Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Postal System

Spanish Postal System

Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Default Spanish Postal System

Hi there!
Does anyone have first hand experience of the spanish mail system ?? If we redirect our post from the U.K. to Spain (our villa address), are we ever likely to see it again???
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: Spanish Postal System

I have had not a single problem with the Spainish Mail System over my 3 1/2 years here.

I have however had many problems with Royal Mail!

Best
Loco

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Hi there!
Does anyone have first hand experience of the spanish mail system ?? If we redirect our post from the U.K. to Spain (our villa address), are we ever likely to see it again???
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hello,
Is your villa on an estate? or is it in the country? I live just outside of town and get all my mail from the post office, I have a Box number where I pick up all my mail. "Apartado Correos" (translated, Apartment Post) or P.O. Box to you and me.

It might be better to get your post redirected to Family or a good friend then get them, say once a week to redirect it, after they sort the junk from the real mail, to your PO Box number or house in Spain.

Hope this helps

David.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough

I have great faith in the Spanish Postal System so long as your local postie knows who you are and where you are.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Hi there!
We had a few things disappear when getting things forwarded, but over 99% arrived fine. Some things were strangely delayed while others would turn up within a couple of days of being sent from the originator in the UK. We used mail forwarding for about 3 years in the end.

We had a few things not appear or get returned to the UK when they were sent direct, so I think there's probably similar idiosyncracies in both UK and Spanish postal services.

I'd be happy to use redirection again if needed - go for the longest period available and do a thorough re-addressing programme with everything that arrives so that you don't let the redirection lapse until all the people/organisation you need are using your Spanish address. The Royal Mail will send renewal reminders out in good time so that it's almost too easy not to get into arranging people to use your new address.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by coralsoft
We had a few things disappear when getting things forwarded, but over 99% arrived fine. Some things were strangely delayed while others would turn up within a couple of days of being sent from the originator in the UK. We used mail forwarding for about 3 years in the end.

We had a few things not appear or get returned to the UK when they were sent direct, so I think there's probably similar idiosyncracies in both UK and Spanish postal services.

I'd be happy to use redirection again if needed - go for the longest period available and do a thorough re-addressing programme with everything that arrives so that you don't let the redirection lapse until all the people/organisation you need are using your Spanish address. The Royal Mail will send renewal reminders out in good time so that it's almost too easy not to get into arranging people to use your new address.
Thanks for all your replies they have been a great help. Moving abroad and uprooting your family is stressfull enough, we've just begun the process of clearing out all our house and prized posessions - we are being really ruthless and making sure we only bring what we need!! But it is so nice to get useful info from people that actually do know what they are talking about, because you are already there and have done it.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Like shoo says, talk to the postie and introduce yourself
The only problem we had once was when we posted via an English bookshop in Spain and it never arrived.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, making yourself seen and known at the local post office helps.

Post here at least is generally very good, went to pot a bit in August though
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:45 pm
scot chick

scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
yes there should be no problem with your mail once its redirected we moved out here 7 months ago and recieved all our post the only problem was for the first 3 months we had to collect it from the post office but now that our community is up & running we get it delivered to our post boxes ( well its not always in the correct one) .
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot chick
yes there should be no problem with your mail once its redirected we moved out here 7 months ago and recieved all our post the only problem was for the first 3 months we had to collect it from the post office but now that our community is up & running we get it delivered to our post boxes ( well its not always in the correct one) .
Where abouts do you live in Spain - Scot Chick ? And, what has the last 7 months been like for you, have you had lots of ups/downs ? How easy have you found it to settle in, find work etc....?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:45 pm
scot chick

Thumbs up Re: Spanish Postal System

Where abouts do you live in Spain - Scot Chick ? And, what has the last 7 months been like for you, have you had lots of ups/downs ? How easy have you found it to settle in, find work etc....?
its been great we really havent had any downs its all been good my husband and i both found jobs within 6 weeks of being here and ive just got rid of my 9th lot of visitors ive seen more of my children & grandchildren since i moved here than i did in the uk as we were always 100 miles per hour and totally stressed out with work we didnt have time for anyone but now thats totally changed we have definatly settled into the spanish way of living which is great .we live in a spanish town about 20 mins from torrovecia
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot chick
its been great we really havent had any downs its all been good my husband and i both found jobs within 6 weeks of being here and ive just got rid of my 9th lot of visitors ive seen more of my children & grandchildren since i moved here than i did in the uk as we were always 100 miles per hour and totally stressed out with work we didnt have time for anyone but now thats totally changed we have definatly settled into the spanish way of living which is great .we live in a spanish town about 20 mins from torrovecia
Thats really nice to know! How have your children settled ? Can you speak the lingo yet ??
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:15 pm
scot chick

Thats really nice to know! How have your children settled ? Can you speak the lingo yet ??
we dont have children with us they are all grown up and living in the uk but have all been out on free hols im taking spanish lessons at the moment which are quite hard but im amazed how much i have picked up since i moved out here and being a spanish village helps as the locals speak very little english but are really helpful . my husband tends to get bye with using a lot of hands lol
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

lasatalayas is an unknown quantity at this point

We've lived in the north of Valencia for two years and have nothing but praise for the Spanish postal system.

We have a continuing British Post Office address forwarding renewed annually and everything (including the old unwanted junk mail) comes through quickly and regularly.

Outgoing post to the UK and elsewhere in the world is inexpensive and seems to reach its destination quickly.

El Ken