Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Residencia - please help

Spanish Residencia - please help

Old Aug 21st 2004, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

C-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Spanish Residencia - please help

SORRY IF THIS APPEARS TWICE - WASN'T SURE IF IT WENT THROUGH THE FIRST TIME!
Hi,
Please can anyone tell me for certain whether it is required to provide a certificate of criminal record as part of a Spanish Residencia application?

There seem to be conflicting opinions on this - some websites and books say it is, yet others who have gone through the application procedure say they had never heard of such a requirement and did not have to provide such info.
The UK consulate website makes no mention of it - does the requirement vary according to the region of Spain?
And if it is the case, how vigorously is it enforced?

We plan to move over to Spain next year from the U.K. (or at least we were planning to.........)
My husband committed two offences back in the 1970's when he was a young lad. These still appeared on a police certificate he needed for a recent job application - he was still offered the job however and it's a responsible one, working alongside the police!
He has been an exceptionally good boy and has led a blameless life ever since those reckless days of youth, and this is the only cloud on our horizon and keeping me awake at night - I'm so worried about it - there is no point in selling up and going over, only to find that he won't be allowed to stay because of a bit of paper that has been irrelevant for over 30 years.

Might it help to employ a Gestor? We only have very basic Spanish.

Are there any expats who were in a similar position? I wonder how they got round it, if indeed it is the case.
Would anyone kind and brave be prepared to tell me either here or via an email? Any other help/advice would be so gratefully accepted, as this is not exactly the kind of question you can ask officials.
Thank you
C-Cat
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Residencia - please help

This should help...

http://www.spain-info.com/Living_in_...e%20Permit.htm

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

sorry jdr - but that is just sooooooooooo out of date

this is taken from the consulate website - so you'd think up to date

''ENTRY AND RESIDENCE REQUIREMENTS

TAKING UP RESIDENCE IN SPAIN

We advise that all residents obtain a residence card even if it is not obligatory for them, as it is easier to carry than a passport, and simplifies many of the other administration procedures for new residents. However, the information below shows who is legally required to hold a residence card.

WHO DOESN'T NEED TO OBTAIN A RESIDENCE CARD?
UK nationals who are Employees, Self-employed, Students. EU national dependants of an EU or Spanish national or pensioners who have worked in Spain and receive their pension from the Spanish Social Security system no longer need to hold a residence card, and can live in Spain with a valid passport. (Dependants who are non-EU nationals still require a residence card.)

WHO MUST OBTAIN A RESIDENCE CARD?
Pensioners who have retired to Spain, people of independent means and non-EU national dependants of an EU or Spanish national, are still required to apply for a residence card.

They must apply for one of the following two types of card:

Temporary residence card: intended stay of more than three months but less than one year.

Ordinary residence card: intended stay of more than one year with a maximum validity of five years and renewable.''

so most people probably don't need residencia

sorry I can't help with the criminal convictions question though - try contacting the consulate directly

the website is here: http://www.ukinspain.com/english/
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Spanish Residencia - please help

Thanks very much to both of you for the info - I will contact the UK consulate as you suggest, Xabiachica, but I would be really interested to know if anyone who has Residencia was asked to submit a UK police check form with their application (if they can remember?)
By the way, we WOULD unfortunately need to apply for Residencia, as we don't fall into any of the exempt categories

C-Cat
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 3:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xabiachica
sorry jdr - but that is just sooooooooooo out of date

this is taken from the consulate website - so you'd think up to date

''ENTRY AND RESIDENCE REQUIREMENTS

TAKING UP RESIDENCE IN SPAIN

We advise that all residents obtain a residence card even if it is not obligatory for them, as it is easier to carry than a passport, and simplifies many of the other administration procedures for new residents. However, the information below shows who is legally required to hold a residence card.

WHO DOESN'T NEED TO OBTAIN A RESIDENCE CARD?
UK nationals who are Employees, Self-employed, Students. EU national dependants of an EU or Spanish national or pensioners who have worked in Spain and receive their pension from the Spanish Social Security system no longer need to hold a residence card, and can live in Spain with a valid passport. (Dependants who are non-EU nationals still require a residence card.)

WHO MUST OBTAIN A RESIDENCE CARD?
Pensioners who have retired to Spain, people of independent means and non-EU national dependants of an EU or Spanish national, are still required to apply for a residence card.

They must apply for one of the following two types of card:

Temporary residence card: intended stay of more than three months but less than one year.

Ordinary residence card: intended stay of more than one year with a maximum validity of five years and renewable.''

so most people probably don't need residencia

sorry I can't help with the criminal convictions question though - try contacting the consulate directly

the website is here: http://www.ukinspain.com/english/
I know some of it is out of date, as the rules change like the bar owners in Spain, and they dont need residencia, but it does give the right info about getting the criminal bumff from the police in England before they leave, in case they want residencia....
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
I know some of it is out of date, as the rules change like the bar owners in Spain, and they dont need residencia, but it does give the right info about getting the criminal bumff from the police in England before they leave, in case they want residencia....
Hi JDR

I noticed that the website in your link is US-based (Chicago,) so perhaps the required documentation for Residencia may be different from that for EU nationals?
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

When I first obtained a residence permit nearly twenty years ago I had to have a medical check-up, provide proof of no criminal convictions in the UK and many other things.

This has all changed in recent years and although the requirements seem to vary from place to place proof of lack of criminal convictions is no longer necessary for EU residents although it could well be for non EU citizens.

This isn't to say that the Spanish authorities won't check with the UK police for themselves once they have your details, ie. full name, date and place of birth which is all they need for a CRO check.

Co-operation between Spain and the UK in this respect has increased drastically since the T*ny K*ng fiasco.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 5:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I just asked someone who has recently got residencia - and he wasn't asked about criminal records - which doesn't mean, of course, that Beachcomber is wrong about them making their own checks
Old Aug 25th 2004, 9:54 am
Just Joined

L D 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly have already sent this, the rules are much simpler to follow now: you need a current up to date British Passport ,four photos, a form with an address in Spain.The form asks for your parents first names ! No question of criminal records, that is why there was such outrage over Mr.K being allowed to enter Spain & live for over a year. It is possible that as the application is sent to Madrid, there may be a check, but I have never heard on an application being refused. By the way I work for a firm of Spanish solicitors.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Spanish Residencia - please help

Thank you all very much - you've made me feel much more confident now.
Really appreciated.
Cheers
C-Cat
Old Aug 27th 2004, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Residencia - please help

All we needed to show for residencia was Passport and supply three photos, we then had to go back and collect and be fingerprinted three weeks later, no other forms to fill in or show, very straightforward. This week we took the cards to local security office and got our SS cards we can now register with a doctor, in and out of SS office within 5 minutes and that was two of us.
Welcome to Spain and hope you will be happy here.
Pat
Old Aug 28th 2004, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
All we needed to show for residencia was Passport and supply three photos, we then had to go back and collect and be fingerprinted three weeks later, no other forms to fill in or show, very straightforward. This week we took the cards to local security office and got our SS cards we can now register with a doctor, in and out of SS office within 5 minutes and that was two of us.
Welcome to Spain and hope you will be happy here.
Pat

Thanks Pat, we can't WAIT to get out there next year - sick of the rain and even more sick of the daily grind in London!
C-Cat
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Residencia - please help

Hi C-Cat
If you ever happen around our way give us a call
Regards Pat
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi C-Cat
If you ever happen around our way give us a call
Regards Pat
Hi Pat,
Are you in Almeria? We're heading for the Valencia region.

C-Cat
Old Aug 31st 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by C-Cat
Hi Pat,
Are you in Almeria? We're heading for the Valencia region.

C-Cat
45 KMS from Almeria,close to La Rabita
Pat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.