Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm not sure that I understand your point.

You will have to do a medical the same as any Spanish national. You need to have one every 10 years to the age of 70! When I exchanged my licence, I had to have a medical (such as it was). They sort of do have a medical in UK but it's part of the test - read a number plate, check reaction times etc.
How did you "know" you had to have a medical - who told you, made you?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
By exchanging my UK licence for a Spanish one, I neatly (if unintentionally) sidestepped the need to do the medical.
To exchange a UK licence for a Spanish one you have to have a medical.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
How did you "know" you had to have a medical - who told you, made you?
When I changed mine I didn't think I would have to have a medical because I'm under 45.
However, because my UK photo had expired by one day I was told by the official at Traffico that I would have to provide a medical certificate along with my application.
This was in Granada.
Just outside the Traffico office is a strip of run-down shops and cafe/bars. Among them is a poky little office that provides medical certificates for Traffico. Traffico didn't actually recommend this place, they just pointed out that it was there.
I assume they must be a private organisation judging by the state of the decor. It looked very seedy but was surprisingly popular. The service was excellent and efficient. No appointment necessary, just join the queue.
The medical consisted of questions, eye test and blood pressure test. They charged about €40 and provided a medical certificate which I took back over the street to Traffico, who accepted it without question.
A very simple process actually.

Last edited by billgates; Jan 24th 2013 at 7:20 am. Reason: whe
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel
You do not.

Here is the official statement of the requirements for exchanging your licence.

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...8_12__2012.pdf

Nowhere does it say you need a medical certificate.

I and my wife certainly did not have one.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:33 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You do not.

I agree with you Fred that a certificate is not required but some offices insist on this being done, yet another instance of "depends on where you are and who is dealing with you". Graham and I had to have very basic medicals to change ours but we know others who have not had to. These types of experiences constantly cause the differences of opinion on the site.

Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

You do not.

But:

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think that you will find that it depends upon your age.
  • Every 10 years if you are aged between 18-45
  • Every 5 years if you are aged between 45-70
  • Every 2 years if you are aged over 70

However, it may have changed recently.
And

It changed more than 2 years ago.

It is now 10 years up to 70 and 5 years thereafter.
So surely if you are changing your licence then you have to prove that you have had a medical? When I changed mine I had to have a medical test and supply the proof I had passed it......
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The renewal periods you have quoted from Snikpoh are not correct as I pointed out.

As has also been pointed out, when you exchange your current UK licence the assumption is that to have been issued with that licence you must have passed any medical test that was required in the country that issued it. As we all know, the UK does not require a medical.

When it comes to renewal then you must have a medical as an integral part of the renewal process.

There are many examples of people saying that they had to have a medical when they exchanged. In most cases it is because they did it through a gestor, and the gestor assumed that a medical was required. When the application gets to Traffico they would just bin the medical certificate.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

matthewsantapola is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone here know what happens to the points on your licence when you exchange it for a spanish licence? I am curious because I have more than one offence on the licence with points. Will they disappear? And will they re-appear if I move back to the UK again?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:22 pm

The UK points are not noted on your Spanish licence but if you go back to the UK and exchange back to a UK licence they will reappear.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel
Not true - as quirky as it may seem (unless its an incentive to exchange) it is not on the list of required documents currently on the DGT site for an exchange.

I did not produce one when I exchanged (albeit a few years ago) but I have needed one for a recent renewal.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Just to clarify, for a normal car upto 3,500 kg i.e class B, the DGT website says that the validity is 10 years upto 65, and then 5 years thereafter.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I agree with you Fred that a certificate is not required but some offices insist on this being done, yet another instance of "depends on where you are and who is dealing with you". Graham and I had to have very basic medicals to change ours but we know others who have not had to. These types of experiences constantly cause the differences of opinion on the site.

Rosemary
Yes we both had to have the medical when we changed ours, though what it consists of in my view could not in all honesty be called a medical, a one legged blind man could have passed it.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
in my view could not in all honesty be called a medical, a one legged blind man could have passed it.
Ah thank God for that, I have a chance then!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not sure about that.

Rosemary
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Some testing centres don't bother to do the driving simulation at all.

Even then, I know one guy who shakes so much he cannot hold a drink in one hand who got through the test.

About the only thing that they test that might present a problem is your eyesight. If you only have vision in one eye you will pass but they impose restrictions such as limiting your speed to 100kph and also require a more frequent medical as the licence will not get issued for the normal period.

Also, if you need specs to get through the test then that will be noted on your licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.