Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Postal System

Spanish Postal System

Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:30 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 15
grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Default Spanish Postal System

Hi there!
Does anyone have first hand experience of the spanish mail system ?? If we redirect our post from the U.K. to Spain (our villa address), are we ever likely to see it again???
grandscenic010 is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:40 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 377
Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

I have had not a single problem with the Spainish Mail System over my 3 1/2 years here.

I have however had many problems with Royal Mail!


Best
Loco


Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Hi there!
Does anyone have first hand experience of the spanish mail system ?? If we redirect our post from the U.K. to Spain (our villa address), are we ever likely to see it again???
Loco is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:53 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
countryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Sax, Nr Elda Alicante.
Posts: 223
countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Hello,
Is your villa on an estate? or is it in the country? I live just outside of town and get all my mail from the post office, I have a Box number where I pick up all my mail. "Apartado Correos" (translated, Apartment Post) or P.O. Box to you and me.

It might be better to get your post redirected to Family or a good friend then get them, say once a week to redirect it, after they sort the junk from the real mail, to your PO Box number or house in Spain.

Hope this helps

David.
countryboy is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:27 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 31
shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

I have great faith in the Spanish Postal System so long as your local postie knows who you are and where you are.
shoo is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:02 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 206
coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Hi there!
Does anyone have first hand experience of the spanish mail system ?? If we redirect our post from the U.K. to Spain (our villa address), are we ever likely to see it again???
We had a few things disappear when getting things forwarded, but over 99% arrived fine. Some things were strangely delayed while others would turn up within a couple of days of being sent from the originator in the UK. We used mail forwarding for about 3 years in the end.

We had a few things not appear or get returned to the UK when they were sent direct, so I think there's probably similar idiosyncracies in both UK and Spanish postal services.

I'd be happy to use redirection again if needed - go for the longest period available and do a thorough re-addressing programme with everything that arrives so that you don't let the redirection lapse until all the people/organisation you need are using your Spanish address. The Royal Mail will send renewal reminders out in good time so that it's almost too easy not to get into arranging people to use your new address.
coralsoft is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:08 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 15
grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by coralsoft
We had a few things disappear when getting things forwarded, but over 99% arrived fine. Some things were strangely delayed while others would turn up within a couple of days of being sent from the originator in the UK. We used mail forwarding for about 3 years in the end.

We had a few things not appear or get returned to the UK when they were sent direct, so I think there's probably similar idiosyncracies in both UK and Spanish postal services.

I'd be happy to use redirection again if needed - go for the longest period available and do a thorough re-addressing programme with everything that arrives so that you don't let the redirection lapse until all the people/organisation you need are using your Spanish address. The Royal Mail will send renewal reminders out in good time so that it's almost too easy not to get into arranging people to use your new address.
Thanks for all your replies they have been a great help. Moving abroad and uprooting your family is stressfull enough, we've just begun the process of clearing out all our house and prized posessions - we are being really ruthless and making sure we only bring what we need!! But it is so nice to get useful info from people that actually do know what they are talking about, because you are already there and have done it.
grandscenic010 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:03 pm
  #7  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Like shoo says, talk to the postie and introduce yourself
The only problem we had once was when we posted via an English bookshop in Spain and it never arrived.
jdr is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:34 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 83
svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Yes, making yourself seen and known at the local post office helps.

Post here at least is generally very good, went to pot a bit in August though
svenskidoo is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:45 pm
  #9  
scot chick
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: almoradi
Posts: 17
scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Hi there!
Does anyone have first hand experience of the spanish mail system ?? If we redirect our post from the U.K. to Spain (our villa address), are we ever likely to see it again???
yes there should be no problem with your mail once its redirected we moved out here 7 months ago and recieved all our post the only problem was for the first 3 months we had to collect it from the post office but now that our community is up & running we get it delivered to our post boxes ( well its not always in the correct one) .
scot chick is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:16 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 15
grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by scot chick
yes there should be no problem with your mail once its redirected we moved out here 7 months ago and recieved all our post the only problem was for the first 3 months we had to collect it from the post office but now that our community is up & running we get it delivered to our post boxes ( well its not always in the correct one) .
Where abouts do you live in Spain - Scot Chick ? And, what has the last 7 months been like for you, have you had lots of ups/downs ? How easy have you found it to settle in, find work etc....?
grandscenic010 is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:45 pm
  #11  
scot chick
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: almoradi
Posts: 17
scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Where abouts do you live in Spain - Scot Chick ? And, what has the last 7 months been like for you, have you had lots of ups/downs ? How easy have you found it to settle in, find work etc....?
its been great we really havent had any downs its all been good my husband and i both found jobs within 6 weeks of being here and ive just got rid of my 9th lot of visitors ive seen more of my children & grandchildren since i moved here than i did in the uk as we were always 100 miles per hour and totally stressed out with work we didnt have time for anyone but now thats totally changed we have definatly settled into the spanish way of living which is great .we live in a spanish town about 20 mins from torrovecia
scot chick is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:42 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 15
grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by scot chick
its been great we really havent had any downs its all been good my husband and i both found jobs within 6 weeks of being here and ive just got rid of my 9th lot of visitors ive seen more of my children & grandchildren since i moved here than i did in the uk as we were always 100 miles per hour and totally stressed out with work we didnt have time for anyone but now thats totally changed we have definatly settled into the spanish way of living which is great .we live in a spanish town about 20 mins from torrovecia
Thats really nice to know! How have your children settled ? Can you speak the lingo yet ??
grandscenic010 is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:15 pm
  #13  
scot chick
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: almoradi
Posts: 17
scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Thats really nice to know! How have your children settled ? Can you speak the lingo yet ??
we dont have children with us they are all grown up and living in the uk but have all been out on free hols im taking spanish lessons at the moment which are quite hard but im amazed how much i have picked up since i moved out here and being a spanish village helps as the locals speak very little english but are really helpful . my husband tends to get bye with using a lot of hands lol
scot chick is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:51 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 6
lasatalayas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

We've lived in the north of Valencia for two years and have nothing but praise for the Spanish postal system.

We have a continuing British Post Office address forwarding renewed annually and everything (including the old unwanted junk mail) comes through quickly and regularly.

Outgoing post to the UK and elsewhere in the world is inexpensive and seems to reach its destination quickly.

El Ken
lasatalayas is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.