British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish Ikea Credit Card for UK resident. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-ikea-credit-card-uk-resident-933986/)

Handbag Jul 26th 2020 10:42 pm

Spanish Ikea Credit Card for UK resident.

I am a UK resident. I do have a property in Spain, as well as an NIE number and a bank account. Does anyone know if you need to be a Spanish Resident to get or am I able to get one. I have tried applying online, but didn't get very far as don't have Spanish tel. no. so, it stopped me from continuing.

Joppa Jul 27th 2020 12:55 am

Re: Spanish Ikea Credit Card for UK resident.

I don't know any specifics about that credit card, but generally speaking it will be difficult to take out a credit card in the country where you have no credit record, as credit check will be part of the application process. No business will want to extend credit facilities (i.e. lending money) if they aren't reasonably sure that it will be repaid.

Handbag Jul 27th 2020 4:36 am

Thank you. have had a Spanish bank account go 20 years and pay utilities and tax so I do have some credit history. Not sure if this is enough.

Hopefully there will be someone who has tried to get one and has a definite answer.

Notdunroamin Jul 27th 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Handbag (Post 12887827)
I am a UK resident. I do have a property in Spain, as well as an NIE number and a bank account. Does anyone know if you need to be a Spanish Resident to get or am I able to get one. I have tried applying online, but didn't get very far as don't have Spanish tel. no. so, it stopped me from continuing.

Before you get too excited I'd check out the T&C's for the card.

Unlike UK credit cards you'll likely find that it's more of a charge card which has to be cleared either each month or over a very short period.

FWIW it's not necessarily about credit history.

I'm resident and obtained that within about 2 months of arrival, nevertheless when I changed my bank account (Caxia) from non resident to resident without even asking I was offered a credit card with a €3000 limit.

Initially I refused it but when it was explained that it was a charge card and was free I took it simply as a potential source of additional instant funds in an emergency.

​​​​​If a need arose then the app on my phone allows me to spend both from my current A/C and the card.

Handbag Jul 27th 2020 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12887958)

Unlike UK credit cards you'll likely find that it's more of a charge card which has to be cleared either each month or over a very short period.

FWIW it's not necessarily about credit history.

I'm resident and obtained that within about 2 months of arrival, nevertheless when I changed my bank account (Caxia) from non resident to resident without even asking I was offered a credit card with a €3000 limit.

Initially I refused it but when it was explained that it was a charge card and was free I took it simply as a potential source of additional instant funds in an emergency.

​​​​​If a need arose then the app on my phone allows me to spend both from my current A/C and the card.

Thank you. The reason for specifically wanting an Ikea card is that they are offering interest free credit for 12/24 months. I am trying to sell my property in Spain and have already purchased another that I am doing a lot of work on. Rather than having a lot of money in Spain, I could use to finance my kitchen, wardrobes etc in my new property and pay off as soon as property is sold. I normally always pay off credit cards each month, but as we are about to place a massive order with Ikea, this would be useful.

christmasoompa Jul 27th 2020 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Handbag (Post 12888007)
Thank you. The reason for specifically wanting an Ikea card is that they are offering interest free credit for 12/24 months. I am trying to sell my property in Spain and have already purchased another that I am doing a lot of work on. Rather than having a lot of money in Spain, I could use to finance my kitchen, wardrobes etc in my new property and pay off as soon as property is sold. I normally always pay off credit cards each month, but as we are about to place a massive order with Ikea, this would be useful.

There are so many credit cards in the UK offering 0% interest deals, could you not just get one of them?

breakfasttea Jul 27th 2020 11:46 am

Sabadell, BBVA and Bankia gave me credit cards the moment I requested to open an account both at values of 3,500, with an OD facility of 1,500 on each account. Depends on your paperwork, p60 and the bank.

Unless you have Full legal residency, they won’t grant you an IKEA card - being with CAIXA helps as they’re the ones doing the finance. Even if you’re an autónomo they need to see paperwork of declaración de renta or a trimestral.

Caixa refused to give me a credit card as they’re not an international bank unlike Bankia, BBCA and Sabadell (I think Bankia just has a better friendlier banking code as I don’t think they’re international?).

I meant to reapply as hoping to buy a new house and it needs furnishing and we love IKEA 👍🏼

good luck!

jonboy Jul 27th 2020 8:48 pm

Some of us are still adjusting to the loss of Ingvar. Since he departed the restaurants have reduced the number of offerings and there is a sense that the penny pinchers have taken over.

bfg69bug Jul 30th 2020 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12887958)

Unlike UK credit cards you'll likely find that it's more of a charge card which has to be cleared either each month or over a very short period..

Exactly what I was about to say - credit cards (as we know them) dont exist in spain, they are just debit cards.

Fred James Jul 30th 2020 9:46 am

Not strictly true. A debit card transaction is immediately charged to your bank account. A credit card accumulates a balance from all the transactions and your account is debited with the total amount as one debit once a momth - so its a short term credit card with no option to spread the payments.

bfg69bug Jul 30th 2020 9:54 am

ahh ok - that makes more sense Fred.

I suppose that it makes sense.. as long as you can cover the payment at the end of the month. Its like paying by card and paying it off in one "lump" after you get paid.