British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are Spanish nationals and Spanish citizens the same thing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-nationals-spanish-citizens-same-thing-783795/)

doo Jan 14th 2013 9:45 pm

Are Spanish nationals and Spanish citizens the same thing?

I came across this paragraph in a book I am reading;

Mohamed Azaf, a social worker who works for Madrid City Hall, resents the fast track for Latinos to obtain Spanish citizenship because of 'cultural links', meaning a two-year wait compared to ten years for Moroccans. "To be a policeman, a doctor, a politician, even a bus driver, you need Spanish nationality," he stressed.

Not that I want to be a bus driver or anything. I understand policeman or a politician, but a doctor? :confused: a bus driver? :scaredhair: You have to be a Spanish citizen?

billgates Jan 15th 2013 7:13 am

Re: Are Spanish nationals and Spanish citizens the same thing?

My wife and I are UK nationals. We have a child who was born in Spain but she is not classed as a Spanish national because her parents are not Spanish.

Presumably, based on the OP, she couldn't get a job even as a bus driver?
Is that correct under EU law?

cricketman Jan 15th 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by doo (Post 10482990)

Not that I want to be a bus driver or anything. I understand policeman or a politician, but a doctor? :confused: a bus driver? :scaredhair: You have to be a Spanish citizen?

The guy's talking rubbish - probably he's seeing it from the point of view that many Moraccan's are illegally residet in Spain and so cannot apply for any legal jobs, or that their Spanish is so bad that they can't pass the oposiciones

However, most bus services are private companies now anyway, so even that doesnt apply

Pocaloca Jan 15th 2013 8:57 am

Originally Posted by doo (Post 10482990)
I came across this paragraph in a book I am reading;

Mohamed Azaf, a social worker who works for Madrid City Hall, resents the fast track for Latinos to obtain Spanish citizenship because of 'cultural links', meaning a two-year wait compared to ten years for Moroccans. "To be a policeman, a doctor, a politician, even a bus driver, you need Spanish nationality," he stressed.

No, though it might look that way if you are from a non-EU country. Maybe the book was written before Spain joined the EU? Or perhaps he is just unaware that all EU citizens have the same rights as Spanish citizens when it comes to work. Either way, he is right that if you aren't from an EU or Latin-American country you go to the back of the queue.

snikpoh Jan 15th 2013 9:55 am

Well, we've been looking into this for my son when he leaves school.

Our findings are that to be a policeman or in the army then you must be a Spanish National. We then enquired about other government posts and were given the same answer.

I am assuming politicians are in this category but I can't see how bus drivers are - that's pushing the boundaries a bit too far.

Any one else come across the restrictions that I mention?

avocados Jan 15th 2013 10:02 am

One of the prerequisites to become a policeman in Spain is SPANISH NATIONALITY. (Your right to a Spanish Passport is probably the easiest way to confirm if you're Spanish or not).

Just read last message;
The only requirement for Funcionarios in general is EU residency. The reason you don't see many "foreigners" in these positions is their inability to pass the exams.

agoreira Jan 15th 2013 10:42 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 10483732)
Well, we've been looking into this for my son when he leaves school.

Our findings are that to be a policeman or in the army then you must be a Spanish National.

Is that correct? There are thousands of South Americans in the Army, for example. According to this, they just need residencia. Won't apply to Brits, but nearly 10% of the Spanish Armed Forces are immigrants.
http://www.parainmigrantes.info/extr...rcito-espanol/

Rotor Jan 16th 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 10483787)
Is that correct? There are thousands of South Americans in the Army, for example. According to this, they just need residencia. Won't apply to Brits, but nearly 10% of the Spanish Armed Forces are immigrants.
http://www.parainmigrantes.info/extr...rcito-espanol/

A lot join the Spanish Foreign Legion

http://www.lalegion.es/

agoreira Jan 16th 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 10486216)
A lot join the Spanish Foreign Legion

http://www.lalegion.es/

Yes, they certainly do! The Spanish are always slagging off immigrants, but they don't have a problem letting them do the dirty jobs and joining the Forces. They generally end up doing the most dangerous postings.
Immigrants make up 5% of the Forces, but 30% of the parachute regiments and the Legion. ie. the jobs that are the most dangerous.

Aunque son 4.309 los inmigrantes que forman parte del Ejército español, sumando tropa y marinería (la Fuerza Aérea todavía no los admite), lo que repersenta un 5,5 por ciento del total, en unidades de primera línea, donde el riesgo de morir en el campo de batalla o en misiones internacionales es mucho mayor -como la Brigada Paracaidista o la Legión- el porcentaje se acerca a un 30 por ciento, de ahí que el riesgo de que mueran en «teatros de operaciones» como el afgano o el libanés, donde ahora hay misiones bajo paraguas legal de la ONU, es mucho mayor.

cricketman Jan 16th 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 10486559)
Yes, they certainly do! The Spanish are always slagging off immigrants

Are they? Some people I've spoken to have been very ignorant about different nationalities, but I've yet to come across any hatred, mainly bemusement about why they have come to Spain

Pocaloca Jan 16th 2013 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10486650)
Are they? Some people I've spoken to have been very ignorant about different nationalities, but I've yet to come across any hatred, mainly bemusement about why they have come to Spain

I've met a few, not many. As you say though, it's mainly based on ignorance. No way are the Spanish "always slagging off immigrants" - they must just be the ones Aggie knows. :sneaky:

jackytoo Jan 16th 2013 5:10 pm

The Spanish do plenty of slagging off immigrants on forums:( Do you ever read them:blink:

A spanish friend is very fond of them, he says you can employ 2 Romanians for the price of a spaniard:lol:

agoreira Jan 16th 2013 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10486846)
The Spanish do plenty of slagging off immigrants on forums:( Do you ever read them:blink:

A spanish friend is very fond of them, he says you can employ 2 Romanians for the price of a spaniard:lol:

Sudacos and moros are rarely spoken off in glowing terms, in fact Spain is regarded as one of the most racists countries in the world, not by me, but by thousands of others that took the time to vote. But I expect they are all wrong! ;) I think the one's here with Spanish partners are in denial, they've adopted the famous Spanish "vista gorda." Considering the number of immigrants in Spain, the number represented in top jobs is abysmal, although they are happy to use them as "carne de cañón" in the Forces.
http://listas.20minutos.es/lista/los...-mundo-336846/

Ex-pat Jan 16th 2013 7:45 pm

May I go back to the original post and compare with other EU countries?

This is what happened to myself and OH.

I am not British, my OH is British.
Our first child was born in my country of origin which is also in EU.
I was informed immediately that our son could have dual nationality and would be called up for military service when old enough but would NEVER be able to work for any Government department as his FATHER was British.

So I guess that Spain and possibly other countries also draw the line at what jobs "Nationals" and "Non Nationals" can and can not do.

cricketman Jan 17th 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ex-pat (Post 10487186)
May I go back to the original post and compare with other EU countries?

This is what happened to myself and OH.

I am not British, my OH is British.
Our first child was born in my country of origin which is also in EU.
I was informed immediately that our son could have dual nationality and would be called up for military service when old enough but would NEVER be able to work for any Government department as his FATHER was British.

So I guess that Spain and possibly other countries also draw the line at what jobs "Nationals" and "Non Nationals" can and can not do.

If you are talking about Spain for the above than this is all nonsense

For a start, there hasnt been national service in Spain for years now. And second, anyone from the EU can adopt Spanish nationality if they are born in that country or if they have lived their 10 years.

As for racism, that depends what forums you visit. You can find hideous racist opinions from British or Spanish people if you go to the right forum. From time to time, one or two pop up on here.

From my day to day life I've heard a lot more racists opinions from Brits than from Spaniards. When I lived in the CDS I had a number of Brits tell me that they had moved to Spain to get away from all the foreigners :rofl: