Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish History

Spanish History

Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish History

Does anyone know of a book which is written in English about Spanish history. We are particularly interested in the traditions and customs, how they came about, why they came about etc. Although we love learning about historical events we are not looking for a heavy drive you to sleep history lesson but would prefer information that is user friendly and interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:43 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish History

A very good book that gives a broad summary of Spanish history without getting bogged down with political opinion (a problem with many history books wriiten about Spain by Spaniards IMHO) is The Story Of Spain by Mark Williams, published by Santana Books - ISBN 84-921229-2-7.

If you want some reading on the civil war, then Paul Preston's The Spanish Civil War is excellent. It has been praised in amongst Spaniards too as it tries to give a basic factual account of what happened rather than being slanted one way or the other. Published by Weidenfeld Paperbacks it has an ISDN 0-297-79805-7.

Or just go to Amazon!!!!!

Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain is also excellent reading but not what you were asking for per se. Check it out though, published by Faber, ISBN 0-571-22169-6

If you want to really know about Spain avoid any book by alleged ex-Genesis drummers and their bleedin' lemons!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
A very good book that gives a broad summary of Spanish history without getting bogged down with political opinion (a problem with many history books wriiten about Spain by Spaniards IMHO) is The Story Of Spain by Mark Williams, published by Santana Books - ISBN 84-921229-2-7.

If you want some reading on the civil war, then Paul Preston's The Spanish Civil War is excellent. It has been praised in amongst Spaniards too as it tries to give a basic factual account of what happened rather than being slanted one way or the other. Published by Weidenfeld Paperbacks it has an ISDN 0-297-79805-7.

Or just go to Amazon!!!!!

Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain is also excellent reading but not what you were asking for per se. Check it out though, published by Faber, ISBN 0-571-22169-6

If you want to really know about Spain avoid any book by alleged ex-Genesis drummers and their bleedin' lemons!

Thank you very much we will look these up.

I take it you do not approve or were let down by the lemons book.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:00 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Thank you very much we will look these up.

I take it you do not approve or were let down by the lemons book.

Rosemary
Don't get me started!!!! It was archetypal, middle England, condescending bordering on the insulting, aren't-the-locals-quaint, contrived bul.......... see???? You got me started.

Go to the other books. The Xenophobes Guide to Spain at only around 100 pages achieves with more class, far more humour, greater observation and all done tongue in cheek without belittling anybody exclusively than lemonhead managed to do in his book. Look what you've done: I'm wound up now!!!!!:curse:
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:05 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

!

Sounds interesting. I´d like to read something like this myself. Have you read it or just heard about it? Does it start at the Civil War and move forwards from there or does it date back a bit further?

Oh, and I agree about that intelligence insulting lemon drivel! Read it and regretted it!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:07 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Just managed to answer my own question by reading one of the customer reviews on Amazon......it dates back to the Stone Age!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:17 pm

Don't get me started!!!! It was archetypal, middle England, condescending bordering on the insulting, aren't-the-locals-quaint, contrived bul.......... see???? You got me started.

Go to the other books. The Xenophobes Guide to Spain at only around 100 pages achieves with more class, far more humour, greater observation and all done tongue in cheek without belittling anybody exclusively than lemonhead managed to do in his book. Look what you've done: I'm wound up now!!!!!:curse:
SORRY. Did not realise that you felt that strongly about it......guess by yours and Keiths reactions that we should not waste our money by buying it.

Are you calmer now. If not lay back, breath in and out very gently and let your mind wander into thoughts of pleasanter things such as oranges and not lemons.

Yes have read the Xenophobes guide though and enjoyed it.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I like his books
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities
SORRY. Did not realise that you felt that strongly about it......guess by yours and Keiths reactions that we should not waste our money by buying it.

Are you calmer now. If not lay back, breath in and out very gently and let your mind wander into thoughts of pleasanter things such as oranges and not lemons.

Yes have read the Xenophobes guide though and enjoyed it.

Rosemary
I've had a lie down. Drank some wine WITHOUT BLEEDIN' LEMONS...... no sorry, gone again.

Keith, I believe that every time it's reprinted, Preston updates or corrects it to include any recently discovered facts. As for the other point, it doesn't get to 1936 until chapter 4. Chapter one talks about Spain pre 1930, two covers 31-33, whilst three deals with the immediate preface to the war of 34-36. Well worth the read.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:32 pm
has got a huge member

I've had a lie down. Drank some wine WITHOUT BLEEDIN' LEMONS...... no sorry, gone again.

Keith, I believe that every time it's reprinted, Preston updates or corrects it to include any recently discovered facts. As for the other point, it doesn't get to 1936 until chapter 4. Chapter one talks about Spain pre 1930, two covers 31-33, whilst three deals with the immediate preface to the war of 34-36. Well worth the read.

Just been to Amazon to order it - but they haven´t got any copies can you believe! Only second hand books available, but I don´t fancy someone else's cast offs.!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Just been to Amazon to order it - but they haven´t got any copies can you believe! Only second hand books available, but I don´t fancy someone else's cast offs.!

But aren't we all someone else's cast offs????????
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
second hand books have feeling too!!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:45 pm

But aren't we all someone else's cast offs????????
Very much depends who did the casting off!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
That reminds me of an Simpsons episode where at the beginning when Bart is writing his lines on the blackboard he's writing "Rednecks Have Feelings Too"
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:56 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah, but get this....Amazon says the RRP for new is 12.99 GBP.

Cheapest second hand is 23 GBP. Go figure!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.