Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish girl learns English (but claims benefits) in Edinburgh

Spanish girl learns English (but claims benefits) in Edinburgh

Old May 19th 2010, 3:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish girl learns English (but claims benefits) in Edinburgh

Originally Posted by JLFS
Thats it, you dont have to be a tax payer to "pay your own way". What it means to me is that nobody else is paying for you, ie with benefits, and so you are biengs supported by the taxpayer.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in Spain (Spanish included) who do not pay tax in Spain but they are still paying their own way.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Erm, no

If someone is deliberately avoiding paying tax on their income, then who do you think is paying for their schools, roads, policeforce, army, airports etc etc.

Paying taxes is paying your own way. I'm not referring to retired people of course, they've paid their 45 years of income tax
Show me the part of my post where I said that they were "deliberatly avoiding paying tax"?
Read the post again, I did not say that they were deliberatly avoiding paying tax, I just said that they were not paying tax, but remember shades of grey exist.

Of course I would expect you to think that everyone not paying tax is deliberatly avoiding doing so, it would not enter into your head that maybe they do not have the level of income that warrents them paying tax, your "let them eat cake" attitude is showing again.

and just because they are not paying tax now does not mean that they did not pay in the past.

They may be having a hard time right now, things may get better or they may not, they may become taxpayers again and pay for their share of roads, police etc

Not so black and white is it.
Old May 19th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[/COLOR][/B]

Show me the part of my post where I said that they were "deliberatly avoiding paying tax"?
Read the post again, I did not say that they were deliberatly avoiding paying tax, I just said that they were not paying tax, but remember shades of grey exist.

Of course I would expect you to think that everyone not paying tax is deliberatly avoiding doing so, it would not enter into your head that maybe they do not have the level of income that warrents them paying tax, your "let them eat cake" attitude is showing again.

and just because they are not paying tax now does not mean that they did not pay in the past.

They may be having a hard time right now, things may get better or they may not, they may become taxpayers again and pay for their share of roads, police etc

Not so black and white is it.
I thought it would be blatently obvious. Of course I am not calling people with no income or very low incomes criminals

Pfff!
Old May 19th 2010, 3:41 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Tramps in England don't pay tax.. Are they criminals too?
Old May 19th 2010, 3:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it would be blatently obvious. Of course I am not calling people with no income or very low incomes criminals

Pfff!
That is a surprise, that you dont consider them criminals, because you seem to show contempt for the "lowly" in fact you have said before that it is not your fault you dont know any people with menial jobs.............how up yourself is that comment......
Old May 19th 2010, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

That is a surprise, that you dont consider them criminals, because you seem to show contempt for the "lowly" in fact you have said before that it is not your fault you dont know any people with menial jobs.............how up yourself is that comment......
What am I meant to do, lie?

You could ask any professional from a big city. I doubt any will have a friend who is a building labourer or stacks supermarket shelves. it's just the way the world works, I'm not proud of it.

Anyway, its changed now, I am playing for a new English footy team at the weekend and they are all manual workers, mainly in bars I think Unfortunately the Spanish team I play for in the week are made up of professionals, though a couple are unemployed. Does that give me any kudos points!?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:14 pm
Banned

You could ask any professional from a big city. I doubt any will have a friend who is a building labourer or stacks supermarket shelves. it's just the way the world works, I'm not proud of it.

Anyway, its changed now, I am playing for a new English footy team at the weekend and they are all manual workers, mainly in bars I think Unfortunately the Spanish team I play for in the week are made up of professionals, though a couple are unemployed. Does that give me any kudos points!?

I have No comment on such a condescending post.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:18 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Are you calling me lowly with no friends in the professional field? How dare you..!! Don't confuse manual workers with manual labourers either.. An engineer for example is a manual worker and also a professional in his field.
A manual labourer is somone who (for example) sweeps up the crap that the engineer left and carries the engineers tools about for him.. Also manual labourers cart bricks around, make cement whilst the professionals build the houses. Not all pro's work in offices.. Lots work on the streets too.. But that's a different type of pro again..
Old May 19th 2010, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
Are you calling me lowly with no friends in the professional field? How dare you..!! Don't confuse manual workers with manual labourers either.. An engineer for example is a manual worker and also a professional in his field.
A manual labourer is somone who (for example) sweeps up the crap that the engineer left and carries the engineers tools about for him.. Also manual labourers cart bricks around, make cement whilst the professionals build the houses. Not all pro's work in offices.. Lots work on the streets too.. But that's a different type of pro again..
Sorry, there is no smiley to indicate irony or sarcasm.

Personaly, I dont care what jobs people have as long as they are nice people. One of the things I didnt like about London is whenever you met someone at a party or something it was "and what do you do?"

Btw, it was JLFS using the terms "lowly" and "menial", not me.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:55 pm
Banned

Sorry, there is no smiley to indicate irony or sarcasm.

Personaly, I dont care what jobs people have as long as they are nice people. One of the things I didnt like about London is whenever you met someone at a party or something it was "and what do you do?"

Btw, it was JLFS using the terms "lowly" and "menial", not me.
I did use the word lowly and menial, (no offence was meant and I am sure Lushdaddy understands) to try to explain, the fact that in your circle everyone is well off , no one is struggling, it is a myth that Spain is in crisis, all have good uni degrees, if they are mugged it is because they look like tourists even the Spanish, and bring it on themselves through their own stupidity.

The unemployed have brought it on themselves by not doing the right degrees at uni, and so on and on and on and on.............

In fact your contempt for the "less than perfect" folk shows through as sharply as black pubes through white knickers.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:09 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, no

If someone is deliberately avoiding paying tax on their income, then who do you think is paying for their schools, roads, policeforce, army, airports etc etc.

Paying taxes is paying your own way. I'm not referring to retired people of course, they've paid their 45 years of income tax
Don't retired people pay tax?

And although I don't condone income tax avoidance don't forget that everybody in Spain pays tax every time they buy something. Those in the black economy do contribute something.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did use the word lowly and menial, (no offence was meant and I am sure Lushdaddy understands) to try to explain, the fact that in your circle everyone is well off , no one is struggling, it is a myth that Spain is in crisis, all have good uni degrees, if they are mugged it is because they look like tourists even the Spanish, and bring it on themselves through their own stupidity.

The unemployed have brought it on themselves by not doing the right degrees at uni, and so on and on and on and on.............

In fact your contempt for the "less than perfect" folk shows through as sharply as black pubes through white knickers.
What nonsense

Just sounds like you're jealous I've no idea if you have any reason to be or not
Old May 19th 2010, 8:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe so but I would not call people like that illegal immigrants.

Maybe a different name for them would be more appropriatem they are more Unregistered than illegal or somthing like that.

I would use the term illegal immigrant to mean that someone should not legally be in the country and if caught could be deported.

I have never heard of a Brit who has stayed longer than 3 months without registering and getting an NIE number being held in detention awaiting deportation.

And they could leave and enter the country through any airport or port openly, using their passport, unlike a real "illegal immigrant".

Maybe somone on the forum knows of such a case of a valid legal passport holder who enterend this country legally and sentenced for not registering.

I know there are incetives to register but are there any penalties for not registering after 3 months?
I didn`t even say they were immigrants, I just said that their paperwork would not be in order, see attachment.
EU citizens are not immigrants to Spain in the true sense of the word as we are all allegedly members of a community.
If you want to find out what an immigrant is then try applying to move to Canada, USA, or Oz.
Attached Thumbnails Spanish girl learns English (but claims benefits) in Edinburgh-residencia-3.jpg  
Old May 19th 2010, 10:58 pm
Banned

What nonsense

Just sounds like you're jealous I've no idea if you have any reason to be or not

you really do have a serious superiority complex dont you?
Old May 20th 2010, 11:55 am
Just Joined

JohnnieWLK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
thank you for clearing this up for me..tomorrow I will away to the local (spanish)dole office to claim my flat,dole money,language tutor et al. knowing full well that the country won't go bankrupt and that I am doing them a favour by spending my ill-gotten gains in Spain.
Wonderful world we live in.
No, but you can go to the Seguridad Social, as many retired Brits do, and get for free that surgery that you would never be able to afford, nor get it through the NHS...
Old May 20th 2010, 12:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnnieWLK
No, but you can go to the Seguridad Social, as many retired Brits do, and get for free that surgery that you would never be able to afford, nor get it through the NHS...
which I believe would be paid for by the UK government under a reciprocal agreement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.