Reload this Page >

The Spanish housing bubble is about to burst

The Spanish housing bubble is about to burst

Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough
Default The Spanish housing bubble is about to burst

Hi,

For those of you thinking about buying a house in Spain here are a bunch of articles that have appeared in "El mundo" (second most importand Spanish paper) and in other reputable papers (All in Spanish sorry):

http://www.elmundo.es/suplementos/su...128031222.html

http://www.cincodias.es/articulo.htm...&anchor=cdseco

http://foros.finanzas.com/SForums/$M=readmessage$TH=4234012$F=41145$ME=10444721

The huge Spanish housing bubble is about to burst and if you buy now you will be paying too much for something that is not worth it. The price of your house will go down a lot in a couple of years (or so economist say). However if you are thinking about retiring in Spain and that the price goes down is not a problem for you then it would be a good idea to buy as Spain is a nice country indeed.

Iván.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Spanish housing bubble is about to burst

You are probably right Ivanmax, there are over 7,000 properties for sale in our surrounding area alone
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Why, then do I keep on getting annoying notes from various local estate agents asking if I want to sell my apartment?

If there are seven thousand properties for sale in the area you would have thought they have enough on their books!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Why, then do I keep on getting annoying notes from various local estate agents asking if I want to sell my apartment?

If there are seven thousand properties for sale in the area you would have thought they have enough on their books!
Yeah but the ones they have are not selling, so they need more, hoping they will come across one that does.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

It was only a matter of time...
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Here's a link to the first via Babelfish if you want to get the gist of it in the style of a Japanese Video Recorder User Manual:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...128031222.html

Replace the section from "url=" onwards with the other links to 'translate' them.

Originally Posted by ivanmax
Hi,

For those of you thinking about buying a house in Spain here are a bunch of articles that have appeared in "El mundo" (second most importand Spanish paper) and in other reputable papers (All in Spanish sorry):

http://www.elmundo.es/suplementos/su...128031222.html

http://foros.finanzas.com/SForums/$M=readmessage$TH=4234012$F=41145$ME=10444721

The huge Spanish housing bubble is about to burst and if you buy now you will be paying too much for something that is not worth it. The price of your house will go down a lot in a couple of years (or so economist say). However if you are thinking about retiring in Spain and that the price goes down is not a problem for you then it would be a good idea to buy as Spain is a nice country indeed.

Iván.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

sortedtoo is an unknown quantity at this point

any sign of crash yet?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by sortedtoo
any sign of crash yet?
Not yet in Murcia, that I can see.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 12:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Soooooooooooooo many for sale in C D S. Sur in English is full of them, many reduced by thousands.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Doesn't one have to take into account that the German economy has taken a huge knock over the past few years, and whereas they used to purchase a lot of property in Spain, they've ceased to do so recently?

I bought an apartment in Altea (Costa Blanca) in the old town around four or five years ago, with a very large garage. The garage has electricity and water. I have received an offer of three times what paid for the garage very recently, by someone who wants to convert it into a studio apartment - and there's a precedent, four other identical garages have received permission to be converted and gone ahead and done so. It has views to die for, frankly.

As I really don't need a garage there, I am seriously considering selling it. I notice no bubble bursting. It's very unfortunate for local people, who can't afford to buy property in the area they were born in.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:17 am
Just Joined

amanda&charles is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely worry about buying into a really mature/overdone market such as the Costa del Sol at the moment. But what about the up and coming areas that don't have such exaggerated prices? I really can' t see them being affected that much as long as they keep adding infraestructure.

We´ve just bought an off-plan on the Costa de la Luz and everything sounds much more positive there. In fact our apartment was so cheap compared to the del Sol that I can't see how it could drop in price...burst bubble or not.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We bought ours in Costa Tropical some three years ago and it has more then trebled in price, and the prices here are still rising, where the prices are so high in CDS it seems that buyers are being pushed out to us or Costa de la Luz etc. If the "bubble" burst here, we would still be quids in, but then we are here for the duration with no intention of returning to the UK.

We bought a large older house for under 45000 euros with 1000 sq mtr of land, nothing like that or anything like it for sale anymore except ruins etc.

pwwm