Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Spanish know how to celebrate!!

The Spanish know how to celebrate!!

Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Spanish know how to celebrate!!

Well, I know this is about football, which isn't strictly allowed on this part of the forum, but maybe the Mods will indulge me just this once

I've spent the evening in our village bar, watching Real Madrid win La Liga (although at half time it looked like a distinct impossibility! )

I won't bore all you non-football people with the details of the match, but what I really wanted to share was the fantastic atmosphere and the ensuing celebrations.
The majority of people here support Real Madrid, but there are also several Barcelona fans too. The banter going backwards and forwards was never antaganostic, there were no fights, there was no swearing directed at any individuals - and fans of both teams sat together.
Children as young as 3 were amongst the crowd, the noise was incredible, the car horns were being sounded out in the Plaza and everyone was having a good time

Once Madrid had won the league, the champagne was flowing (all over everyone, the floor and the ceiling! )
Everyone was singing, shaking hands, exchanging hugs............and the Barcelona fans were cheerfully patted on the back without insult.
The scenes on the television were also incredible: fireworks, and a show of almost Olympic proportions on the pitch! I watched for at least half an hour after the match had finished, and the trophy still hadn't been presented!
It was all certainly done in great style.

Several car loads of people set off from our village, to drive through the next one in celebration. Within 10 minutes, the neighbouring villagers were reciprocating with a convoy of vans, cars, trucks, trailers and farm vehicles parading around our village Plaza; horns blaring, flags and banners waving and people jumping in the fountain!!

I know it's only football, and there are far more important things in the world - but I just thought it was a really good example of how Spanish people can enjoy themselves without there being lots of trouble.
Admittedly the Real Madrid fans here are the majority, but there was certainly no animosity evident in our little corner of the country.

It's been a great night!

PS Hey Eve! Was there any way you could watch the match? I hope so! Bet you wish you'd been in Competa tonight, eh!?

Last edited by brisca; Jun 17th 2007 at 11:28 am. Reason: Forgot to add PS!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Spanish know how to celebrate!!

so that's what all the noise was!!

didn't think it could be cos Alonso got beaten again
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I had the misfortune to arrive in Mallorca for the first time on the very night, many moons ago, that they won La Liga. We had no choice but to sit and watch the THOUSANDS of cars roar up and down the main road beeping, screaming, and speeding, with people singing out of every window.

It finally ended at about 6am!!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:52 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brisca
Well, I know this is about football, which isn't strictly allowed on this part of the forum, but maybe the Mods will indulge me just this once

I've spent the evening in our village bar, watching Real Madrid win La Liga (although at half time it looked like a distinct impossibility! )

I won't bore all you non-football people with the details of the match, but what I really wanted to share was the fantastic atmosphere and the ensuing celebrations.
The majority of people here support Real Madrid, but there are also several Barcelona fans too. The banter going backwards and forwards was never antaganostic, there were no fights, there was no swearing directed at any individuals - and fans of both teams sat together.
Children as young as 3 were amongst the crowd, the noise was incredible, the car horns were being sounded out in the Plaza and everyone was having a good time

Once Madrid had won the league, the champagne was flowing (all over everyone, the floor and the ceiling! )
Everyone was singing, shaking hands, exchanging hugs............and the Barcelona fans were cheerfully patted on the back without insult.
The scenes on the television were also incredible: fireworks, and a show of almost Olympic proportions on the pitch! I watched for at least half an hour after the match had finished, and the trophy still hadn't been presented!
It was all certainly done in great style.

Several car loads of people set off from our village, to drive through the next one in celebration. Within 10 minutes, the neighbouring villagers were reciprocating with a convoy of vans, cars, trucks, trailers and farm vehicles parading around our village Plaza; horns blaring, flags and banners waving and people jumping in the fountain!!

I know it's only football, and there are far more important things in the world - but I just thought it was a really good example of how Spanish people can enjoy themselves without there being lots of trouble.
Admittedly the Real Madrid fans here are the majority, but there was certainly no animosity evident in our little corner of the country.

It's been a great night!

PS Hey Eve! Was there any way you could watch the match? I hope so! Bet you wish you'd been in Competa tonight, eh!?
Not much of that here last night. Drowning our sorrows...
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was here in the middle of the last european championships and we used to go down to a Spanish Bar in the town. The atmosphere was fantastic. There were people of all nationalities and teams in there for matches and never any trouble

I liked watching matches in pubs in the UK....... in Spain it can be even better
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I was here in the middle of the last european championships and we used to go down to a Spanish Bar in the town. The atmosphere was fantastic. There were people of all nationalities and teams in there for matches and never any trouble

I liked watching matches in pubs in the UK....... in Spain it can be even better
Thats the only thing that worries me, watching rugby in a pub is the best thing next to being at the match, what am I gonna do eh??
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:11 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

ah that explains all the fireworks last night.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
ah that explains all the fireworks last night.
Is there a night in Jesus Pobre that they don't let off fireworks?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:21 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

I'm reading that there were a lot of injuries and the security forces were called in to the plaza de cibeles to break up trouble.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:29 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Over 30 arrests in Madrid and over 100 people injured. Also 20 odd in Alicante. Maybe where football is concerned there are more and more similarities.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/depor...lpepudep_5/Tes
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:31 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
do'ya think so what if it's the world cup final and Spain V England and you're the only English person in the pub
and Spain win win win and start chanting campiones, campiones oh la oh la oh la.....and all you want to do is rip your hair out. Then will it be better....?????
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lochy

Over 30 arrests in Madrid and over 100 people injured. Also 20 odd in Alicante. Maybe where football is concerned there are more and more similarities.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/depor...lpepudep_5/Tes
yeah and when the Spanish police turn on English fans for nothing!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:32 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
do'ya think so what if it's the world cup final and Spain V England and you're the only English person in the pub
and Spain win win win and start chanting campiones, campiones oh la oh la oh la.....and all you want to do is rip your hair out. Then will it be better....?????
what hair??
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
what hair??
his ponytail....
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:34 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
I'm used to watching England lose .... anywhere. I watched Holland beat England in a German Bar in Oliva. I watched Germany beat england 1999 ish in a bar in Hong Hong full of Germans.
Losing to Spain on Spanish soil .... old hat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.