Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Mileuristas

Spanish Mileuristas

Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Mileuristas

Interesting article with contributions from young Spaniards about the changing effects of the crisis on their lives and lifestyle since it began.

Apologies link doesn't seem to work, I shall try again.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2015/05/14/...81_253944.html

Ah, success !

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jul 13th 2015 at 8:52 pm. Reason: Add on
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Mileuristas

When I moved to Spain in Jan 2005 being a Mileurista made you an object of pity. Now ten years later it's something to aspire to.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hiring again here, and the late 20s early 30s candidates with no experience and 2 degrees and 2 masters all want to get paid 25k per year

Which is completely unrealistic. One of which turned down the job at 20k per year because it "wasnt enough" despite being unemployed for 2 years and now on his 3rd masters

It is unbelievable the amount of CVs that have received from people in their 30s with no or very limited work experience. It is scary
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'm hiring again here, and the late 20s early 30s candidates with no experience and 2 degrees and 2 masters all want to get paid 25k per year

Which is completely unrealistic. One of which turned down the job at 20k per year because it "wasnt enough" despite being unemployed for 2 years and now on his 3rd masters

It is unbelievable the amount of CVs that have received from people in their 30s with no or very limited work experience. It is scary
It is ingrained into the Spanish psyche and will take a long time to overcome. People think that just by getting a qualification they will get a good job, and if that doesn't work then they get another qualification, etc. Traditionally the best jobs have been in government and people got those jobs by passing exams (oposiciones) so maybe that encouraged people to think that qualifications gave you the best chance of a job. Also the Spanish word "carrera" refers to your studies rather than your work - implying that your career ends when your studies end and supposedly reward you with a job for life.

I came to Madrid 11 years ago and got a job as a mileurista and Spanish people told me that's as good as it gets. By changing jobs a few times I now earn over 4 times that, but many Spanish couldn't understand why I'd want to change job. The concept of building up skills and knowledge through doing different jobs seemed completely alien to them. Spanish employment laws don't help - they encourage people to stay in the same job rather than build their skills. Also the fact so many Spaniards stay living with their parents until they're older means they don't need to become financially independent, and they more readily accept poor wages. €1000/month ain't bad if it's just your pocket money.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
Also the fact so many Spaniards stay living with their parents until they're older means they don't need to become financially independent, and they more readily accept poor wages. €1000/month ain't bad if it's just your pocket money.
To be fair I think there's a bit of chicken and egg there as well as cultural differences. Many now simply can't afford to leave home unless it's to a student-type flat share and they probably think staying at home and saving up is better in the long run.

I've known over the years a few spaniards who were putting of beginning a life until they got a degree, or a masters, or passed their opposiciones. Whether it's moving out of your parents house, getting married or starting a family think it's sad that it's put off forever.

And then the crisis happened, and those who'd devoted years to getting those qualifiactions and preparing for those opposiciones suddenly find there are no places and it's been all sacrifice for nothing.

I have enormous sympathy for them and think that this crisis, far from being over, might be only just beginning.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera

I came to Madrid 11 years ago and got a job as a mileurista and Spanish people told me that's as good as it gets. By changing jobs a few times I now earn over 4 times that, but many Spanish couldn't understand why I'd want to change job. The concept of building up skills and knowledge through doing different jobs seemed completely alien to them. Spanish employment laws don't help - they encourage people to stay in the same job rather than build their skills. Also the fact so many Spaniards stay living with their parents until they're older means they don't need to become financially independent, and they more readily accept poor wages. €1000/month ain't bad if it's just your pocket money.
Absolutely

They want a job to pay them really well from day 1 - and then to stay doing the same job for the rest of their life

This is how the world worked 30-40 years ago. Not now

I can't believe that so many supposedly intelligent young people haven't worked this out yet
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
To be fair I think there's a bit of chicken and egg there as well as cultural differences. Many now simply can't afford to leave home unless it's to a student-type flat share and they probably think staying at home and saving up is better in the long run.

I've known over the years a few spaniards who were putting of beginning a life until they got a degree, or a masters, or passed their opposiciones. Whether it's moving out of your parents house, getting married or starting a family think it's sad that it's put off forever.

And then the crisis happened, and those who'd devoted years to getting those qualifiactions and preparing for those opposiciones suddenly find there are no places and it's been all sacrifice for nothing.

I have enormous sympathy for them and think that this crisis, far from being over, might be only just beginning.
Yes it's terrible for them, but the model of encouraging all the brightest people into jobs for life as civil servants, where they cannot be sacked and have very generous state pensions, and this is somehow paid for by a private sector where wages are much lower was always unsustainable.

Fortunately this has been recognised to an extent and there has been a big push to encourage people to become entrepreneurs, and start their own businesses. However Spanish company laws and red tape still make it difficult for people to start a company and make a go of things.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rachelk

Yes absolutely. It is very difficult to find a good job in Spain being under 35. It is almost impossible, never mind what qualifications you have

However, I see very little proactiveness among young people. Although, as someone told me, all the proactive young people have already left Oviedo so we are left with the lazy ones!