Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish roof tiles

Spanish roof tiles

Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish roof tiles

Hi
Can any of you esteemed people give me a few pointers.

I have a few low roofing sections on my villa, where the tiles have come loose. I am a keen DIYer and I can generally tackle all jobs in the house.

The upper tiles have all come loose, the lower ones are fine, so I have removed them, chipped away existing mortar and re stuck them using new mortar, but they are still coming loose after renewing the cement am I missing something?

Do you use cement cola? yellow sand, white sand? normal cement? is there a tip you can give me to make replacement easy?

best regards
Al
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:27 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish roof tiles

I've often seen roofs with many tiles loose - it seems to be the norm and not much to worry about. If you have something firm to stick them to (the tile below?) you can use a blob of Masilla Pegameto which comes in a tube about 7 Euros from Leroy Merlin.

Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

When you bedded the tiles on the new mortar, were the tiles dry? If so, then there's your problem I suspect.

If you wet the tiles first, then the mortar will not dry so fast and you will get better adhesion.

Yes, you can use cola or all sorts of 'fixing stuff' but the best way is with mortar.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Had the same problem with the top tiles coming loose whilst the bottom ones were fine. I took all the top tiles off, cleaned them underneath. I removed wasp nests, plants, crumbling mortar underneath the tiles. I didn't clean the top of the tiles as I wanted to retain the years of dirt, algae etc that add character to an old roof.

I then restuck them all with cola, the strong variety and finally pointed all the tiles with cement. Took a long time, especially the pointing but the roof looks great now, no wasp nests this year and I can walk all over it without breaking tiles as I tread...

I started a couple of years ago and those initial tiles are still stuck fast.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Location: Castillo de Locubín in the Sierra Sur de Jaén, Andalucía, Spain
baldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of light

We had the same problem and often the snow would blow up under them, then melt. Wind would sometimes even lift them clean off the roof becoming hazardous flying objects.

We have now had our roofs retiled. The foundation was sound as were the rafters and in the interests of economy we have had a waterproof/insulating membrane laid on at and new, modern, interlocking tiles laid as have a number of other houses in the village. Total cost about €4,500.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Our house has loose tiles over much of the roof, I had assumed this was how they should be, seamed odd to me but have had it 5 years and never lost a tile so must be lucky as we have had a few big storms over the years
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baldilocks

We have now had our roofs retiled. The foundation was sound as were the rafters and in the interests of economy we have had a waterproof/insulating membrane laid on at and new, modern, interlocking tiles laid as have a number of other houses in the village. Total cost about €4,500.
To my eye new fangled tiles on an old cortijo just plain looks wrong.... Personally I couldn't live with it...
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks guys for all your input, all my top tiles were loose, the under tiles were fine. I think as pointed out I did not wet the tiles before fixing. I have chipped off the old mortar, soaked the tiles in water (a bucket), re mortared it with a strong mix (2 to 1).

I have now redone the roof and it seems fine, I have even cleaned them with a de algae liquid. My roof looks good and a simple thing like no wetting the tiles led to me doing it twice.

I also put a blob of masilla on the end of each tile for added adhesion.

thanks guys, another job off the list, but as mentioned by other posters even though they were loose they had not moved and were water tight, I did the job as I wanted it right.

regards
Al
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Location: Castillo de Locubín in the Sierra Sur de Jaén, Andalucía, Spain
baldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of lightbaldilocks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bob_day
To my eye new fangled tiles on an old cortijo just plain looks wrong.... Personally I couldn't live with it...
but we don't have an old cortijo, we live in a village and a number of houses have been re-roofed with new tiles so ours doesn't look out of place.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:19 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi
Thanks guys for all your input, all my top tiles were loose, the under tiles were fine. I think as pointed out I did not wet the tiles before fixing. I have chipped off the old mortar, soaked the tiles in water (a bucket), re mortared it with a strong mix (2 to 1).

I have now redone the roof and it seems fine, I have even cleaned them with a de algae liquid. My roof looks good and a simple thing like no wetting the tiles led to me doing it twice.

I also put a blob of masilla on the end of each tile for added adhesion.

thanks guys, another job off the list, but as mentioned by other posters even though they were loose they had not moved and were water tight, I did the job as I wanted it right.

regards
Al
Much to strong a mixture IMO, you are much safer using 5+1.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by baldilocks
but we don't have an old cortijo,
no need to shout.............................

Personal choice anyway.