Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

Originally Posted by Fred James
It changed more than 2 years ago.

It is now 10 years up to 70 and 5 years thereafter.
Wow, I missed that change. Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

Surely the simplest and obvious thing to do if you are resident is to change your UK licence to a Spanish one & drive a legal car that is properly insured. That way we won't have pages of posts about the same subject with umpteen conflicting stories of "I heard...", "my friend said", "this bloke in the pub said..................."

Changing your licence is a very simple thing to do. I really don't understand what the fuss is about.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree.

Changed mine years ago for stress free driving.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel
Surely the simplest and obvious thing to do if you are resident is to change your UK licence to a Spanish one & drive a legal car that is properly insured. That way we won't have pages of posts about the same subject with umpteen conflicting stories of "I heard...", "my friend said", "this bloke in the pub said..................."

Changing your licence is a very simple thing to do. I really don't understand what the fuss is about.
If thats what you want to do, fine .... but within the rules its a question of choice isn't it. I still have a UK licence and it doesn't cause me any stress. In any case this is an old thread, and the current discussion was asking about the periods of medicals to go with a Spanish licence
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

SuJo has a brilliant futureSuJo has a brilliant futureSuJo has a brilliant futureSuJo has a brilliant futureSuJo has a brilliant futureSuJo has a brilliant future

I think everyone on this thread should read the following:-
http://costaconsultingbureau.com/spa...rules-in-spain

the new rules just came in this last weekend, on the 19th - EU Directive 2012/126/EU refers.

Cheers all..
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:22 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuJo

the new rules just came in this last weekend, on the 19th - EU Directive 2012/126/EU refers.

Cheers all..

I'm not sure that its new that you have to have the "medical" test, afaik it has always been the case that a UK photo licence has to satisfy Spanish law, i.e. medical checks
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuJo

Cheers all..
This is not new news. The EU Driving licence directive was issued about 6 years ago and all EU countries had until 19th of January 2013 to implement the new rules.

Spain introduced the new rules at least 3 years ago and it has been mandatory since then for residents who still wish to use their non Spanish licenses to have a medical in line with the rules that apply to all Spanish licence holders.

The English newspapers all seem to be saying that this is something new - it's not.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

What a load of rubbish. I despair sometimes, at the level of misinformation that circulates. This thread, and others covers all you need to know. Do the people who write this stuff actually read the directives they refer you to.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have to give these opportunist websites fishing for clients a bit of slack
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:50 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well you have to give these opportunist websites fishing for clients a bit of slack
Yep, nail on head
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so the same question again. I am asking about the medical not the licence.

In Spain there is the "medical" test whilst, in the UK there is not. By exchanging my UK licence for a Spanish one, I neatly (if unintentionally) sidestepped the need to do the medical.

Is there anything in the Spanish system that recognises the "loophole" and demands that having exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one I must now do the medical?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris

In Spain there is the "medical" test whilst, in the UK there is not. By exchanging my UK licence for a Spanish one, I neatly (if unintentionally) sidestepped the need to do the medical.

Is there anything in the Spanish system that recognises the "loophole" and demands that having exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one I must now do the medical?
I'm not sure that I understand your point.

You will have to do a medical the same as any Spanish national. You need to have one every 10 years to the age of 70! When I exchanged my licence, I had to have a medical (such as it was). They sort of do have a medical in UK but it's part of the test - read a number plate, check reaction times etc.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:26 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Because some people do not want to change their UK licence and there is no legal compulsion to do so, in spite of what various rumours may abound.

I am back in the UK now, but never wanted a Spanish licence, the same as I never wanted a Spanish passport. Our car was legal though.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:34 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris

Hi

Put quite simply, Spain accepts you were medically fit to drive until the end of your UK licence (maximum of ten years if under 70, four years if 70 or over) irrespective of whether you have actually undergone a medical or not.

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.