Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish languages

Spanish languages

Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish languages

I disagree that there are people who cant speak "spanish" as apposed to their regional language,

You can disagree but that does not make you correct, on our small calle alone there are two ladies that become totally confused by Castellano. The problem is that they live in our town, never leave the town and consequently never need Castellano.
I do agree with you that Castellano is the language to learn, but if I only travelled in a radius of say 40 Kms then Valenciano would be far more useful to me.
Graham
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:17 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I disagree that there are people who cant speak "spanish" as apposed to their regional language,

You can disagree but that does not make you correct, on our small calle alone there are two ladies that become totally confused by Castellano. The problem is that they live in our town, never leave the town and consequently never need Castellano.
I do agree with you that Castellano is the language to learn, but if I only travelled in a radius of say 40 Kms then Valenciano would be far more useful to me.
Graham

And you can disagree, but you speaking to 2 women does not make you right either......

I cant believe that anyone who has been through the Spanish eductaion system, cannot speak the national language as opposed to the local one.

If that is the case, the national curriculum is not being met, because it, if it is as you say, it limits the speaker to a radius of a few miles.........thus taking away any opportunities for advancment outside thier neighbourhood.

You are not taking a very wide view, if you are saying that I am wrong after giving the example of 2 women that live in your street.

I would like to know the ages of those women, if they are very old, than the probably nerver learned to read and write, but most people nowadays can,
after being through school.

If you are saying that this is the norm, you are way off the mark.

I am of the opinion that there are more people who speak both languages or only the national language, than only are able to speak their local one beit Valenciano, galego, or whatever.

Because if you are saying that the younger generation are not able to communicate with the rest of Spain, due to only learning local langs, then I am telling you that the vast majority of parents would not allow that to happen.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
And you can disagree, but you speaking to 2 women does not make you right either......

I cant believe that anyone who has been through the Spanish eductaion system, cannot speak the national language as opposed to the local one.

If that is the case, the national curriculum is not being met, because it, if it is as you say, it limits the speaker to a radius of a few miles.........thus taking away any opportunities for advancment outside thier neighbourhood.

You are not taking a very wide view, if you are saying that I am wrong after giving the example of 2 women that live in your street.

I would like to know the ages of those women, if they are very old, than the probably nerver learned to read and write, but most people nowadays can,

I am of the opinion that there are more people who speak both languages or only the national language, than only are able to speak their local one beit Valenciano, galego, or whatever.

Because if you are saying that the younger generation are not able to communicate with the rest of Spain, due to only learning local langs, then I am telling you that the vast majority of parents would not allow that to happen.
I agree with you, the problem was you stating that Valenciano is a dying language and that every Spaniard can speak Castellano. By using the example of two ladies on our small street who cannot speak Castellano logic dictates that within Valencia there must be many more who cannot.
If you read through what I have written you may discover that you are putting your own assumtions on what I in reality stated.
Graham
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:44 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to forget about regional languages, as it has been pointed out, adults dont need to learn unless they are going for "opositions" which I very much doubt.

It seems some worry about the differences in the languages even before they have mastered the one that is spoken all over Spain.

It is not that important. Nobody will expect incomers to learn the local language.

I disagree that there are people who cant speak "spanish" as apposed to their regional language, from my experiance the ones that claim that they can only speak gallego or galego, do so for political reasons, ie they belong to the " bloque". (a political party in galicia)

And usually they have no interest in what goes on in Spain or the rest of the world, they are very narrow minded and probably dont have anything interesting to say anyway.

The following link is what Spanish folk think of regional languages, and it is interesting to see their view.

Chill out, be cool, you will have enough to learn without Valenciano, catalan, galego and the rest of the "padding2 that people think they may need.

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_quot-...il_1333899_s10

I agree with you, the problem was you stating that Valenciano is a dying language and that every Spaniard can speak Castellano. By using the example of two ladies on our small street who cannot speak Castellano logic dictates that within Valencia there must be many more who cannot.
If you read through what I have written you may discover that you are putting your own assumtions on what I in reality stated.
Graham
I never said that Valencia was a dying language, or Galego or any other, they are bieing taught in schools, and are part of the curriculum.

These are the only 2 post I have made on the subject, so if you can point out to where I said it is dying, please do so.

What I did say was for the British not to get bogged down by worrying about local languages, when they need to put all their effort into learning Spansih

So I think you are the one making assumptions. So I would also advise you to read through what I have written, above.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Graham that if you go to smaller villages inland in Valencia province, you will find older folk who don't use Castellano in their lives - I've been to such a place. I doubt the OP will have a problem on the coast or in larger towns, but if they settle in an inland village (especially one that is being de-populated and losing the younger folk) there may be difficulties. Yes, everyone will have had lessons in castellano at some point, and I'd find it difficult to believe there are any young people out there who don't understand Castellano, but it's different for the older population. I was taught French, Latin and German (1 year) at school - but I'm afraid to say I'd find it nearly impossible to follow a conversation in Latin or even French. The German I do know is something I've learnt in recent years.
The point JLFS makes about making sure you're sound in Castellano first is totally correct. It's not a five week process either, so better perhaps to concentrate on that for now.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I agree with Graham that if you go to smaller villages inland in Valencia province, you will find older folk who don't use Castellano in their lives - I've been to such a place. I doubt the OP will have a problem on the coast or in larger towns, but if they settle in an inland village (especially one that is being de-populated and losing the younger folk) there may be difficulties. Yes, everyone will have had lessons in castellano at some point, and I'd find it difficult to believe there are any young people out there who don't understand Castellano, but it's different for the older population. I was taught French, Latin and German (1 year) at school - but I'm afraid to say I'd find it nearly impossible to follow a conversation in Latin or even French. The German I do know is something I've learnt in recent years.
The point JLFS makes about making sure you're sound in Castellano first is totally correct. It's not a five week process either, so better perhaps to concentrate on that for now.
Wow, thanks for that Stevie, that is all I was trying to say, I was looking at the bigger picture, Learn the most useful language, to me is seemed logical and did not need further explanation as to why it was more important, than worrying about what you may never even need.

It beats me why people who dont have a command of the big stuff, ie Spanish, would want to confuse the issue by introducing more and more complications because when you have a good command of Spanish, that is the time to expand and learn local languages, because at least you will have a good foundation to build on.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:58 am

I never said that Valencia was a dying language, or Galego or any other, they are bieing taught in schools, and are part of the curriculum.

These are the only 2 post I have made on the subject, so if you can point out to where I said it is dying, please do so.

What I did say was for the British not to get bogged down by worrying about local languages, when they need to put all their effort into learning Spansih

So I think you are the one making assumptions. So I would also advise you to read through what I have written, above.
Sorry I used the wrong quote, and as I agreed earlier Castellano is the one to learn.
Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 27th 2011 at 11:00 am. Reason: adding extra
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:05 am
Banned

Sorry I used the wrong quote, and as I agreed earlier Castellano is the one to learn.
Graham
I think I have done that a few times in my posting career,
and far from being dying langs. I know that they are being taught more than ever in schools, I cant remember if I was taught Galego in school or not, as I left school at 7 years old, but the kids today have media and other subjects in Galego.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:14 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would solely speak valenciano. The teaching and speaking of it was prohibited under Franco so they must have had to learn castellano somewhere. Perhaps they are having you on.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I find it difficult to believe that anyone would solely speak valenciano. The teaching and speaking of it was prohibited under Franco so they must have had to learn castellano somewhere. Perhaps they are having you on.
or perhaps they simply stopped using castellano when they no longer had to, and have all but forgotten it through lack of use

they likely spoke valenciano at home during the Franco years - which is why the language survived, yet many elderly speakers can't read or write in it

if you in your middle years stopped speaking a language - especially if you chose to & were determined not to, you'd probably forget how to speak it over 30 years later
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The same goes for Galegos, I know for a fact that a few younger people who claim to only speak Galego, are telling porkies.

They seemed to forget Castellano at the same time as their political awarness was increasing...........They are from the Bloque and proud of it.

Also in my experience most younger people who are/were taught it in school, seem to avoid it like the plague, they see it as another useless subject, especially if they have their sights set a bit higher than local civil service jobs.

The majority (once again my personal experience) would rather have more foregin languages classes, ie English, French or German and drop the local language classes.

I am not talking about Valencia, but Galicia, but I presume they are similar, and if our own families are not a good cross section of the population, I dont know what is.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
or perhaps they simply stopped using castellano when they no longer had to, and have all but forgotten it through lack of use

they likely spoke valenciano at home during the Franco years - which is why the language survived, yet many elderly speakers can't read or write in it

if you in your middle years stopped speaking a language - especially if you chose to & were determined not to, you'd probably forget how to speak it over 30 years later
I think that is it, if you are determind not to speak Castellano, but then again, these people must never watch TV, only the local channel, or read national press.

It would be easier to forget your first language if you move to a foreign country, and are not exposed to it in any way.

which is not the case if you live in Valencia, or Galicia,to me only speaking the local language in a lot of cases is the equivalent to the wearing of the Burkha.
Making a statement.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is it, if you are determind not to speak Castellano, but then again, these people must never watch TV, only the local channel, or read national press.

It would be easier to forget your first language if you move to a foreign country, and are not exposed to it in any way.

which is not the case if you live in Valencia, or Galicia,to me only speaking the local language in a lot of cases is the equivalent to the wearing of the Burkha.
Making a statement.
yes, you're right, much easier in a foreign country - or perhaps in a tiny village, where they very well might only watch local tele & buy the local language paper

I hear tell of an English guy in a village near me, who years ago when he first came here got a job in a boatyard

he couldn't speak spanish when he started there, and rarely left the village

all his workmates spoke valenciano to each other, so that is the language he learned

apparently he didn't even realise it wasn't 'spanish' until he went away on holiday to a different area after a few years

local legend has it that he never did learn to speak spanish
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Making a statement.

In many cases people who live just outside cities speak galego and many people within speak castrapo and they are most certainly not making a statement. The younger generation who live in the cities may be making a statement.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:31 pm

Both of the young ladies that I help say that they think in Valenciano so when trying to say something in English they start with Valenciano, translate into Castellano and then into English. I find that they both seem to have worked out exactly what they want to say to me before they arrive so if I throw a spanner in the works by asking them something they flounder. Their thought through conversation sounds reasonably good but when thrown in the deep end they are a bit lost. My role is to give them the opportunity to practice speaking in English but I often find that I have to provide them with the English words when they lapse into Castellano.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.