Spanish Teraccotta tiles-16may07-001.jpg  
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69 View Post
Hi Mitzy

Excuse the stupid question, but do you get any frost ? if the tiles are porous terracotta's and they get soaked they may start to blow, also if they are getting constantly wet with hosing down or whatever this may make them a bit flakey..a bit like me !!
I guess you could seal them with a waterproofer unless you love rustico, I have them all round the house and will do nothing with them.
On top of my terrace walls I used Ladrillo's( I think that's how you spell it) and think they look good, I am not going to treat them.

BB.
You`re paying your brickie too much money, he`s far too fat.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:17 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69 View Post
Hi Mitzy

BB.
No we haven't had anything near a frost so far here. I will post a pic when I've done it, but that might be a little while
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

We used these on our part of our exterior wall several years ago. They looked nice in the shop! They did absorb the red grout that the builder used (although the box said not to use coloured grout). He had to spend days trying to rectify the situation (not easy!). They have since acquired a white deposit in places (salts?). On cooler walls they have absorbed water as terracotta does and have algae on them. Its OK if you like a very weatherbeaten look, but its not what I had in mind! I wouldn't use them again, sealed or unsealed. There are so many nice ceramic alternatives in the shops that look very similar.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.