Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Health Service on returning?

Spanish Health Service on returning?

Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Peddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Spanish Health Service on returning?

I lived in Spain from 1999-2005 and have NIE. I have about 2 yrs of INEM contributions. When I was there last, I renewed my residencia, even though I now live more in Malaysia and am 'travelling'. I am a UK national.

When I was in Spain around 1 yr ago for a short time, I made an appointment with my regular Spanish NHS doctor but was told that I had 'lapsed'

I must now move back to Spain (personal reasons). Can I simply sign up for the NHS again? I have been away over 12 months and there is no record of me seeing a doctor for about 3 years. But, there are hospital records of public operations on me (etc.)

I am not in the UK so I don't have the E 106 form or the E 102 form.

I have a heart problem, so I need to book in under a public doctor quite rapidly.

My gestor says that it is vague but I should be able to sign up again (I have EU passport, NIE, some past contributions and even residencia).

Could anyone clarify?

Eddy
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Health Service on returning?

Originally Posted by Peddy
I lived in Spain from 1999-2005 and have NIE. I have about 2 yrs of INEM contributions. When I was there last, I renewed my residencia, even though I now live more in Malaysia and am 'travelling'. I am a UK national.

When I was in Spain around 1 yr ago for a short time, I made an appointment with my regular Spanish NHS doctor but was told that I had 'lapsed'

I must now move back to Spain (personal reasons). Can I simply sign up for the NHS again? I have been away over 12 months and there is no record of me seeing a doctor for about 3 years. But, there are hospital records of public operations on me (etc.)

I am not in the UK so I don't have the E 106 form or the E 102 form.

I have a heart problem, so I need to book in under a public doctor quite rapidly.

My gestor says that it is vague but I should be able to sign up again (I have EU passport, NIE, some past contributions and even residencia).

Could anyone clarify?

Eddy
Unfortunately, your entitlement lapses after 3 months of not paying into the social security system. If you start making contributions again, the entitlement returns.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Unfortunately, your entitlement lapses after 3 months of not paying into the social security system. If you start making contributions again, the entitlement returns.
There were times during 1999-2005 when i didnt pay from salary--I was unemployed then in those times, but I still saw the NHS doctors.

Dont I get some sort of cover by having old INEM or by being Brit?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:11 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Dont I get some sort of cover by having old INEM or by being Brit?
Nope. You will need to start contributing to the system again or take out private health insurance, assuming you are under retirement age.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Spanish Health Service on returning?

I am 55. How do I start contributing?? How much is it??

When I first went in 1999 I showed the E 102 form and there is a mutual arrangement. spanish people in UK get care. I know that valencia has made problems for OAPs now. But, surely there is some kind of arrangement?

Eddy

Last edited by Peddy; Dec 6th 2008 at 1:04 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I am 55. How do I start contributing?? How much is it??

Eddy
Starts from €240 odd a month! You will need to see a Gestor.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Starts from €240 odd a month! You will need to see a Gestor.
Bearing in mind that private health for the two of us is less than half that!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who has lived and worked self employed in Spain for 6 yrs.
He paid his €240 (or roundabout that) into the system every month and never claimed.
However due to the economic down turn in the building trade he has not had any work recently and is finding things financially very tight, so he signed off the system at the end of August until he can find another job.

Last week his wife needed to visit the doc urgently for the first time since they moved here and was told that as the 90 days of grace period after the last payment had expired. She was no longer entitled to free treatment and had to pay.:curse:
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

susanspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Peddy - not good news I'm afraid. I have lived/worked here since 2000 and contributed into the system.. but lapsed as I have not had a job since 2006.
I asked about making voluntary contributions so I at least got med cover - but as poster said above- it is only slightly less than a self-employed person at a whopping Eu 240!
Yes... if a Spaniard were in the UK they would get access to more than the other way round.
They are really tightening up on this.
Only suggestion is to come here via UK and get an EH1 11 (which you can do on-line) - which will give you basic emergency cover.
Otherwise it is pay as you go I am afraid. (Or a private health care plan starting at around Eu 70 pcm per person).

You will only get access to the state health system again if you start a job - with a contract of course!!!
Good luck sj
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanspain
Peddy - not good news I'm afraid. I have lived/worked here since 2000 and contributed into the system.. but lapsed as I have not had a job since 2006.
I asked about making voluntary contributions so I at least got med cover - but as poster said above- it is only slightly less than a self-employed person at a whopping Eu 240!
Yes... if a Spaniard were in the UK they would get access to more than the other way round.
They are really tightening up on this.
Only suggestion is to come here via UK and get an EH1 11 (which you can do on-line) - which will give you basic emergency cover.
Otherwise it is pay as you go I am afraid. (Or a private health care plan starting at around Eu 70 pcm per person).

You will only get access to the state health system again if you start a job - with a contract of course!!!
Good luck sj
E111 was stopped years ago and is now an EHIC that will only cover for emegencies while on holiday.
He also lives in Spain so is not entitled for one from the UK.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by big wheels
I have a friend who has lived and worked self employed in Spain for 6 yrs.
He paid his €240 (or roundabout that) into the system every month and never claimed.
However due to the economic down turn in the building trade he has not had any work recently and is finding things financially very tight, so he signed off the system at the end of August until he can find another job.

Last week his wife needed to visit the doc urgently for the first time since they moved here and was told that as the 90 days of grace period after the last payment had expired. She was no longer entitled to free treatment and had to pay.:curse:
Did your friend register with the INEM as unemployed?

If so, does this mean that ALL unemployed people in Spain (regardless of Nationality or Residential status) are not entitled to free health cover if they are no longer paying their Seguridad Social?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
E111 was stopped years ago and is now an EHIC that will only cover for emegencies while on holiday.
It covers more than just emergencies:-

"Presenting the EHIC entitles you to treatment that may become necessary during your trip, but doesn't allow you to go abroad specifically to receive medical care. However, maternity care, renal dialysis and managing the symptoms of pre-existing or chronic conditions that arise while abroad are all covered by the EHIC."
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:16 am
Account Closed

intheknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
Did your friend register with the INEM as unemployed?

If so, does this mean that ALL unemployed people in Spain (regardless of Nationality or Residential status) are not entitled to free health cover if they are no longer paying their Seguridad Social?
No, unemployed people continue to have a social security contributory record so they can continue to get health cover.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by intheknow
No, unemployed people continue to have a social security contributory record so they can continue to get health cover.
so what is the 90 days grace period that Big Wheels mentioned?

and why couldn't his wife get the free health cover?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:42 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between unemployed previously employed and unemployed previously self-employed...if you see what I mean!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.