Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Residency for UK nationals after 31st December 2020

Spanish Residency for UK nationals after 31st December 2020

Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

ValTay0607 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Spanish Residency for UK nationals after 31st December 2020

Where can I get information and advice on applying for Spanish Residency after 31 Dec 2020. Presumably one would HAVE TO apply before the end of this year. My wife and I have owned a property jointly in the Alicante province since 2004 and have visited every year. We are now thinking of living in Spain. We are in our 70s and would like to spend the rest of our lives in the sun. Any advice or can someone with knowledge of the protocols, with the short time in mind, please put us in the right direction. We are in the UK and are looking to go to Spain in July to kick off matters if we can.TIA.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Residency for UK nationals after 31st December 2020

I would certainly do it before 31 December as after that it will be more difficult that's for sure. I would contact a gestor when you are over and set the ball rolling
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks bobd22. I will start looking for one. I believe Residents can avail State medical facilities. What would we as Pensioners be entitiled to? TIA
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValTay0607
Thanks bobd22. I will start looking for one. I believe Residents can avail State medical facilities. What would we as Pensioners be entitiled to? TIA
Hi have a read through this the information you want is in relation to the S1 Form. Contact the overseas Health Department and get an S1 for you and your wife. You need to have that when you apply for residency. It gives you full healthcare same as provided for Spanish resident free apart from a very small contribution to prescriptions. Here's a link
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...ary-islands#s1

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 18th 2020 at 2:55 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:55 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

It will be the same as any non-EU immigrant.

You'll need to meet a number of requirements. First, you'll need a good reason for it. Are you going for work? Your employer will need to sponsor you and provide compelling reason why the job you are performing cannot be performed by a local or EU citizen. If a pensioner, you'll need to provide proof of minimum income of 1200€(?) per month, and pay taxes on it. I believe you also need a local bank statement showing a minimum liquidity balance of (several thousand?) You cannot declare self employment to meet this requirement.

You will need to declare all of your assets and income worldwide and possibly pay tax on all of it, including any investment funds, bank balances, or properties you own anywhere in the world. You must have (pay for) health insurance (EHIC may well no longer exist for British nationals). Proof of no criminal record written by police where you currently live. You will not be able to access public social services such as welfare benefits for (5?) Years. You will need to obtain a Spanish driving licence, if you plan to drive.

You can also invest a minimum of €500k in a local business or property and possibly qualify for a "golden visa" which provides for residency as long as you continue to hold ownership of those investments.
​​​​
Old Jun 18th 2020, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
It will be the same as any non-EU immigrant.

You'll need to meet a number of requirements. First, you'll need a good reason for it. Are you going for work? Your employer will need to sponsor you and provide compelling reason why the job you are performing cannot be performed by a local or EU citizen. If a pensioner, you'll need to provide proof of minimum income of 1200€(?) per month, and pay taxes on it. I believe you also need a local bank statement showing a minimum liquidity balance of (several thousand?) You cannot declare self employment to meet this requirement.

You will need to declare all of your assets and income worldwide and possibly pay tax on all of it, including any investment funds, bank balances, or properties you own anywhere in the world. You must have (pay for) health insurance (EHIC may well no longer exist for British nationals). Proof of no criminal record written by police where you currently live. You will not be able to access public social services such as welfare benefits for (5?) Years. You will need to obtain a Spanish driving licence, if you plan to drive.

You can also invest a minimum of €500k in a local business or property and possibly qualify for a "golden visa" which provides for residency as long as you continue to hold ownership of those investments.
​​​​
Hi OP States both retired in their 70s hence I say if possible sort it out before 31 Dec as entitled to S1 etc and simpler for them
Old Jun 18th 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Where can I get information and advice on applying for Spanish Residency after 31 Dec 2020. Presumably one would HAVE TO apply before the end of this year. My wife and I have owned a property jointly in the Alicante province since 2004 and have visited every year. We are now thinking of living in Spain. We are in our 70s and would like to spend the rest of our lives in the sun. Any advice or can someone with knowledge of the protocols, with the short time in mind, please put us in the right direction. We are in the UK and are looking to go to Spain in July to kick off matters if we can.TIA.
Residency documentation is handled by a specific department of the police "Extranjeros" and there is bound to be a designated station in the area you are talking of which does deal with the process. As has been previously mentioned if you struggle with language find a "Gestor" in your local town who can talk you through the process and help you with the paperwork.
The best option is to do it this year and get the "ball rolling" as quickly as possible. Find your gestor in July , maybe asking on this forum, someone from Alicante province can recommend one and get started particularly as August is a holiday month and virtually nothing will be done.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, while you need to be living in Spain by 31st December 2010, the withdrawal agreement states you can register as resident until 30th June 2021. There is nothing concrete from the Spanish government about it, and until that is forthcoming, I would advise you to register by 31st December. Consult a local gestor about the exact documentary requirement for the foreigners' department in Calle Ebanisteria 4 at Alicante (all UK applicants have to use that office if living in the province).
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Well, while you need to be living in Spain by 31st December 2010, the withdrawal agreement states you can register as resident until 30th June 2021. .
What the WA is saying that you have to be resident before the end of transition ie 31 Dec, but you have until the end of June to start the residency application process.
Reason being, I guess, that for people who only arrived in December, it will take a few months to accumulate a papertrail of utilities bills, bank statements etc that show that they actually have started living in Spain. But when you do go along to apply for residency, your papertrail will need to go back to 2020.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

We will not be able to go to Spain until July so if one has to apply for residency by the end of June, then we are not going to be eligible to be able to apply unless Spain takes into account the Lockdown which has prevented people like us to be able to be in Spain to apply and, pragmatically, extends the application period or makes some sort of concession. We can only hope and pray.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Just spoken to a gestor in Nerja, and the local national police station isn't yet taking any appointment for residency. If they do, presumably from July, you just have to book one for the time you will be in Spain. I don't know what the situation is like in Alicante. We also need a clarification from Spanish government about 6-month extension for getting residence certificate after 31st December for those who are living by the cut-off date.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

The Alicante office is open but the appointments are being snapped up very quickly.

To the OP where in Alicante are you?
As I can recommend our solicitor who is in Albir.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joppa
Just spoken to a gestor in Nerja, and the local national police station isn't yet taking any appointment for residency. If they do, presumably from July, you just have to book one for the time you will be in Spain. I don't know what the situation is like in Alicante. We also need a clarification from Spanish government about 6-month extension for getting residence certificate after 31st December for those who are living by the cut-off date.
Originally Posted by Barriej
The Alicante office is open but the appointments are being snapped up very quickly.

To the OP where in Alicante are you?
As I can recommend our solicitor who is in Albir.
Joppa/Barriej Thank you so much for your helpful replies. This has become a priority for us and I am setting the ball rolling. We are in Orihuela Costa, just near to Torrevieja (Alicante province). Take care.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

We will not be able to go to Spain until July so if one has to apply for residency by the end of June, then we are not going to be eligible to be able to apply unless Spain takes into account the Lockdown which has prevented people like us to be able to be in Spain to apply and, pragmatically, extends the application period or makes some sort of concession. We can only hope and pray.
You misunderstand.

If you are genuinely and demonstrably living here by Dec 31st. then you will have 6 months until the end of June 2021 to actually process and obtain your residencia.

If you want to avoid having to take a Spanish driving test then you will have to get your application for an exchange into the system before Dec 31., don't plan on driving anywhere outside of Spain for a minimum of 3 months though as that's how long exchanges typically take.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
You misunderstand.

If you are genuinely and demonstrably living here by Dec 31st. then you will have 6 months until the end of June 2021 to actually process and obtain your residencia.

If you want to avoid having to take a Spanish driving test then you will have to get your application for an exchange into the system before Dec 31., don't plan on driving anywhere outside of Spain for a minimum of 3 months though as that's how long exchanges typically take.
Also you have to have been through the residency process before you can apply to exchange the licence.

Thats the bit thats bothering me. With all the delays I might not get my appointment before 31st Dec (we will be in Spain from 20th Aug)
But it has been stated that there will be an extra 6 months to apply for residency as long as you were living in Spain before end dec.
But there has been no extension on the driving licence exchange so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.