Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish State Pension…

Spanish State Pension…

Old Mar 20th 2021, 5:19 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Question Spanish State Pension…

Anyone got a clue about how this works…

My vague understanding is that they pay 80% of the average of your salary for the last 15 years, before you retire. I have 20 years + also in the UK.

However, if you leave Spain during you last 15 years, for a period of time, how does that impact on your Spanish pension….

Any clarity anyone can shed on the above much appreciated….
Old Mar 20th 2021, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish State Pension…

You apply in the last EU country you worked, giving as much info as you can ( preferably before you reach retirement age) . They manage the process for you and contact the depts in the other countries. For example you may not have worked in one of the countries enough years to qualify for a pension. However your total years are taken into account.

Can be quite complicated. E.g. retirement age here might be 65 and 66 in UK. You might be able to make up some missing years in UK. Well worth doing unless you dont think you will live very long. Plenty of help on uk gov website and helplines. Plus the subject crops up from time to time on expat forums so worth a search.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree

My vague understanding is that they pay 80% of the average of your salary for the last 15 years, before you retire. I have 20 years + also in the UK.

However, if you leave Spain during you last 15 years, for a period of time, how does that impact on your Spanish pension….

Not entirely sure but I know you definitely need to have worked the 2 last years before retiring to qualify for your full amount. Therefore if you leave and claim after more than 2 years you are penalised. It's very different from UK one
Old Mar 21st 2021, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a query about a family member, not a member of BE.
Brief history, resident in the spain from early 90s.
started a SL with a friend, she became a non resident about 6 years ago, but is still paying Soc security in Spain. She was advised to do this by her accountant despite not collecting a wage from the company.
The question of the pension is an unknown quantity, as to if she qualifies for one or not, if so good and if not she was told that her quotas should be returned to her as the should not have been paid in the first place.
SHe did intend to return to Spain and work in the company for a year or 2 before retirement, but has been affected by the virus.
She has worked in Spain with a wage for over 15 years, and been paying SS for a further 7 years, but with no wage as she is a non resident.
Query is about the pension calculation, just curious about how that would work.

Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughandi
I have a query about a family member, not a member of BE.
Brief history, resident in the spain from early 90s.
started a SL with a friend, she became a non resident about 6 years ago, but is still paying Soc security in Spain. She was advised to do this by her accountant despite not collecting a wage from the company.
The question of the pension is an unknown quantity, as to if she qualifies for one or not, if so good and if not she was told that her quotas should be returned to her as the should not have been paid in the first place.
SHe did intend to return to Spain and work in the company for a year or 2 before retirement, but has been affected by the virus.
She has worked in Spain with a wage for over 15 years, and been paying SS for a further 7 years, but with no wage as she is a non resident.
Query is about the pension calculation, just curious about how that would work.

I would have thought a non resident couldn't contribute to Spanish SS. If you could simply make voluntary contributions based on living in Spain then every expat would do that so as to get free healthcare.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:42 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
You apply in the last EU country you worked, giving as much info as you can ( preferably before you reach retirement age) . They manage the process for you and contact the depts in the other countries. For example you may not have worked in one of the countries enough years to qualify for a pension. However your total years are taken into account.

Can be quite complicated. E.g. retirement age here might be 65 and 66 in UK. You might be able to make up some missing years in UK. Well worth doing unless you dont think you will live very long. Plenty of help on uk gov website and helplines. Plus the subject crops up from time to time on expat forums so worth a search.
Last year I caught up with my missed years and made voluntary contributions, which was backdated to the date I left the UK. Going forward, now making yearly voluntary contributions, to the UK. Actually, it does not cost a lot to do this but is well worthwhile.

I am a resident here and have also been making contributions thru my salary here to the Spanish system.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree

SS contributions calculated by salary bands and split between employer and employee, same as UK: Time outside Spain does not mean you lose the years contributions before you leave , ( I had a ten year gap in my contributions ) you can check your contribution history on the SS website and download the details as a pdf.
https://sede.seg-social.gob.es/wps/p...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Old Mar 21st 2021, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I would have thought a non resident couldn't contribute to Spanish SS. If you could simply make voluntary contributions based on living in Spain then every expat would do that so as to get free healthcare.
It is not a voluntary contribution, apparently she was told that she had to keep up the social security payment, to still be an 'administrator' of the company, and as the major share holder that was important to her.
she gave up a wage and a job, but still wanted control.

Last edited by hughandi; Mar 21st 2021 at 1:17 pm.