British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish neighbours (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-neighbours-432128/)

Mitzyboy Mar 4th 2007 12:20 pm

Spanish neighbours

You know, in 30 years of house ownership in the UK I hardly had anything to do with our various neighbours.

Our neighbours here have been so helpful its untrue, and the last couple of days has been unbelievable. He's Spanish and she's French.

Two days ago I had 1400 bricks delivered, 40 sacks of sand and 10 sacks of cement. To get them to my underbuild I have to carry these down from the road about 35-40 steps.

Yesterday afternoon as I was slaving away they both arrived and spent several hours of hard graft helping me carry them down to the first landing. This morning, seeing I was struggling away with the bags of sand they both appeared again and helped me carry those down.

She said "we are just pleased to help you"

battlezone123 Mar 4th 2007 1:54 pm

Re: Spanish neighbours

Our neightbour turned up with his tractor and wanted to plough our back garden. He could not understand why we did not want our garden ploughed so we could grow potatoes!

MnM Mar 4th 2007 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4480465)
You know, in 30 years of house ownership in the UK I hardly had anything to do with our various neighbours.

Our neighbours here have been so helpful its untrue, and the last couple of days has been unbelievable. He's Spanish and she's French.

Two days ago I had 1400 bricks delivered, 40 sacks of sand and 10 sacks of cement. To get them to my underbuild I have to carry these down from the road about 35-40 steps.

Yesterday afternoon as I was slaving away they both arrived and spent several hours of hard graft helping me carry them down to the first landing. This morning, seeing I was struggling away with the bags of sand they both appeared again and helped me carry those down.

It is the Mediterranean way :)

Big Pete Mar 4th 2007 2:01 pm

wow brilliant neighbours ,, hope you brought them a real Ale or 2 ..

Mitzyboy Mar 4th 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Big Pete (Post 4480646)
wow brilliant neighbours ,, hope you brought them a real Ale or 2 ..

We bought them a decent case of wine last year because they had helped us out a lot with paperwork etc, and they were almost upset that we had spent the money on them as they said we didn't need to as they were happy to help us

jood Mar 4th 2007 2:37 pm

You're all making me want to move right now! We've been here in Southwestern Ontario just over two years - it was nearly six months before we met any of our neighbours! We discovered later that one of them works in the post office (where we collect our mail on a daily basis); she never once mentioned that we were neighbours, yet she knew who we were from sorting our mail! This is a town that prides itself on its "friendliness".

pwwm Mar 4th 2007 2:52 pm

I would agree that the Spanish are fantastic, our neighbours are brilliant, help with the large garden, more mountain side really, fresh vegetable's and milk on a regular basis.

They love meeting friends and family from the UK.

pwwm

Mercedes Mar 4th 2007 3:10 pm

My neighbours all Spanish are great as well. My next door has helped me in the garden when I needed it, found me a plumber when my well gave up and looked after my dog when I was in hospital. He hates it if I get him presents to thank him. My other neighbours also have helped in pushing my car when I left the lights on one day, along with all their friends. I certainly love it more now here living in a spanish community and none of them speak a word of English and put up with my pigeon spanish. Considering it isn't fluent, they still invite me around for coffee and meals regularly.

gallerie9 Mar 4th 2007 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4480659)
We bought them a decent case of wine last year because they had helped us out a lot with paperwork etc, and they were almost upset that we had spent the money on them as they said we didn't need to as they were happy to help us

Ours are the same Mitzyboy cant believe the difference between here and the UK. I lived in Stratford upon Avon for 10 years it wouldnt happen there would it LOL

Rosemary Mar 4th 2007 4:05 pm

Different breed of people in Spain, help you and look at you oddly if you try to give them something as a thank you. All of our neighbours are Spanish and they are a joy to live amongst, so friendly and informative and our Spanish is lousy so they need to have the patience of saints.

Mitzyboy Mar 4th 2007 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 4480811)
Ours are the same Mitzyboy cant believe the difference between here and the UK. I lived in Stratford upon Avon for 10 years it wouldnt happen there would it LOL

Ha Ha..... I lived in Kineton and Bishops Itchington, and at least in the villages people would talk to you ..... but I have a lot of friends in SOA, and its a really snobby place .... present company excluded of course.

Yes, people have said on here that the Spanish are unfriendly .... not around here :D I have found them to be the most friendly of people both here and in the town.

What I have found, is that we have a few German neighbours and they seem to make the effort to look the other way when walking past :(

gallerie9 Mar 4th 2007 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4480943)
Ha Ha..... I lived in Kineton and Bishops Itchington, and at least in the villages people would talk to you ..... but I have a lot of friends in SOA, and its a really snobby place .... present company excluded of course.

Yes, people have said on here that the Spanish are unfriendly .... not around here :D I have found them to be the most friendly of people both here and in the town.

What I have found, is that we have a few German neighbours and they seem to make the effort to look the other way when walking past :(

MMM I lived in Snitterfield MMMMM snotterfield my mother called it LOL

Yes I agree about the Germans except one or two, there is a dutch woman live here and she is awful the first thing she said to me was "this place and the people are awful" cut her short quickly and told her "well I like it and the people"
We were in a bar with a group of women and she spoke to me in English Well I have a problem with that ! I spoke back in Spanish because I could (well I could that question) she shouted at me "speak to me in english, I can understand" I replied In spanish "well our friends around this table cant understand, and that rude"
She talks to us both in Spanish now ........ hers is much better than ours but when in Rome and all that

brisca Mar 4th 2007 5:10 pm

We are also amazed at the kindness and generosity of our Spanish neighbours.
Ever since we arrived here (a year ago) we've been given eggs, lemons, oranges, lettuces and peppers on a regular basis!

People always make sure we know what's going on (forthcoming events etc)
The other evening I missed an "Amas de Casa" meeting (or WI meeting, as OH has dubbed it!) because I hadn't heard the loudspeaker announcement from the Ayuntamiento earlier in the day.
As soon as the meeting finished, the President was knocking on our door to see if I was OK, because "you never miss a meeting!"
Within the next couple of days, numerous women came to check that I knew there is a meal organised for this coming Thursday (el dia de mujeres/trabajadoras, just in case all you girlies need an excuse for a day of rest and frivolity! :D )

A neighbour recenty gave me two lifts a day, for four days, into the next town when she took her children to school.
I gave her a box of chocolates as a small thank you, and she told me I was mad! She said she was going there anyway, so why did I think thanks were necessary!

Everyone speaks to each other, and people are always interested in what you've been doing or where you're going - and it doesn't seem like people are just being nosey! They seem genuinely interested in us, and we know that anyone would drop everything for us if we ever had a crisis.

Maybe part of the difference is that in coming to a new country, you HAVE to make an effort to integrate; whereas in the UK there isn't that language barrier that needs to be overcome, and you can be pretty independent even in a new neighbourhood?
However, methinks the main difference is that Spanish people are just generally far more friendly and outgoing, and the Spanish way of life is far more conducive to having time to care about other people's wellbeing :)

gallerie9 Mar 4th 2007 5:37 pm

[Maybe part of the difference is that in coming to a new country, you HAVE to make an effort to integrate; whereas in the UK there isn't that language barrier that needs to be overcome, and you can be pretty independent even in a new neighbourhood?
However, methinks the main difference is that Spanish people are just generally far more friendly and outgoing, and the Spanish way of life is far more conducive to having time to care about other people's wellbeing

thats the reason Brisca I was no different in the UK to Spain Yet like you we are now part of the community

Good luck with the house when do you start ?

brisca Mar 4th 2007 5:49 pm

thats the reason Brisca I was no different in the UK to Spain Yet like you we are now part of the community

Good luck with the house when do you start ?

Hi gallerie (is it OK to use your "real" name in open replies??)

It sounds like our current lifestyles and experiences are very similar, which is lovely :)

As for the house, I wish we knew!!
The architect was supposed to bring some plans round yesterday......but he just didn't turn up! (He didn't answer his phone either :frown: )
We don't think we'll be starting until April/May time, but how long is a Spanish piece of string, eh!? ;)

Will no doubt be posting some "stressed" threads as time goes on!!
Sounds like things are coming along really well in your place.
That's a fantastic view you've got!

All the best,
Sam.