Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SPANISH STATE BENEFITS

SPANISH STATE BENEFITS

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPANISH STATE BENEFITS

Originally Posted by Veleta
To be honest, if they had done their homework properly they should be aware of this already!!! It's not new news.
Well I'm sure they thought they had.
Seems grossly unfair to me, especially given how many people are self employed.
Where I am there is no industry or employers so there is little choice other than to be SE.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Well I'm sure they thought they had.
Seems grossly unfair to me, especially given how many people are self employed.
Where I am there is no industry or employers so there is little choice other than to be SE.
Can self-employed people in the UK claim unemployment benefit?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No, I think you can claim for dependants but it is so complecated no one bothers.
The only way is to close your business and sign on for employment.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

As far as I can tell from another site they get income support for themselves and their family plus total exemption from council tax and all their rent paid or mortgage interest paid after X weeks. Not sure if now is 13 weeks.

Minimum self employed contribution is equal to about 15 euros a month.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Good question, I thought they could, if not they may be able to claim Income support.
Funnily enough I just noticed a reply on another thread from the DWPinspain, which says that SE are entitled to healthcare,pensions and benefits (but not unemployment benefit).
I seem to remember that there is a form of Income support here as well for those who have not paid enough contributions. As an example, it was for the wives of campo workers as it was only their husbands who had made contributions.
Where the DWPinspain said "benefits" they did not say what these where.
Interesting but as usual muy complicado.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Good question, I thought they could, if not they may be able to claim Income support.
Funnily enough I just noticed a reply on another thread from the DWPinspain, which says that SE are entitled to healthcare,pensions and benefits (but not unemployment benefit).
I seem to remember that there is a form of Income support here as well for those who have not paid enough contributions. As an example, it was for the wives of campo workers as it was only their husbands who had made contributions.
Where the DWPinspain said "benefits" they did not say what these where.
Interesting but as usual muy complicado.
Well hopefully DWP might read this and let us know.

As far as I know paying Autonomos entitles the self employed to healthcare,
a retirement pension (pro rata to sums paid of course) and nothing else.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

we were self employed for 2 years, paying around 280/320 a month, when we finished we were told we were entitled to nothing. A few months out of work was a very scary thing, got to the point i was really panicking about how we were gonna keep a roof over our heads. Luckily he got a job after a few months but i seriously dont know what we would have done if it had lasted another month without any money coming in.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

And i have a friend who lives in the canary islands, her partner was working, he left her and the baby, she went to see if she could claim anything while she got back on her feet and was told she was entitled to nothing, she had to have been on at least a 3 month contract to get anything, but she had never worked as she had been a housewife (although they were not married) so basically her and the baby have nothing coming in and the ex gives her nothing either. SHe also tried to get help with her rent and was turned down.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:08 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The self employed payments in Spain entitle you to a pension after 15 years, and that pension is much higher than an equivalent one in England. Unfortunately, apart from free healthcare whilst you are paying, it’s not good for much else.

I don’t understand that grey area, when you also qualify for a normal English pension. perhaps because of a spouse’s payments back home. The ‘silence is golden’ scenario comes to mind. Especially if one spouse dies and you haven’t thought through the inheritance tax situation.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Well hopefully DWP might read this and let us know.

As far as I know paying Autonomos entitles the self employed to healthcare,
a retirement pension (pro rata to sums paid of course) and nothing else.
I hope they do too.
To be honest IMO it's a bit of a disgrace. Especially as nearly everyone where I am is SE.
How come there is such a difference? If you pay into the system like employed people.

Last edited by twistedmelon; Sep 3rd 2009 at 12:17 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HBG
The self employed payments in Spain entitle you to a pension after 15 years, and that pension is much higher than an equivalent one in England. Unfortunately, apart from free healthcare whilst you are paying, it’s not good for much else.

I don’t understand that grey area, when you also qualify for a normal English pension. perhaps because of a spouse’s payments back home. The ‘silence is golden’ scenario comes to mind. Especially if one spouse dies and you haven’t thought through the inheritance tax situation.
I dont think it entitles a self employed person to a full pension after 15 years of contributions as seg soc web site says have to pay in for 35 years in order to get basic state pension which is around 400 a month.

Self employed have to pay in far more than the minimum of 254 a month to get anywhere near a half decent pension. Dont know many who could live on 400 a month.

One good thing is that inheritance tax allowances between spouses has improved significantly recently.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I dont think it entitles a self employed person to a full pension after 15 years of contributions as seg soc web site says have to pay in for 35 years in order to get basic state pension which is around 400 a month.
Self employed have to pay in far more than the minimum of 254 a month to get anywhere near a half decent pension. Dont know many who could live on 400 a month.

One good thing is that inheritance tax allowances between spouses has improved significantly recently.
Correct, you have to pay in for a minimum of 15 years before you can get anything and even then you only get a pro rata amount, so the main benefit for me at the moment is myself and my dependants are entitled to healthcare.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:04 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll
Correct, you have to pay in for a minimum of 15 years before you can get anything
If you have made contributions in another EU country then the contributions are added together in terms of qualifying years. So if you have 15 years in total between Spain and the UK you will get a (small) pension from both countries.

A lot of people now working is Spain have made quite a few contributions in the UK but are quite wrongly under the impression that they have to work for 15 years in Spain to get any pension from Spain.