Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish language taking over, English language dying out???

Spanish language taking over, English language dying out???

Old May 3rd 2012, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice
Default Spanish language taking over, English language dying out???

Those of you with kids, do you worry about your child's english reading/writing skills suffering since they now do everything in spanish?

In our house, spanish is taking over and english is dying out. I am the only person my daughter speaks to in english! She spends all day in school speaking spanish, then goes to the park with her spanish friends, and has an hour to speak english with me before bed. Even at the weekends we are with our spanish friends and speak only spanish. Her english reading and writing is really suffering, while her spanish reading and writing is at that of an 8yr old native's level (she's just turned 6).

At the start of her school year, her teacher told me to make sure she reads only in spanish and watches tv in spanish as she came here with absolutely no spanish. But now im finding that I have to do the opposite! Anyone else have experience in this?
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:49 am
Just Joined

gleni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish language taking over, English language dying out???

Hi

We are hoping to relocate to Mallorca in July next year and have a daughter aged 6 and a son aged 10. They are both doing really well at school here in the UK so I share your worry that as they are young and likely to pick up the language really well, their English will suffer and it will undo all the good work done at school prior to relocating.

Do you plan to stay in Spain long term? If so, and your daughter is advanced in her learning there then that should be a good thing right? I understand your worry if you wish to return to the UK though. That is my fear, that we go, and then want to return. Do you see a future for them in Spain?

My friend who is French and lives in the UK here has the same problem. Everyone speaks to her kids in English so she always talks to her kids in French, even in front of me, which is off putting sometimes but I understand. I feel very proud of her kids for her, speaking both languages fluently. I really am pleased for you that your daughter is doing so well with her Spanish. If you plan to return to the UK I would get a one to one tutor to polish up her English grammar (if finances allow). Sometimes not that easy though eh.

Anyway, am new to this forum and just wanted to share your thread as a worried Mum also.

gleni

In our house, spanish is taking over and english is dying out. I am the only person my daughter speaks to in english! She spends all day in school speaking spanish, then goes to the park with her spanish friends, and has an hour to speak english with me before bed. Even at the weekends we are with our spanish friends and speak only spanish. Her english reading and writing is really suffering, while her spanish reading and writing is at that of an 8yr old native's level (she's just turned 6).

At the start of her school year, her teacher told me to make sure she reads only in spanish and watches tv in spanish as she came here with absolutely no spanish. But now im finding that I have to do the opposite! Anyone else have experience in this? [/QUOTE]
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt worry too much

The most important thing is that your child reaches a high level of education. Its better that it will be in Spanish if you plan to stay in Spain. They "should" have a high interest in English given their links to England so they can catch up in that later on - if they want to.

You might want to plan some visits back to England during the summer holidays e.g. staying with family or going to summer camps. This is what we are planning to do in a few years time so our little boy gets to experience something of the UK and can practice his English. He is still very young though
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

[QUOTE=gleni;10039099]Hi

We are hoping to relocate to Mallorca in July next year and have a daughter aged 6 and a son aged 10. They are both doing really well at school here in the UK so I share your worry that as they are young and likely to pick up the language really well, their English will suffer and it will undo all the good work done at school prior to relocating.

Do you plan to stay in Spain long term? If so, and your daughter is advanced in her learning there then that should be a good thing right? I understand your worry if you wish to return to the UK though. That is my fear, that we go, and then want to return. Do you see a future for them in Spain?

My friend who is French and lives in the UK here has the same problem. Everyone speaks to her kids in English so she always talks to her kids in French, even in front of me, which is off putting sometimes but I understand. I feel very proud of her kids for her, speaking both languages fluently. I really am pleased for you that your daughter is doing so well with her Spanish. If you plan to return to the UK I would get a one to one tutor to polish up her English grammar (if finances allow). Sometimes not that easy though eh.

Anyway, am new to this forum and just wanted to share your thread as a worried Mum also.

gleni

Hi Gleni,

yes we are planning to stay here long term. I don't think i would have put my daughter in a state school if i thought there was a possibility of us returning as if that happened, she would be completely lost returning to the Irish school curriculum (we are from Ireland). I plan for her to go to university here like all her friends will be.

She was 5 when we moved here and though it took time, she is now fully fluent. Im sure your 6yr old will not have a problem, though your 10yr old may find it tougher. I know that the cut off age for a foreigner to become as fluent as a native is around 5/6yrs old so luckily we moved right on time. Though i know many 7/8yr olds who picked it up just as easy.

I am glad that her spanish is very advanced, it's just important for me that her english doesnt suffer. I know a few people who have moved here at the same age as my daughter and now can barely write or read in english, but are naturals in spanish. Thats what i dont want!

But obviously if i had to choose which language she would excell in, it would be spanish since thats what her future will include.

Good luck with the move!
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
I wouldnt worry too much

The most important thing is that your child reaches a high level of education. Its better that it will be in Spanish if you plan to stay in Spain. They "should" have a high interest in English given their links to England so they can catch up in that later on - if they want to.

You might want to plan some visits back to England during the summer holidays e.g. staying with family or going to summer camps. This is what we are planning to do in a few years time so our little boy gets to experience something of the UK and can practice his English. He is still very young though
Thanks for the advice cricketman, i agree. Spanish is definitely more important for her so I am glad she is doing so well with it (considering she has only been in school since October!)

How old is your boy? And is he in a similar situation?
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixieve
Those of you with kids, do you worry about your child's english reading/writing skills suffering since they now do everything in spanish?

At the start of her school year, her teacher told me to make sure she reads only in spanish and watches tv in spanish as she came here with absolutely no spanish. But now im finding that I have to do the opposite! Anyone else have experience in this?
yep - that's the way it goes.....

for the first few years maybe you make sure eveything is in Spanish & eventually you realise that their English spelling at least is suffering - that's the time to maybe 'encourage' her a bit more to read & write in English - although it doesn't always suffer - my 2 girls spell in english at least as well as their aussie cousins (although that might say more about education in OZ than about my dds' spelling )

your child will never forget how to speak English as long as you continue to do so at home - but if you want her to be truly bi-lingual all you need to do is leave magazines & books in English & Spanish lying around & encourage her to read/watch TV/videos / use the internet in whatever language she fancies
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixieve

How old is your boy? And is he in a similar situation?
Oh very young, only 7 months

We are bilingual at home as my OH is Spanish and we speak both depending on the circumstances

Its very early but it seems like he is more atent to Spanish at the moment, and his first sounds all have the Spanish vowel sounds Papá, mamá, babá etc.

My parents are worried that he wont speak English very well as he grows up, but I think he'll be fine. I have nephews who are fluent in Spanish, Catalan and Swedish (the fathers language) at 4 years old and they haven't made any special provisions.
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:15 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

To be fluent in as many languages as possible is a huge advantage for any child. Particularly English, since it's spoken almost everywhere. Fluent Spanish will always be a positive.

We know people who speak 7 languages fluently. I wish I could do that!
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yep - that's the way it goes.....

for the first few years maybe you make sure eveything is in Spanish & eventually you realise that their English spelling at least is suffering - that's the time to maybe 'encourage' her a bit more to read & write in English - although it doesn't always suffer - my 2 girls spell in english at least as well as their aussie cousins (although that might say more about education in OZ than about my dds' spelling )

your child will never forget how to speak English as long as you continue to do so at home - but if you want her to be truly bi-lingual all you need to do is leave magazines & books in English & Spanish lying around & encourage her to read/watch TV/videos / use the internet in whatever language she fancies
Thanks for the advice Lynnxa! It's the spelling thats the biggest problem...she reads quite well in english, just not as well as spanish. Though she is only 6 so maybe i need to relax a bit Speaking english is not an issue as the child neevr shuts up

Originally Posted by cricketman
Oh very young, only 7 months

We are bilingual at home as my OH is Spanish and we speak both depending on the circumstances

Its very early but it seems like he is more atent to Spanish at the moment, and his first sounds all have the Spanish vowel sounds Papá, mamá, babá etc.

My parents are worried that he wont speak English very well as he grows up, but I think he'll be fine. I have nephews who are fluent in Spanish, Catalan and Swedish (the fathers language) at 4 years old and they haven't made any special provisions.
ah ok, so no worries yet then!! You have a great advantage having a spanish OH! I'm sure your son will grow up speaking both perfectly. My friend is english, married to a spaniard...and their 3yr old speaks perfect in both languages with no effort! Though on saying that I have another friend, married to a spanish woman, and their children refuse to speak any english and only talk in spanish!
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amideislas
To be fluent in as many languages as possible is a huge advantage for any child. Particularly English, since it's spoken almost everywhere. Fluent Spanish will always be a positive.

We know people who speak 7 languages fluently. I wish I could do that!
wow, 7???? And here I am struggling with 2!!!
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

gleni is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pixieve,Cricketman, Lynxxa!

It really does seem from what you say that its a matter of going with the flow and encouraging the use of English language when appropriate. Good idea re their fave mags etc.

By the sounds of things a state school would suit my 6/7 year old girl.

However, I have been advised that as my son will be 11 yrs when we make the move, he should go to an International school. My gut feeling though is he should go to a state school aswell as my daughter to learn Catalan quicker (he will be learning here for a year prior to relocating so will only really have the basics). It will be his year 7 (when the kids here start senior school).

Any recommendations out there for Mallorca? I would really rather he had some English speaking friends at school if he went to a state school. I am worried to hear that alot of the English kids are bullied. Any recommendations of schools would be really appreciated as I need to get on and register. I am off there twice in July to have a reckie. I can check them out then.

gleni
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gleni
Thanks Pixieve,Cricketman, Lynxxa!

It really does seem from what you say that its a matter of going with the flow and encouraging the use of English language when appropriate. Good idea re their fave mags etc.

By the sounds of things a state school would suit my 6/7 year old girl.

However, I have been advised that as my son will be 11 yrs when we make the move, he should go to an International school. My gut feeling though is he should go to a state school aswell as my daughter to learn Catalan quicker (he will be learning here for a year prior to relocating so will only really have the basics). It will be his year 7 (when the kids here start senior school).

Any recommendations out there for Mallorca? I would really rather he had some English speaking friends at school if he went to a state school. I am worried to hear that alot of the English kids are bullied. Any recommendations of schools would be really appreciated as I need to get on and register. I am off there twice in July to have a reckie. I can check them out then.

gleni
at 11 he'll struggle in state school, but you could maybe try it for a term to see how he gets on, at that age he won't miss too much if it doesn't - I know kids who have succeeded starting older than that, & conversely others who have been in state school since the age of 6 who still don't really speak spanish (though their parents think they do ) & will always struggle
Old May 5th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Its common for children to pick up the native language faster than the adults. From my own experience some of the boys and girls from the Philippines who came to the UK and nursed improved their English skills but...their children who went to local Schools picked up English (and Welsh) very quickly and English became the primary home language as the children became truly fluent.
Old May 6th 2012, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Its common for children to pick up the native language faster than the adults. From my own experience some of the boys and girls from the Philippines who came to the UK and nursed improved their English skills but...their children who went to local Schools picked up English (and Welsh) very quickly and English became the primary home language as the children became truly fluent.
Sure, but those children from the Philippines werent surrounded by everything in their own language every day

That is the challenge faced by British children in the expat areas. Their parents, the TV, the radio, even the bars and shops they may go to speak English, so the only chance they get to speak and hear Spanish is at school

Obviously this depends on the choices the parents (and later the children) make. It is entirely possible to hardly ever hear a word of English in the same areas
Old May 6th 2012, 3:58 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

well the Spanish language has taken over in our house this evening

dd2 has a test tomorrow - she has to name all the 19 tenses (including imperativo) & know all 6 conjugations of each

she can actually recite & use them all, simply becuase she uses them all the time - it's naming them she (& her classmates) have trouble with

but that's how she'll be tested - the teacher will say something like 'subjuntivo pretérito pluscuamperfecto' & they're expected to recite it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.