British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   A Spanish Health Card (or maybe not ?) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-health-card-maybe-not-710856/)

VFR Mar 25th 2011 7:20 pm

A Spanish Health Card (or maybe not ?)

We have SIP cards issued in Valencia as I worked there & indeed live there.
Moved on a temporary basis to Mijas in Andalucia to look for work & visited the local salud where they looked quizzically at our strange health cards (to them)
You want to see the nurse to have your blood pressure taken ?, in that case you need to see the doctor first. (fill out this form)
OK but it is really not necessary etc etc etc ................ OK we will see the doctor.
Hello doctor (4 days later) we are here because etc etc, and we have bought these prescription with us to tied us over until we return to Valencia.
No good here mate, really?, yes I will issue you with new Andalusian ones & I am your doctor for your time here.

A call this morning from the Central Salud informed me that our cards are no good here, no good ?, yes I'm afraid so but do you have a European Health card ?. No we do not as we are still in Spain ! ................ ?????

BTW if a resident from Andalucia, in possession of a valid health card, wishes to visit Valencia for a spell would their card be acceptable there ........ ?? No.

In that case its just as well that I am now working here & legally so you can issue me with another health card then.

Can this story be true ?

Mitzyboy Mar 25th 2011 7:26 pm

Re: A Spanish Health Card (or maybe not ?)

It happened to me just in Valencia at my own doctor. First the card was fine then I went to the doctor a while later and the cards were no good as I was temporary, then we got approval but temporary cards, then they ran out and when I went to the Health Centre for new ones it started all over again.

OK now though :lol: Took a good year from start to finish

Rosemary Mar 25th 2011 7:26 pm

Afraid so. Each province appears to have their own distinct health system. Some rules apply to the whole of Spain and some rules apply to individual areas. There may be some similarities but there are definitely differences.

Rosemary

VFR Mar 26th 2011 7:14 am

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9264560)
Afraid so. Each province appears to have their own distinct health system. Some rules apply to the whole of Spain and some rules apply to individual areas. There may be some similarities but there are definitely differences.

Rosemary

Yes that would seem to be the case, but an odd situation (IMO) as once in the system you have a national SS number that I assume stays with you for life & can be accessed via a quick swipe of a card.
Surely a Spanish national does not have this palaver when taking a holiday say for the month of August in another part of Spain (as many do)

lynnxa Mar 26th 2011 7:30 am

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9265400)
Yes that would seem to be the case, but an odd situation (IMO) as once in the system you have a national SS number that I assume stays with you for life & can be accessed via a quick swipe of a card.
Surely a Spanish national does not have this palaver when taking a holiday say for the month of August in another part of Spain (as many do)

judging by the posters in our local medical centre, yes they do

'desplazados' - anyone not from the region, not just us foreigners - have to go to a different window & get a temp SIP card in order to see a doctor

they are issued pretty much on the spot though

I'm not sure what happens if they go to the hospital in an emergency, though I would imagine they'd be dealt withwithout too much palaver

JLFS Mar 26th 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9265400)

There is a facility for "deplazados" in the health centre, this section is not just for foreigners, but for nationals who are out of their "health area".

Loads of Spanish people use that service when they are away from home. And as far as I know although, not first hand, quite a few British too.

lynnxa Mar 26th 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9265430)
There is a facility for "deplazados" in the health centre, this section is not just for foreigners, but for nationals who are out of their "health area".

Loads of Spanish people use that service when they are away from home. And as far as I know although, not first hand, quite a few British too.

yes, my dad is a 'desplazado' & using his EHIC card

they issued him with a temp SIP card to use at the medical centre - though when we went to urgencias they wanted to see his EHIC

but when we went for a consultant appt. they wanted to see his SIP - not his EHIC

I just carry both in my purse now...............

Lynn R Mar 26th 2011 10:31 am

I don't understand why the Andalucian Helath Service seems to base entitlement for extranjeros on the EHIC card.

When we first moved over, we registered our E106 forms at the local Social Security office, then went to the Health Centre and registered with a doctor, and received temporary cards which, we were informed, would need to be renewed after one year. After a year we duly went back, with our E106 forms, to renew the cards. However, this time they demanded an EHIC card. I tried to explain that this was no longer valid as it was issued by the UK and I was now resident in Spain, and that it was the E106 form that entitled us to two years' public health cover not the EHIC which should be for emergency treatment for visitors to the country, but to no avail. So I had to trudge home again and return to the health centre with my old EHIC card instead. Luckily we never needed to see a doctor or visit the hospital or I don't know what would have happened.

After the two years elapsed, of course, we took out private health insurance so the problem is shelved until such time as we become pensioners. I will be keeping my private health cover going until such time as I have my Tarjeta Sanitaria clutched firmly in my hot sticky little paw, though!

JulianWard Mar 26th 2011 1:53 pm

I am in Andalusia but I am a UK pensioner.

In my case as a retired person I registered using an E121 from UK. When I got married I got another E121 and registered my wife, who is a non European and under retirement age. Neither of us has ever had a problem using the Andalusia Heath Cards.

When I die though my wife will only be eligible for one more year, then no cover.

whitelinen Mar 26th 2011 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by JulianWard (Post 9265867)
I am in Andalusia but I am a UK pensioner.
In my case as a retired person I registered using an E121 from UK. When I got married I got another E121 and registered my wife, who is a non European and under retirement age. Neither of us has ever had a problem using the Andalusia Heath Cards.

When I die though my wife will only be eligible for one more year, then no cover.

Does this apply to EU widows/widowers as well?

megmet Mar 26th 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9265629)
I don't understand why the Andalucian Helath Service seems to base entitlement for extranjeros on the EHIC card.

However, this time they demanded an EHIC card. I tried to explain that this was no longer valid as it was issued by the UK and I was now resident in Spain, and that it was the E106 form that entitled us to two years' public health cover not the EHIC which should be for emergency treatment for visitors to the country, but to no avail.
After the two years elapsed, of course, we took out private health insurance so the problem is shelved until such time as we become pensioners. I will be keeping my private health cover going until such time as I have my Tarjeta Sanitaria clutched firmly in my hot sticky little paw, though!

The EHIC used to be issued here to residents, it's all now changed and the EHIC is now issued by the country of your birth, in your case UK.
You need to ensure that you have an up to date card, you will need this not only for travel in Europe, it's also necessary should you require emergency treatment on visits back to the UK.

Once you are a pensioner and get your green health card it's for life, along with free prescriptions....but you will still need a valid EHIC for visits to the UK.

Lynn R Mar 26th 2011 5:18 pm

It is my understanding, however, that as someone who has retired early without being in receipt of a state pension, and not paying into either the British or Spanish social security systems, I will not be entitled to an EHIC card until I become eligible for my state pension. I really should take out travel insurance to cover visits to the UK, but so far I haven't bothered. My private health insurance here does provide a limited amount of cover when outside Spain anyway, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were to visit the USA!

Am I wrong?

megmet Mar 26th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9266120)
It is my understanding, however, that as someone who has retired early without being in receipt of a state pension, and not paying into either the British or Spanish social security systems, I will not be entitled to an EHIC card until I become eligible for my state pension. I really should take out travel insurance to cover visits to the UK, but so far I haven't bothered. My private health insurance here does provide a limited amount of cover when outside Spain anyway, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were to visit the USA!

Am I wrong?

You are entitled to a EHIC as a British citizen (even though a Spanish resident) whether you you pay into the social security system or not!
You can apply for one online, though last year when we renewed ours we had to write/call them as they had not updated the information online at that time.

You will still need travel insurance as the EHIC only covers emergency treatment.

VFR Mar 26th 2011 7:44 pm

My understanding is that to be eligible for a UK EHIC card you need to have an E121 that is issued to those of pensionable age/in receipt of a UK State Pension (there are a few exceptions to this rule)

That being the case those who have a Spanish Health Card would need a Spanish issued EHIC card (like me)

VFR Mar 26th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 9265420)
judging by the posters in our local medical centre, yes they do

'desplazados' - anyone not from the region, not just us foreigners - have to go to a different window & get a temp SIP card in order to see a doctor

they are issued pretty much on the spot though

I'm not sure what happens if they go to the hospital in an emergency, though I would imagine they'd be dealt withwithout too much palaver

Thanks for that info.
So it seems that my understanding of the system is correct, what a strange way to carry on :confused:

snikpoh Mar 26th 2011 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9266195)
You are entitled to a EHIC as a British citizen (even though a Spanish resident) whether you you pay into the social security system or not!
You can apply for one online, though last year when we renewed ours we had to write/call them as they had not updated the information online at that time.

You will still need travel insurance as the EHIC only covers emergency treatment.

I'm not sure that I agree with you - at least, I've been told something very different. As an early retiree (not of pensionable age) resident in Spain, I have been told that the EHIC has to be issued by the country that I reside in. However, as I am not paying into the Spanish system, I can't get one here!!

If you have any links to 'proper', knowledgeable sites that say otherwise (ie not forums or other such areas of gossip) then I would be VERY appreciative.

Thanks.

lynnxa Mar 26th 2011 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9266430)
I'm not sure that I agree with you - at least, I've been told something very different. As an early retiree (not of pensionable age) resident in Spain, I have been told that the EHIC has to be issued by the country that I reside in. However, as I am not paying into the Spanish system, I can't get one here!!

If you have any links to 'proper', knowledgeable sites that say otherwise (ie not forums or other such areas of gossip) then I would be VERY appreciative.

Thanks.

well the very first thing it says on the EHIC website https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

is

If you are a UK resident
so I reckon you're correct

megmet Mar 27th 2011 1:37 am

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9266400)
My understanding is that to be eligible for a UK EHIC card you need to have an E121 that is issued to those of pensionable age/in receipt of a UK State Pension (there are a few exceptions to this rule)

That being the case those who have a Spanish Health Card would need a Spanish issued EHIC card (like me)

Your Spanish EHIC which replaced the old E111 is no longer issued in Spain to foreigners (an EEC ruling)....as of May 2010 as a British citizen you now have to renew it from the UK, as was widely reported in the press at the time!

The E121 is a totally different thing and is what you need to obtain the Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual, which is the card used to access medical treatment and as a pensioner obtain free prescriptions once registered with a doctor here in Spain.

megmet Mar 27th 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9266430)

Thanks.

As a pensioner here myself I can assure you that you will no longer be able to obtain the EHIC from the Spanish social security, it is issued now by the DWP in the UK.
When we first moved here the card was issued by Spain, as of May 2010 the EU ruling was that in future the card would be issued by your country of birth....I am in fact sat looking at mine now, issued from the UK.

Try this link for more information.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...gulations.aspx

Hope it helps, many of the information pages for the NHS and DWP have not been brought up to date. :confused:

VFR Mar 27th 2011 6:50 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9266786)
Your Spanish EHIC which replaced the old E111 is no longer issued in Spain to foreigners (an EEC ruling)....as of May 2010 as a British citizen you now have to renew it from the UK, as was widely reported in the press at the time!

The E121 is a totally different thing and is what you need to obtain the Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual, which is the card used to access medical treatment and as a pensioner obtain free prescriptions once registered with a doctor here in Spain.

I think that you misunderstand me ? and yes I know that the EHIC card is nothing to do with the E121.

Again my understanding is this from reading many threads/posts.

Should you be eligible for an E121 ?, in that case the UK are obliged to issue a EHIC card.
Should you be working in Spain and paying into the Spanish SS ?, the EHIC card will be issued by Spain.
Should you be living in Spain and not paying into the system ?, then no one will issue a EHIC card.

Fred James Mar 27th 2011 7:00 am

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9267031)

Should you be eligible for an E121 ?, in that case the UK are obliged to issue a EHIC card.
Should you be working in Spain and paying into the Spanish SS ?, the EHIC card will be issued by Spain.
Should you be living in Spain and not paying into the system ?, then no one will issue a EHIC card.

Yes that is my understanding.

The early retiree residing in Spain without a job falls between the cracks and has no health cover in Spain or the UK.

snikpoh Mar 27th 2011 8:25 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9266806)
As a pensioner here myself I can assure you that you will no longer be able to obtain the EHIC from the Spanish social security, it is issued now by the DWP in the UK.
When we first moved here the card was issued by Spain, as of May 2010 the EU ruling was that in future the card would be issued by your country of birth....I am in fact sat looking at mine now, issued from the UK.

Try this link for more information.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...gulations.aspx

Hope it helps, many of the information pages for the NHS and DWP have not been brought up to date. :confused:

I think we are not now disagreeing. However, there is a big difference between pensioners and non-pensioners - you need to be clear in your posts on that distinction!

As a non-working, non-pensioner, and as Fred says, I fall between the cracks and can not get an EHIC card anywhere!

JulianWard Mar 27th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9267089)
I think we are not now disagreeing. However, there is a big difference between pensioners and non-pensioners - you need to be clear in your posts on that distinction!

As a non-working, non-pensioner, and as Fred says, I fall between the cracks and can not get an EHIC card anywhere!

There is just another situation to put in there.

When I came to Spain (under retirement age) I was on long term invalidity benefit. DWP (DHSS as it was then ) sent me an E121 and I was immediately included in the Spanish health system. I am guessing but I assume that may still apply.

Also, when my wife, a non European, can to Spain. The DWP sent an E121 but the Spanish health authority would not allow her to be included until she had her Residencia. So it was Sanitas cover for about 8 months.

Lynn R Mar 27th 2011 10:34 am

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9267031)
I think that you misunderstand me ? and yes I know that the EHIC card is nothing to do with the E121.

Again my understanding is this from reading many threads/posts.

Exactly the point I was making. As I am not a pensioner, nor a dependent of one, I am not currently entitled to an EHIC card from either country.

Lenox Mar 27th 2011 2:12 pm

I found this about ex-pat health care:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ex...alth-care.html

jdr Mar 27th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9264549)
We have SIP cards issued in Valencia as I worked there & indeed live there.
Moved on a temporary basis to Mijas in Andalucia to look for work & visited the local salud where they looked quizzically at our strange health cards (to them)
You want to see the nurse to have your blood pressure taken ?, in that case you need to see the doctor first. (fill out this form)
OK but it is really not necessary etc etc etc ................ OK we will see the doctor.
Hello doctor (4 days later) we are here because etc etc, and we have bought these prescription with us to tied us over until we return to Valencia.
No good here mate, really?, yes I will issue you with new Andalusian ones & I am your doctor for your time here.

A call this morning from the Central Salud informed me that our cards are no good here, no good ?, yes I'm afraid so but do you have a European Health card ?. No we do not as we are still in Spain ! ................ ?????

BTW if a resident from Andalucia, in possession of a valid health card, wishes to visit Valencia for a spell would their card be acceptable there ........ ?? No.

In that case its just as well that I am now working here & legally so you can issue me with another health card then.

Can this story be true ?

You can get free blood pressure tests in any chemists, any emergency will be treated immediately in the national hospitals a and e unit.

VFR Mar 28th 2011 4:27 am

Yes I know, but thanks for the info.

divv Mar 28th 2011 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9266120)
My private health insurance here does provide a limited amount of cover when outside Spain anyway, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were to visit the USA!

May I ask who your private cover is with?
Thanks

Lynn R Mar 28th 2011 9:18 am

I am with Prevision Medica, but I believe they only operate in certain areas of Andalucia so may not be available to you depending on where you live. We are currently paying 92€ per month to cover the two of us.

divv Mar 28th 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9269008)
I am with Prevision Medica, but I believe they only operate in certain areas of Andalucia so may not be available to you depending on where you live. We are currently paying 92€ per month to cover the two of us.

Thanks!

Loco Pedro Mar 28th 2011 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9267223)
Exactly the point I was making. As I am not a pensioner, nor a dependent of one, I am not currently entitled to an EHIC card from either country.

I'm also an early retiree, who has had many instances when the local Centre de Salud would not honour my E106 qualification without an EHIC.
I eventually got so fed up with this twice yearly argument for my temporary SIP card that I phoned the UK requesting a replacement for my "lost" EHIC which arrived at the UK address I gave them within a week.
In the meantime, I visited the "Accreditacion" department of our main hospital in Denia and created a fuss regarding this spurious need for my EHIC card to gain a SIP based on my E106.
A very helpful lady told me she would sort it - and she did. When I went back to the health centre, they meekly handed over another SIP.
Incidently, whilst at the hospital, she photocopied the E106 and issued me with a letter which I need to show every time I have a hospital appointment to prove my current on-going entitlement to treatment.
This has to be renewed every year with each new E106.