Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are Spanish museums rubbish?

Are Spanish museums rubbish?

Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:52 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Spanish museums rubbish?

Not one gets into the top 20 visited museums in the world. Not even the Prado.

http://skift.com/2013/06/19/the-20-m...s-dc-dominate/
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Spanish museums rubbish?

Maybe it's me but whenever I go into a Spanish museum all I seem to see are booooooring dark drab religious paintings.

Recently visited the Guggenheim, total waste of time for me, the building was interesting but the exhibits rubbish.

There must be others that have historical or engineering artifacts but they seem to evade me.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:21 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the Prado was ok. Doesn't compare with the Louvre or National Gallery etc. The Picasso museum in Malaga is overhyped, seen lots of bad reviews too.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:21 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Maybe it's me but whenever I go into a Spanish museum all I seem to see are booooooring dark drab religious paintings.

Recently visited the Guggenheim, total waste of time for me, the building was interesting but the exhibits rubbish.

There must be others that have historical or engineering artifacts but they seem to evade me.
Apart from the Prado, the one Spanish museum that really made an impact on me was the Columbus museum in Valladolid. A very small place it has to be said, but to see journals from those original crossings in front of oneself was awe-inspiring.
Strange that I rarely go to museums here in London, but I loved the ones in Glasgow.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

In my opinion, the triplet of the Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia are some of the best art museums in the world, although I admit they are very much biased in terms of Spanish art, but there is so much good stuff! We went to all 3 in one weekend and loved it

In terms of other types of museums, I can't think of any important ones. The science museum in Barcelona is pretty good. Of couse, those of us who have lived in London were very spoilt with the excellent free museums, although for art, Madrid rivals or even beats them.

The Guggenheim in Bilbao is terrible, but then so is all late 20thC "art"

The Picasso museum in Málaga is terrible, it mainly contains draft works. The one in Barcelona is better
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited the Arts & Sciences Museum in Valencia about 8 years ago. Fabulous building and I can't of course report what it's like now, but at that time it was absolutely pathetic in my opinion. Others may disagree. I won't go in to all that was so bad, but what topped it for us was that some of the 'exhibits' which needed entry were closed for siesta!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:45 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the Prado, the one Spanish museum that really made an impact on me was the Columbus museum in Valladolid. A very small place it has to be said, but to see journals from those original crossings in front of oneself was awe-inspiring.
Strange that I rarely go to museums here in London, but I loved the ones in Glasgow.
I don´t think that is strange at all, you seem to be only interested in what is going on in Spain, especially the trains.

Are you after the job of Fat Controller by any chance?

Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by me me
I don´t think that is strange at all, you seem to be only interested in what is going on in Spain, especially the trains.

Another personal attack, nothing to do with the thread at all.
Are you incredibly stupid? - Glasgow isn't anywhere near Spain.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

If they did a list of top 20 visited art museums the Prado might get in I guess. Also being so close to two other famous museums probably doesn't help - tourists probably do one or two of the three, but not all of them.

In fact only 2 and a half European countries appear on that list, and it's pretty hard to compete with Paris and London.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

The Picasso museum in Málaga is terrible, it mainly contains draft works. The one in Barcelona is better
Agree totally
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to any art museums but we have been to lots of local museums which have been run by really enthusiastic people who have been welcoming and informative. They have even taken things out of displays so that the children can touch and learn and in the more formal ones we have nearly always been offered translation headsets.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know to what extent our museums can be boring or ugly, because I am not animal of museums and because I have not entered in a museum for years. Maybe for some are ugly,but maybe it is because basically what we expose are the things of our country, with better or worse luck ( or simply not well exposed, because we have many artists and a lot of historical monument, maybe we don't know how to sell our patrimony) and not as other museums of other countries (that here people says that are better or more famous that our museums) that simply highlight because their works are the spoliation that they made to other countries, as Egypt, The India, etc

And I don't want to give names....

Last edited by Relampago; Jun 22nd 2013 at 10:13 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I thought the Prado was ok. Doesn't compare with the Louvre or National Gallery etc. The Picasso museum in Malaga is overhyped, seen lots of bad reviews too.
Are museums, Jacky, are not taverns
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
simply highlight because their works are the spoliation that they made to other countries, as Egypt, The India, etc

And I don't want to give names....
Don't be shy, Lampy, but swap those countries for the Americas, Asia etc and you have Archivo de Indias, Casa Lonja de Mercaderes in Sevilla.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.