Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Health Care

Spanish Health Care

Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

miastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nice
Default Spanish Health Care

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering what happens with health care in Spain. Do you need insurance? Do you need to pay NI over there and have a Spanish bank account?

My husband is British and works in Spain. He gets paid by a British company still into a UK account. Myself and our son are joining him in two weeks. I am a bit worried about what happens if one of us got ill suddenly, especially my son. Does anyone know? I could not see any threads from previous discussions.

Andrea.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:58 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spanish Health Care

If your husband pays tax in Spain then he'll be in the health system and you and your son will be covered as his dependents. If he's paying tax in the UK (bit naughty if your resident in Spain) then I guess private healthcare would be the answer. In the short term, get yourself an EHIC card from the DSS (or whatever it's call these days) which is easily done over the internet and which covers you for a period of up to two years depending on hubbys contributions. Anyway, others more wise than I in Spanish health matters will be on shortly I'm sure. Otherwise check out the "free beer" thread a the top and there should be loads of info there. Good luck.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

The Embassy website has plenty of information and advice on what to do etc

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ions-benefits/
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but the EHIC is for holiday use only, think you are thinking of the E106 but name has changed, anyway this would give you all cover for up to two years, but then you would have to have private health insurance.

I do know a few that have got away with using the EHIC for years but have been caught and told it is obvious they are not on holiday.

Dont worry medical care can be sorted as previous poster has said.

Good luck with your move
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

miastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nice

Thank you for your reply's.

I have been looking into what you all suggested and it now seems to be a S1 form I think I need to fill in. Its not easy to find out this information on the sites but I have a lot better idea now what I should be doing.

Andrea
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the old E121 and E106 are now the S1 form.