British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish House Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-house-insurance-639415/)

Maurice Nov 6th 2009 7:51 pm

Spanish House Insurance

Can anyone through any light on what I was told today: I requsted insurance for my house and was refused because I have a cesspit (pozo), when ask the reason for the refusal I was told "we don't know" the company will not tell us just that you have one and they will not approve the insurance.

spainrico Nov 7th 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Spanish House Insurance

Suggest you talk to a sensible insurance broker who can advise which companies will accept that risk.

Mitzyboy Nov 7th 2009 1:16 pm

I dont really understand. Our house, and many others up here on our hill have tanks for sewerage as we are not on mains. They are very efficient and theres no problem associated with them.

My place has been insured with Mapfre and Knights insurance with no problem whatsoever

Maurice Nov 7th 2009 2:24 pm

Yes went to Knights and they said they would cover me, but at the moment my present insurance is the worry, not knowing if I am covered after being told on Friday that some insurance company's refuse.

Mitzyboy Nov 7th 2009 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 8079053)
Yes went to Knights and they said they would cover me, but at the moment my present insurance is the worry, not knowing if I am covered after being told on Friday that some insurance company's refuse.

Well have you asked them? :)

snikpoh Nov 7th 2009 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8078970)
I dont really understand. Our house, and many others up here on our hill have tanks for sewerage as we are not on mains. They are very efficient and theres no problem associated with them.

My place has been insured with Mapfre and Knights insurance with no problem whatsoever

Again, like Mitzy says, we've used two different insurance companies since moving here and they've never asked about our sewerage arrangements:eek:.

We've got a septic tank like most properties in the Spanish countryside as they are not yet on mains sewerage (will they ever be I wonder).

Why should they even ask I wonder? What else should I have told them when taking out buildings cover?????:unsure:

Maurice Nov 8th 2009 10:59 am

@mitzboy, yes asked them and they were as confused as me, they would ask around for me in the mean time I have asked some Spaish friends to investigate on the Spanish net for me.

Mitzyboy Nov 8th 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 8081065)
@mitzboy, yes asked them and they were as confused as me, they would ask around for me in the mean time I have asked some Spaish friends to investigate on the Spanish net for me.

No I meant have you asked your present insurance company?