Spanish jamon

Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish jamon

Further to the discussion on meat eating in Spain I have developed a liking for jamon serrano/iberico.

I dont mind the look of them because they look fabricated and somewhat unreal but I know they are everywhere and can smell a bit.

The stronger the taste in the meat I love but I guess this makes the cost more,yes?

I dont like it too waxy and I dont like the fat too greasy to the touch.

so much choice and never know what to buy.

Any jamon experts?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish jamon

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Further to the discussion on meat eating in Spain I have developed a liking for jamon serrano/iberico.

I dont mind the look of them because they look fabricated and somewhat unreal but I know they are everywhere and can smell a bit.

The stronger the taste in the meat I love but I guess this makes the cost more,yes?

Any jamon experts?
They sell various brands of jambon serrano in our supermarket in France, also jambon de Bayonne, jambon d'Aoste.....
You just try them all and decide which one you prefer.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:43 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

I like jamon de hembra - they sell it in packs in Mercadona. Otherwise I have a taste of what they´re carving and make my decision from that.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Any jamon experts?
I can tell you a little about jamon if you like (without any googling!). Jamon serrano is the "smoked" Spanish ham and varies anywhere between a sandwich staple to a delicacy.

Jamon serrano is the bog standard, I would only eat this in a bocadillo con queso.

Then you have the jamon which you can eat on its own, maybe with a few olives or a glass or wine. In classes it goes something like this:

- jamon serrano (cheapest - £2 per 100g)
- jamon iberico de cebo (fed with cereals)
- jamon iberico de recebo (fed with acrorns, then with cereals)
- jamon iberico de bellota (most expensive - Up to £40 per 100g) (fed only with acorns)

Jamon iberico is from the black Iberian pigs that live free range. The fat from jamon bellota is actually good for humans as it contains all the good fats from the acorns.

I have to tell you that the higher the fat content, the better quality of the jamon! As it is the fat that gives the jamon the flavour. Good jamon should have the white fat layered throughout the meat. When cut the jamon should be almost transparent, that way it will melt on the tongue.

I have had good jamon iberico from all 3 classes. I'd say the way the jamon looks and the way the jamon is cut is more important than the price, although of course jamon that looks good may be more expensive.

There are 5 denomitations of jamon iberico. i.e. 5 places in Spain that are famous for jamon and so produce the best jamons - Jabugo (Huelva), Trevelez (Granada), Guijuelo (Salamanca) and 2 others I cant remember :0

Another rason why a jamon is spoiled is that it is too salty. The jamon ibericos have more quality checks than the others so you're more likely to get a good one here. The jamon is made in batches a little like wine, so sometimes a bad batch turns up.

The best thing to do is to go to the counter where they cut the jamon and buy one of the small vaccum sealed packs that have jamon that has been cut the same day. Choose the one you like the look of and take it back home to try. These packs will cost between 5-20 euros. Once you get one you really like then you can buy a whole leg if you like.

However, I would recommend you go on a cutting course. Badly cut jamon will spoil it, it has to be as thin as possible so transparent.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cricketman
I can tell you a little about jamon if you like (without any googling!). Jamon serrano is the "smoked" Spanish ham and varies anywhere between a sandwich staple to a delicacy.

Jamon serrano is the bog standard, I would only eat this in a bocadillo con queso.

Then you have the jamon which you can eat on its own, maybe with a few olives or a glass or wine. In classes it goes something like this:

- jamon iberico de bellota (most expensive - Up to £40 per 100g) (fed only with acorns)

Jamon iberico is from the black Iberian pigs that live free range. The fat from jamon bellota is actually good for humans as it contains all the good fats from the acorns.

I have to tell you that the higher the fat content, the better quality of the jamon! As it is the fat that gives the jamon the flavour. Good jamon should have the white fat layered throughout the meat. When cut the jamon should be almost transparent, that way it will melt on the tongue.

I have had good jamon iberico from all 3 classes. I'd say the way the jamon looks and the way the jamon is cut is more important than the price, although of course jamon that looks good may be more expensive.

There are 5 denomitations of jamon iberico. i.e. 5 places in Spain that are famous for jamon and so produce the best jamons - Jabugo (Huelva), Trevelez (Granada), Guijuelo (Salamanca) and 2 others I cant remember :0

Another rason why a jamon is spoiled is that it is too salty. The jamon ibericos have more quality checks than the others so you're more likely to get a good one here. The jamon is made in batches a little like wine, so sometimes a bad batch turns up.

The best thing to do is to go to the counter where they cut the jamon and buy one of the small vaccum sealed packs that have jamon that has been cut the same day. Choose the one you like the look of and take it back home to try. These packs will cost between 5-20 euros. Once you get one you really like then you can buy a whole leg if you like.

However, I would recommend you go on a cutting course. Badly cut jamon will spoil it, it has to be as thin as possible so transparent.

Hope that helps!
what about seron??? if you go to seron,you can buy their famous and delicious hams directly from the producers,and cut out the middle-man. they vary in price according to grade and smoking time,but a good one should not set you back more than about 60 euros. you can buy cheaper ones of course.
the ham producers in seron love to show customers around the smoking areas etc. and you will be made welcome.(i don't have any connection with any business in seron,therefore will not be getting any backhamders(get it??) for this reply!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Hope that helps!
Great info.

I shall be following it up.

its the price that stops me experimenting more.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Great info.

I shall be following it up.

its the price that stops me experimenting more.
Yes it can be very expensive, but for 5 euros you can get one of those packs with really nice jamon. Plus you can only eat so much of it! Good luck!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:15 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
what about seron??? if you go to seron,you can buy their famous and delicious hams directly from the producers,and cut out the middle-man. they vary in price according to grade and smoking time,but a good one should not set you back more than about 60 euros. you can buy cheaper ones of course.
the ham producers in seron love to show customers around the smoking areas etc. and you will be made welcome.(i don't have any connection with any business in seron,therefore will not be getting any backhamders(get it??) for this reply!!
Not yet seen them showing ppl.around the factory farms where the vast majority of Jamon Serrano originates.
Strangely, unlike in N.Europe, no one seems greatly interested,.........unless of course its Jamon Iberica, which is a totally different story, and always well worth a mention.
Having said that I must confess to not losing much sleep over it myself, and quite enjoy liberally stuffing myself with both varieties.......
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;8229518]Not yet seen them showing ppl.around the factory farms where the vast majority of Jamon Serrano originates.
Strangely, unlike in N.Europe, no one seems greatly interested [QUOTE]

Think you're being a bit optimistic about the sensibility of N.Europeans here

Where do you think most the British and Danish bacon comes from?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
they vary in price according to grade and smoking time
Normal Spanish hams are never smoked, they are air dried. The longer the time they are dried, the more water comes out and the finer the ham hence the final price.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Can't claim to be an expert like you, but I was always under the impression that plain "jamón serrano" was not smoked, simply salted, washed, and air dried in secaderos. You can indeed get smoked serrano ham, but unless it says "ahumado" (an additional process) I don't think you'll find it has been smoked.

Edit. Just seen Fred's post, he writes faster than me! Beat me by a few minutes! At least we agree, not smoked!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:50 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

If you ever get to Andalucia then you must visit the Casa Museo del Jamon in Rute. It is very interesting full of equipment (axes etc) and on the way out there is a shop with a mountain of hams hanging for you to purchase. The only thing we did not understand is we were limited to what we bought (weight wise - just a few hundred grms).

There is also a chocolate factory there who give you free tours through the chocolate museum and then through the chocolate factory.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:11 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely love the stuff! We were buying packs of it every other day but decided to buy a full one last month which was cheaper to do in the long run due to the amount we eat. Also an ideal time to buy as it recently said on the news about they have over produced because due to the crisis people are not buying as often so they are at a very good price now. We paid 60E for jamon iberico de recebo weighing in at 6.5K and .5K of salchichon and .5k of chorizo included. Will be buying another this weekend. yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Any jamon experts?
You should have much care, because the true Iberian ham of acorn, " pata negra " is a different ham of the other ones (ham of Teruel; ham Serrano etc etc etc). And it is expensive. That nobody deceive to you, there are many types of hams. But " pata negra " is distinguished for its flavor and the color of its bacon, that it is of a yellowish tone. It is very soft to the palate, practically is undone in the mouth. This ham is of the autochthonous pigs of Spain, the Iberian pig. It is a small pig, dark, outdoors. Usually eats wild acorns

You inform better if you want a true " pata negra "

Last edited by Relampago; Jan 8th 2010 at 10:08 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;8229527][QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;8229518]Not yet seen them showing ppl.around the factory farms where the vast majority of Jamon Serrano originates.
Strangely, unlike in N.Europe, no one seems greatly interested

Think you're being a bit optimistic about the sensibility of N.Europeans here

Where do you think most the British and Danish bacon comes from?
There is a big increase in the number of pigs kept in more humane conditions in N.Europe, as per the latest EU directive,the Danes naturally being the last to come into line in a year or two.
Don't know exactly whats happening in this respect with regard to the Spanish.
However it never ceases to amaze me how they often travel all the way up the mountains for a day out or even a short holiday, especially to stock up with Serrano from a popular outlet or bodega,yet don't appear to give a thought to popping just another 2 or 3 km along the road to see them being bred and fattened up.
Not really a pretty sight,...however having spent some time in Extremadura it is a pleasure to see their more fortunate relations being raised in a much more pleasant environment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.