Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish hunters in the campo

Spanish hunters in the campo

Old Mar 14th 2022, 8:28 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 545
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish hunters in the campo

When I had a look around my land I found a shotgun cartridge. My partners father had to tell someone to get lost who just came onto our lane and started taking pot shots at the small birds. Is this normal out in the campo? I’ve heard this is a tradition and sparrows and smaller birds are a Spanish delicacy. Can’t believe people just rock up onto your land with a firearm though. I don’t want my dogs getting shot if they take an unliking to random people with guns coming across the land.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2022, 11:41 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,573
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

I found your thread in the general Europe section so moved it to Spain for you.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 7:09 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 437
Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

The problem can often be out in the campo that there are no fences or way to determine whose land they are on. At least there isn't where I am. I do know there is a limit as to how close they are allowed to get to a residence, I think 300m(?) but not sure. I get them cutting across my land after the rabbits and sometimes get pretty close as there is a hill to my rear which they like to go to the top of. This is closer than 300m and we often have to "remind" them they are too close.
Round our way there is little we can do to stop them cutting/walking across and as they've been doing it for donkey's years, we tend to accept it, it's not often anyway. We don't have dogs but their dogs will come quite close to the house even if the hunters are a long way off.
Mark604 is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 9:24 am
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

Originally Posted by Mark604 View Post
The problem can often be out in the campo that there are no fences or way to determine whose land they are on. At least there isn't where I am. I do know there is a limit as to how close they are allowed to get to a residence, I think 300m(?) but not sure. I get them cutting across my land after the rabbits and sometimes get pretty close as there is a hill to my rear which they like to go to the top of. This is closer than 300m and we often have to "remind" them they are too close.
Round our way there is little we can do to stop them cutting/walking across and as they've been doing it for donkey's years, we tend to accept it, it's not often anyway. We don't have dogs but their dogs will come quite close to the house even if the hunters are a long way off.
Why don't you put up a fence around your land?

Do they have a right of way ir something?
agree_to_disagree is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 10:21 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 437
Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

My land is quite large enough, 20 hectares. It is not flat as it is mainly a large hill poking out of the olive groves. Nothing is grown on it because it is too rocky. We do though have a dozen olive trees. Trying to put a fence around it, which you never see amongst the olive groves anyway, would be prohibitively expensive just to stop the odd hunter walking over it. It would alienate the neighbours who have land around us - our house is separate by at least a kilometre from the next house and the other landowners live in the nearest village or town. It would mark us out as foreigners as would anything that goes against the norms and would hinder our hard won integration with them.

They can have a few rabbits as they tend to eat our plants anyway and as for right of way, who knows. Hunters have been there probably ever since gunpowder was invented and it is common for me and my family and anyone else to walk through the groves to short cut the long curvy walk along the road or anywhere else.
Would I prosecute someone for walking over our hill? Absolutely not. Quickest way to be sent to Coventry and shunned everywhere local we went.
The only way you know who owns what land is, in fact you don't. There are commonly no marked borders, maybe a track here and there, but that's not conclusive and as everyone knows whose land is what, there is no point.

Our neighbour collects our olives and in payment to us we get a couple of bottles of oil from him after the pressing. That's good enough for us. An old guy from the village comes and collects the almonds from a few trees we have. He's happy and we're happy. They'd only go to waste as with the olives. We have two fig trees, it's a free for all when they are ripe as they don't all ripen at the same time. There's too many for us and whoever wants to get a few in passing or when working in the fields, they can. No problem. It's the norm.
Down in the bottom of our valley a man has some fruit trees. He only stipulates you ask him first but he never refuses.
The village and town houses have clearly defined borders, walls, fences etc, as you'd expect. In the campo? It's not a thing at all.
Would we fence off our land? Never.
Mark604 is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 1:33 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
philat98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Central Italy
Posts: 2,878
philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

Originally Posted by Stingychips View Post
When I had a look around my land I found a shotgun cartridge. My partners father had to tell someone to get lost who just came onto our lane and started taking pot shots at the small birds. Is this normal out in the campo? I’ve heard this is a tradition and sparrows and smaller birds are a Spanish delicacy. Can’t believe people just rock up onto your land with a firearm though. I don’t want my dogs getting shot if they take an unliking to random people with guns coming across the land.
This is very common in Italy. Where I live they go shooting little birds. In fact they shoot everything. The pellets sometimes hit me on the head when I am in the garden. They leave little bowls of water to attract the critters and shoot them when they are drinking. I collect these bowls when they are not looking.
My neighbour has a box full of doves. He ties their feet to posts and leaves them all day in the sun. By the afternoon they are all hanging down. He calls it training. After the have finished their training course he takes them into the woods and ties them high in a tree to attract passing birds which he then shoots. My Dad was a hunter but he never did any of this.
philat98 is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 1:42 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 545
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
This is very common in Italy. Where I live they go shooting little birds. In fact they shoot everything. The pellets sometimes hit me on the head when I am in the garden. They leave little bowls of water to attract the critters and shoot them when they are drinking. I collect these bowls when they are not looking.
My neighbour has a box full of doves. He ties their feet to posts and leaves them all day in the sun. By the afternoon they are all hanging down. He calls it training. After the have finished their training course he takes them into the woods and ties them high in a tree to attract passing birds which he then shoots. My Dad was a hunter but he never did any of this.
just seems
daft shooting tiny birds with a powerful shotgun. Like shooting a rabbit with a rocket launcher. Everyone seems to have guns in the country.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 2:00 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 278
growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

The advice of not bothering the hornets nest is good advice.. The hunters and their associations are strong here in Europe and they will make your life miserable if they are reported as it is most likely that the mayor and police are hunters also..

It is just something you have to live with when you purchase your dream property in the campo..
growinspain is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 2:07 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 545
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

I don’t mind as long as the dogs don’t get blasted. My Belgium mallinois will go balistic if strangers come on the land.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2022, 10:36 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Location: Valencia
Posts: 439
SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

As annoying as they are and despite their forgetfulness when it comes to picking up spent cartridges, hunters are generally very respectful of nature and neighbors. They would certainly never shoot towards a dog. My dog is very nervous but he seemed to ignore them when we lived in the countryside, as if there was a connection between them. In contrast, he's spent the past 2 weeks quivering at the end of my bed with the non-stop Fallas fireworks.

So have you moved out to Spain now? I can never figure out if you live here, there or elsewhere.
SanNico is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2022, 10:43 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 545
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

Originally Posted by SanNico View Post
As annoying as they are and despite their forgetfulness when it comes to picking up spent cartridges, hunters are generally very respectful of nature and neighbors. They would certainly never shoot towards a dog. My dog is very nervous but he seemed to ignore them when we lived in the countryside, as if there was a connection between them. In contrast, he's spent the past 2 weeks quivering at the end of my bed with the non-stop Fallas fireworks.

So have you moved out to Spain now? I can never figure out if you live here, there or elsewhere.
I spoke to a friend who lives in the area. He said he had hunters on abs near his land. He just said gave them his number and said they are ok to shoot as long as they give him the heads up so he can lockdown the dogs and livestock. He said they never came back after that. He also warned me about reporting them or anything as they can make your life hard. I’m back and forth atm. With covid and Brexit everything’s been all over

Last edited by Stingychips; Mar 16th 2022 at 10:46 am.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2022, 12:14 pm
  #12  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

Originally Posted by SanNico View Post
My dog is very nervous but he seemed to ignore them when we lived in the countryside, as if there was a connection between them. In contrast, he's spent the past 2 weeks quivering at the end of my bed with the non-stop Fallas fireworks.
I seen it before! Fireworks do tend to give animals the heebie jeebies! Ear defenders that are designed for dogs are now available, but they are a bit pricey.

https://varuste.net/es/p75607/muttmu...RoCUh0QAvD_BwE
agree_to_disagree is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 7:43 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Alicante
Posts: 327
Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish hunters in the campo

So many people have been accidentally shot dead in Spain because of this sort of thing
Albir_Tom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.