Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Tax Treatment of UK Rental Income

Spanish Tax Treatment of UK Rental Income

Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Tax Treatment of UK Rental Income

I'm a little confused about how UK rental income is treated when making a Spanish tax return.

I was talking to my Sister yesterday, who is resident in Spain, about taxation. She correctly declares her UK rental Income on her UK self assessment return.

She uses an English speaking agency to complete her Spanish tax return.
The income figure they used for the return was the gross amount, that is without any deductions for expenses or mortgage interest. The mortgage on her UK property is 'Interest Only' and therefore the net rental income is very small. As a result she is currently paying a lot of Spanish tax.

It is my opinion that she should only be declaring the net rental income and not the gross.

If this is indeed the case, could an amended return be submitted and the tax paid to date be refunded?

Also whilst trawling the net for information on this subject I came across an article that stated that only 50% of the net rental income need be declared in Spain whether that income was derived from a UK or a Spanish property.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:00 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Tax Treatment of UK Rental Income

You pay tax on 40% of the net rental income. Mortgage interest and other costs are allowable expenses. These rules do not apply to holiday lets, only long term lets.

The 60% reduction is going down to 50% next year.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Fred, I thought that you would know.

I don't suppose you have a link to where this is written down do you, before I go and complain to the offending agents.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:26 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?id=BOE-A-2006-20764

Articulo 23
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you very much Fred.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You pay tax on 40% of the net rental income. Mortgage interest and other costs are allowable expenses. These rules do not apply to holiday lets, only long term lets.

Dear Fred if one say owns three properties and unencumbered and save for agents fees + Vat and day to day mtce and say the net is £20k are you saying please that Spain takes £8k

These would be long term UK lets as under the Landlord and Tenant Act and are only of six months duration but then capable of either further six/12 months extensions or periodic on a month to month basis.

That charge would be horrendous and both France and the UK have more generous regimes.

Thanks Fred for your continued input and help it is appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Fred should put my glasses on you say tax on 40% of the net rental income. So tax on £8K a totally differing matter. Then the tax would depend upon the overall income level? If the houses are jointly owned would that make a difference please for the two parties have very differing income levels.

Once more my sincere apologies.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Simon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud of

Sorry, but what is this "60%" reduction, this doesn't seem to be mentioned before or since?

Simon
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:21 pm

If you are tax resident and let your property on a long term rental you only pay tax on 40% of the net rental.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If you are tax resident and let your property on a long term rental you only pay tax on 40% of the net rental.
... meaning, you will pay tax on 50% of the net rental from next year (just in case it was still not clear)
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

pnwheels is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there no personal allowance here where you only pay tax on any income above this?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:31 pm

Yes, there is.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Simon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud of

Thanks Fred, this is really helpful.

So you pay IRPF on 40% (OK, 50% as of next year), at rates subject you your income in the normal way?

While I'm about it, date I mention income from QROPS? How are these treated, especially as the origin of the QROPS was a government based pension fund, say the NHS.

I didn't see any mention of Death Duties on UK assets either - are these 'out' of the agreement? And in which case who takes the duties, HMC&R or the Agencia Tributaria?

Thanks once again

Simon

Last edited by Simon_100; Sep 19th 2014 at 10:04 am.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Also I guess if the OP's sister has already paid income tax on the rental income in the UK, the tax payable in Spain can be reduced by this amount according to the dual taxation agreement?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Simon_100
So you pay IRPF on 40% (OK, 50% as of next year), at rates subject you your income in the normal way?

While I'm about it, date I mention income from QROPS? How are these treated, especially as the origin of the QROPS was a government based pension fund, say the NHS.

I didn't see any mention of Death Duties on UK assets either - are these 'out' of the agreement? And in which case who takes the duties, HMC&R or the Agencia Tributaria?
Yes, the net rental income after the deduction is taxed as earned income at the appropriate rates.

Income from a QROPS pension is treated as investment income, but only a smaller percentage is taxed like any other annuity. The reduction depends on your age when you take the benefits. For example, if the annuity is first taken when you are aged between 60 and 65, only 24% is taxed. I don't know whether a QROPS derived from a UK government pension would be treated differently. You could argue that once the funds were transferred in a QROPS scheme, it ceased to be a government pension.

"Death Duties" ie IHT are taxed very differently from the UK. The key difference is that the beneficiary pays the tax rather than the tax being paid out of the total estate and then divided between the beneficiaries.

Assets situated in Spian are always taxed in Spain, irrespective of the tax residency of the recipient.

Assets situated outside Spain are only taxed in Spain if the recipient is tax resident in Spain.

Edit. From April next year you will not be able to transfer unfunded UK Government defined benefit pensions into a QROPS scheme.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 19th 2014 at 4:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.