Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Lessons

Spanish Lessons

Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

miastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nice
Default Spanish Lessons

I really need to learn Spanish. Can anyone suggest a good way? I learnt it at school but forgotten lots. I have got various books dvds but not much help. I was thinking of going to a spanish course or a private tutor. I live 20 min from seville/ sevilla so could travel in.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Lessons

Originally Posted by miastar25
I really need to learn Spanish. Can anyone suggest a good way? I learnt it at school but forgotten lots. I have got various books dvds but not much help. I was thinking of going to a spanish course or a private tutor. I live 20 min from seville/ sevilla so could travel in.
Seville is a perfect place to learn Spanish. The best thing would be to do an intensive course because within a couple of months you would be able to converse and understand what people are saying to you.

Just google "intensive Spanish course Seville" and choose one that suits you!

They are a good way to meet people too.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:57 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miastar25
some learn best in a group, some with a private one to one

imo a small group where the teacher gets you all talking is best - with extra one-to-one if you can afford it

- unfortunately many teachers want the groups as big as possible in order to make more money, so it's easy to 'hide' & not learn much or say anything at all!!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
some learn best in a group, some with a private one to one

imo a small group where the teacher gets you all talking is best - with extra one-to-one if you can afford it

- unfortunately many teachers want the groups as big as possible in order to make more money, so it's easy to 'hide' & not learn much or say anything at all!!
Much better to go to a language school accredited by the Instituto Cervantes. They get checked to make sure people actually learn at a good pace and most offer the official DELE exams if you want them. You can choose between a mix of group and individual lessons here.

With all respect to lynxxa, with an individual teacher you dont know if they are stringing you along so you'll never leave and get independent
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Where abouts are you? We are an hour from Sevilla and we meet once a week with 3 Spanish girls (all fluent in English) Who run a language school. We do an hour of Spanish followed by an hour of English conversation, hence there is no money involved!!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Much better to go to a language school accredited by the Instituto Cervantes. They get checked to make sure people actually learn at a good pace and most offer the official DELE exams if you want them. You can choose between a mix of group and individual lessons here.

With all respect to lynxxa, with an individual teacher you dont know if they are stringing you along so you'll never leave and get independent
yes, an accredited language school (if you can afford it) - but again small groups if at all possible - even the best schools will try to cram in as many as they think they can get away with
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

miastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Where abouts are you? We are an hour from Sevilla and we meet once a week with 3 Spanish girls (all fluent in English) Who run a language school. We do an hour of Spanish followed by an hour of English conversation, hence there is no money involved!!
I am moving on 1st to Valencina de la concepcion, Sevilla. south west of seville i think.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, an accredited language school (if you can afford it) - but again small groups if at all possible - even the best schools will try to cram in as many as they think they can get away with
They are expensive but better off in the long run

2 months of intensive course = around 1000 euros
5 years of a 1 hour lesson a week = around 2,600 euros

I would expect the person who did the intensive course to have a better level of Spanish than the person who did the one lesson a week for five years
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

I don't know where that is. We are near Ecija.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I would expect the person who did the intensive course to have a better level of Spanish than the person who did the one lesson a week for five years
absolutely

which is why I originally did an intensive course

but not everyone can, or is prepared to, put in that sort of commitment

& some just want enough Spanish to 'survive' - not pass an exam

horses for courses
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Sounds good. I like the idea of an intensive course but a short one to start with to make sure its worth the money for me.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
I don't know where that is. We are near Ecija.
I checked its about 1 hour and 20 mins away. Bit far for me
Old Aug 28th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Never mind it was just a thought, if anyone else is interested let me know!!

Caz
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

anyone doing lessons near estepa ? sevilla?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

fawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nice

Both me and my wife are Spaniards and will be moving to south east England within the next few months. My wife is a psychologist and has some teaching experience but she needs some practice with English, so if you or anyone else is interested we could arrange at least a weekly meeting and practice some conversation. We live in Sevilla, near Triana and would be pleased to show the place around. Of course no money involved.

Last edited by fawinds; Aug 28th 2010 at 11:39 pm.