Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Health System

Spanish Health System

Old Dec 12th 2021, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Bart4275 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Health System

Am i correct in that after being in Spain for one year you transfer on to the Spanish system
Old Dec 12th 2021, 2:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Health System

You can agree to pay for the Convenio Especial but that does not cover your drugs.

As far as I am aware, the only free system is via the UK S1 procedure if you are a pensioner or if you are working and paying into the system.

It may have changed so please correct me if it has.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#healthcare
Old Dec 12th 2021, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

The UK government website says you get free Spanish healthcare after 5 years residency. This is a controversial topic. I work in Spain and have been over 5 years and have repeatedly told that after 3 months without contributing you no longer get free healthcare. I'm not at retirement age either. Now I have investigated this and know not one person who has free healthcare unless they are contributing. I consider myself fairly integrated, speak Spanish and work with Spaniards. However on Facebook groups ( UK expats) many people seem to claim that have it and say the just it was automatic. Now clearly something is wrong here and it would be great if there was a genuine first hand experience of a UK nat without an S1 with 5 years recently completed ( not 2013 etc) who has this and then we could get a definitive answer. Please though no " My neighbour, friend says...."
Old Dec 12th 2021, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

el barto is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the whole reason the convenio especial was created - to allow people who have not contributed into system or have an S1 (and therefore are NOT eligible for free healthcare) to be able to access the healthcare system for a fixed monthly payment depending on age. Under 65 is 60 euros and over is 167 euros.
When you start receiving a UK gov pension you can then apply for an S1 form which will get you free (paid by UK) access to system.
The only other option is private healthcare which can be cheaper than the convenio for over 65's UNLESS you have pre-existing conditions which private would either not cover or bump price up accordingly. The convenio will cover pre-existing.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

It is a fact that some people have been granted healthcare without working or having S1 or paying convenio.

I know because I was one - mine was granted under the longevity of residence rule (I now have S1) and I do not know if this still exists post-Brexit.

This also goes into it

https://www.guidebookspain.com/guide...ley-72018.html
Old Dec 12th 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
It is a fact that some people have been granted healthcare without working or having S1 or paying convenio.

I know because I was one - mine was granted under the longevity of residence rule (I now have S1) and I do not know if this still exists post-Brexit.

This also goes into it

Ah....so you can help me. So to be clear: you were never on the convenio and never contributed? So presumably you had a private policy? Then what happened when you reached 5 years? Did you just go to your central salud or did you go to INSS? . Also when was this , before 2013 or very recently? Also were you living with anyone else?
Just looked at that link and I'm afraid that : Jim"s Guide To Spain doesnt exactly seem a definitive resource!!!

Last edited by Chipmonk; Dec 12th 2021 at 3:49 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

el barto is an unknown quantity at this point

This also goes into it

Any reason why you switched to S1 if you had already been granted free healthcare?
Old Dec 12th 2021, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chipmonk - Correct and correct. I took the relevant papers:-
Passport or ID card
Residence card or certificate showing
exactly when the applicant became a resident
Up-to-date padron certificate
Letter from the home country
confirming that the applicant is not
entitled to health cover
Documents reflecting the total annual income

to my local INSS and applied. Prior to this I was living with someone who covered my health but after we split up I applied under the above rules. To qualify you had to be
not be working
not be contributing to the national Social Security system in one’s
own country
not be receiving any other type of benefit from the Spanish Social
Security system
be a citizen of the EU or EEA (European Economic Area) or
Switzerland
have registered as a resident in the “Registro de Extranjeros”
before the 24/04/2012
be able to demonstrate an annual income of less than 100,000 euros
not be entitled to sanitary assistance via any other route

el barto - Yes - I thought that the arrangement might get terminated whereas the S1 entitlement (which I reached this year) was a more permanent arrangement and now the UK contribute to Spain for my cover

I used to contribute articles to a magazine (now out of print) and I published an article in 2013 which I only now have in PDF format - but if anybody wants a copy please PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy - albeit I have no idea how much relevance it now has 8 years later and post Brexit.

This link might work https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L53...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by spainrico; Dec 12th 2021 at 4:35 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el barto
Any reason why you switched to S1 if you had already been granted free healthcare?
Possibly because people resident before 2012 only became entitled to free healthcare if they were "sin recursos", ie not entitled to healthcare via any other means, and had to supply the "legislation letter" from the DWP to prove that? Once they do become entitled to free healthcare via eligibility for an S1 form then they are no longer sin recursos since the UK Government will pay for their healthcare, so they are required to obtain an S1 form and register it with the INSS.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk - Correct and correct. I took the relevant papers:-
Passport or ID card
Residence card or certificate showing
exactly when the applicant became a resident
Up-to-date padron certificate
Letter from the home country
confirming that the applicant is not
entitled to health cover
Documents reflecting the total annual income

to my local INSS and applied. Prior to this I was living with someone who covered my health but after we split up I applied under the above rules. To qualify you had to be
not be working
not be contributing to the national Social Security system in one’s
own country
not be receiving any other type of benefit from the Spanish Social
Security system
be a citizen of the EU or EEA (European Economic Area) or
Switzerland
have registered as a resident in the “Registro de Extranjeros”
before the 24/04/2012
be able to demonstrate an annual income of less than 100,000 euros
not be entitled to sanitary assistance via any other route

el barto - Yes - I thought that the arrangement might get terminated whereas the S1 entitlement (which I reached this year) was a more permanent arrangement and now the UK contribute to Spain for my cover

I used to contribute articles to a magazine (now out of print) and I published an article in 2013 which I only now have in PDF format - but if anybody wants a copy please PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy - albeit I have no idea how much relevance it now has 8 years later and post Brexit.

This link might work https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L53...ew?usp=sharing

Presumably the letter has to be officially translated? But anyway I think the sticking point is that you have to show you have no other resort to healthcare and that is perhaps what causes the problem.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn - yes I had to obtain the letter from DWP. I do not know if the Spanish system would have picked up on my S1 entitlement (I think not actually) or whether it could have carried on but I felt a responsibility to change over and wanted the UK to contribute as per my entitlement.

No from memory the INSS accepted it as I got it from UK DWP.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Presumably the letter has to be officially translated? But anyway I think the sticking point is that you have to show you have no other resort to healthcare and that is perhaps what causes the problem.
These letters don't need to be translated because they are supplied in both English and Spanish, like the S1 forms themselves.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well that is good to know. What do you actually ask for from DWP? Is it something they are familiar with?
Old Dec 13th 2021, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I can't remember what I did yesterday never mind 8 years ago! All I remember is that it was very straightforward - but as I said before - post Brexit I have no idea if this still applies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.