Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish taxes questions

Spanish taxes questions

Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:19 am
Just Joined

bonesey333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish taxes questions

Good morning, tried to locate an answer to our question without success, so here it is.

We have seen responses about when to sell your property in UK and then when to move to Spain so don't get stung with any spanish taxes. It seems like its best to sell our house this year and then wait until next year to move to Spain, to ensure the Spanish tax man can't ask us to pay any taxes on our sale proceeds, is that correct?

We would have circa £275k sitting in our UK bank account after our UK sale this year 2022, so if we then move to Spain via the Non Lucrative Visa (NLV) route next year 2023, (we own a property outright near Benidorm), and simply live in Spain on the UK property sale proceeds for the next 10 years at say £20k a year, would we have to pay any Spanish taxes at all every year on that £20k as its not a salary or pension?

Last edited by bonesey333; Jan 31st 2022 at 8:53 am. Reason: Amended
Old Jan 31st 2022, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Spanish taxes questions

Originally Posted by bonesey333
Good morning, tried to locate an answer to our question without success, so here it is.

We have seen responses about when to sell your property in UK and then when to move to Spain so don't get stung with any spanish taxes. It seems like its best to sell our house this year and then wait until next year to move to Spain, to ensure the Spanish tax man can't ask us to pay any taxes on our sale proceeds, is that correct?

We would have circa £275k sitting in our UK bank account after our UK sale this year 2022, so if we then move to Spain via the Non Lucrative Visa (NLV) route next year 2023, (we own a property outright near Benidorm), and simply live in Spain on the UK property sale proceeds for the next 10 years at say £20k a year, would we have to pay any Spanish taxes at all every year on that £20k as its not a salary or pension?
You pay tax on income not on capital. If you were to earn interest on those savings it would be the interest that you are liable to pay tax on. Get yourself some professional tax advice as a lot of what you get told on this forum is out of date or personal opinion.

Also don't believe everything written about tax domicile etc, get proper advice. I have a really good company that I have used to sort out my position which is more complicated as I am split between the UK and the Spain for work.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...O-CONSIDER.pdf
Old Jan 31st 2022, 10:16 am
Just Joined

algarveboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. AI Wealth in Barcelona have just released a comprehensive guide for British Expats moving to or living in Spain which includes advice and case studies on selling both UK and Spanish properties. You can download it here (just copy paste as I don't have permission to post URLs apparently) : aiwealth.eu/wealth-management/guides
Old Feb 1st 2022, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Richielisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

As I understand it you need a minimum income of €2,259.60pm and for each dependent a further €564.90pm. This, I believe, can be made of pension/investments/savings etc and applies to the non-lucrative visa
Old Feb 1st 2022, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

bonesey333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richielisa
Hi,

As I understand it you need a minimum income of €2,259.60pm and for each dependent a further €564.90pm. This, I believe, can be made of pension/investments/savings etc and applies to the non-lucrative visa
We are not seeking answers to the Non Lucrative Visa requirements as we are fully aware of them. What we are in need of, is answers to our 2 questions
Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that will exempt you from Spanish capital gains tax. Alternative is to sell while you are resident in Spain and then invest the whole proceeds into buying a home in Spain, within 2 years, though I understand that's not in your plan.

You don't pay any Spanish income tax on a lump sum, only on any interest you receive, after fairly small personal allowance. NLV is valid for a year initially, then you renew for two years twice (showing twice the annual income requirement each time), then after 5 years in Spain you can apply for permanent residence. You will need private medical insurance.

Last edited by Joppa; Feb 1st 2022 at 1:13 pm.