Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish motorcycle licence

Spanish motorcycle licence

Old Oct 6th 2021, 10:44 am
Just Joined

lindasal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish motorcycle licence

I for one am sincerely hoping they reach agreement of the licence exchange , we are moving over early next year and I hold a car licence, motor cycle, and HGV class 1. I would hate to have to go through that lot again.....
Old Oct 6th 2021, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure there is an agreement to be made in the reciprocal sense. 3rd country nationals in UK need UK licences but seeing as they also need English language as a residential requirement it is not something they complain about. Brits unfortunately are still having to adjust to a world that can equally regard them as immigrants and the disadvantages that carries
Old Oct 6th 2021, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Flyingbanana is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Spanish motorcycle licence

Originally Posted by lindasal
I for one am sincerely hoping they reach agreement of the licence exchange , we are moving over early next year and I hold a car licence, motor cycle, and HGV class 1. I would hate to have to go through that lot again.....
SNAP!!!
Old Oct 6th 2021, 12:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I . 3rd country nationals in UK need UK licences but seeing as they also need English language as a residential requirement
Since when has the ability to speak English been a requirement for residency? Citizenship yes.

Spain has agreeemnts with nearly 30 non EU countries to exchange licences - why should an agreemnt with the UK be a problem, especially as current UK licences already meet the EU requirements. It's only a matter of when, not if.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingbanana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
Since when has the ability to speak English been a requirement for residency? Citizenship yes.

Spain has agreeemnts with nearly 30 non EU countries to exchange licences - why should an agreemnt with the UK be a problem, especially as current UK licences already meet the EU requirements. It's only a matter of when, not if.
Fingers crossed Fred
Old Oct 6th 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

To obtain a UK Visa you need proof of English Language. Even a spouse of a UK national needs English Language as a residency requirement.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone has considered the difficulty a poor English speaker would have when reading the rules, in English, for residency when it says, "Leave to Remain" and two of the definitions of 'leave'.
Maybe that is part of the test.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies but I’m still as confused as I was in the beginning so I’ll be a bit more specific...

I only recently became a Spanish resident but been in Spain for a long time, unfortunately i have fell into the bracket of people that need to take a Spanish driving test (car) to obtain a licence which I’m not worried about as I speak generally good Spanish and you can do it all in English in Torrevieja anyway lol

but what I do want to do is buy a Honda X-ADV 750cc scooter in which you need (carnet A2) to ride one, it is not a geared motorbike it’s a rev and go scooter but very fast,

I would just like to know if I can go to some sort of training centre specifically to obtain a carnet A2 ??

or like somebody said in this thread do you need to obtain the A1 first and be competent upto a certain cc for a while before you can get the A2 ??

something about that rings familiar with the U.K. actually now I think about it 🤔

if this is all the case then that is my Honda X-ADV 750cc idea out the window isn’t it haha!!

on the back of my U.K. car driving licence I have A and AM for motorbikes, I did have a 125cc scooter on my U.K. driving licence in Spain a few years back, might just have to get one of those again 🤣
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Thanks for the replies but I’m still as confused as I was in the beginning so I’ll be a bit more specific...

I only recently became a Spanish resident but been in Spain for a long time, unfortunately i have fell into the bracket of people that need to take a Spanish driving test (car) to obtain a licence which I’m not worried about as I speak generally good Spanish and you can do it all in English in Torrevieja anyway lol

but what I do want to do is buy a Honda X-ADV 750cc scooter in which you need (carnet A2) to ride one, it is not a geared motorbike it’s a rev and go scooter but very fast,

I would just like to know if I can go to some sort of training centre specifically to obtain a carnet A2 ??

or like somebody said in this thread do you need to obtain the A1 first and be competent upto a certain cc for a while before you can get the A2 ??

something about that rings familiar with the U.K. actually now I think about it 🤔

if this is all the case then that is my Honda X-ADV 750cc idea out the window isn’t it haha!!

on the back of my U.K. car driving licence I have A and AM for motorbikes, I did have a 125cc scooter on my U.K. driving licence in Spain a few years back, might just have to get one of those again 🤣
Here's some information re what you ask. One thing is A2 is not necessarily about engine size but engine power max 35 BHP. Some bikes are capable of having the power output restricted. Also I believe (I may be wrong) but as you will need to take the Spanish car test that would make you a new driver with requirement to display the green L plate for 12 months. I think you have to have held the Spanish car licence for a set period of time before it allows you to drive up to 125 motorbike?
https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog...-in-spain.html
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.diariomotor.com/noticia/...xamen-a2-2021/

this sounds promising
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
Here's some information re what you ask. One thing is A2 is not necessarily about engine size but engine power max 35 BHP. Some bikes are capable of having the power output restricted. Also I believe (I may be wrong) but as you will need to take the Spanish car test that would make you a new driver with requirement to display the green L plate for 12 months. I think you have to have held the Spanish car licence for a set period of time before it allows you to drive up to 125 motorbike?
https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog...-in-spain.html
oh yea I think you’re right..... maybe have to wait 3 years. You never know though.... we will probably be able to swap the U.K. licenses again soon lol
Old Oct 6th 2021, 5:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
To obtain a UK Visa you need proof of English Language. Even a spouse of a UK national needs English Language as a residency requirement.
Please give a link to where that is stated - I couldn’t find one.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the formatting, but is this it?

"You may be eligible for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) if your partner is:
  • a British citizen
  • settled in the UK
If you’re 18 to 64 years old when you apply you must also:
https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/...h-your-partner
Old Oct 6th 2021, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Please give a link to where that is stated - I couldn’t find one.
Family visas: apply, extend or switch: Knowledge of English - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
There are some exceptions, such as those aged 65+, from predominantly English speaking country, with mental incapacity etc, but usually you have to show English speaking ability by passing an approved test at A1 level or above, degree taught in English. To extend your stay after 2.5 years, you need language test pass at A2 or higher. For settlement (indefinite leave to remain), it's B1.

Last edited by Joppa; Oct 6th 2021 at 5:57 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lefty2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
Also ones ability to learn a new language is different for all of us. You may have found learning Spanish easy many don't, we are all different.
I can honestly say at nearly 60 years old learning Spanish is not easy, well t isn’t easy for me 😂 I did duolingo for 12 months and I have been having lessons for the last 5 months, my teacher said only last night it generally takes 4 years to become competent, there will certainly of course be exceptions due to starting at younger ages 😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.