Spanish Gardens...........

Spanish Gardens...........

Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Originally Posted by susique
Hello NicCol,

I don't know what they would do if left to their own devices, with a warm winter a climate, perennials die down in winter and re-grow in Spring I believe and I guess they would become larger plants each year.

I have geraniums at home in UK, they live outside in Spanish pots on the patio all summer and come into the conservatory for the winter where they continue to flower. They do become a bit 'leggy' so I cut them right back to encourage new growth and soon they are flowering again. These are the trailing variety and I have always loved them as they remind me of Spanish patios and balconies.

Geranium plants can grow quite large but if you don't keep them trimmed they are pretty unattractive after a few years.

Hoping to bring a few out for my Spanish home, along with other stuff soon.
I have never been able to keep the plants over winter, though I have managed to use cuttings. It sounds like, that as long as I protect them over the winter and cut them back, they should be OK.

How are you transporting your plants?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you looking for cilentro, they have it in a lovely little garden centre on the road between Venta Florin and Nova Sancti Petri. Go past the enormous Swiss chalet and Venta Lopez and about 500M on the left, there's a scrappy Vivero sign and it's just up on the left - Vivero La Barrosa. Good selection of herbs, plus bamboo, black and yellow. Two women run it and are eager to share their knowledge.

No joy with the gramon turf, folks: most people seem to be seeding or sticking the rhizomes in until it spreads. Very laborious but results are lush.

I've given up with the pelargoniums because of the geranium moth and no amount of specific spraying seems to get rid of them. The trailing variety are another matter - they are great in pots at the moment.

I wish I knew how to put pictures on here because I hope someone can identify a plant. I've tried the copy and paste and it won't go. Any tips? A chunk of the plant was given to me last year and now it's everywhere. Small succulent dark green leaves which spread or trail, they have a tiny deep pink flower, rather like a miniature mesumbreanthimum (??) and they open in the sun. Very handy to fill corners or pots as long as it's kept under control.

Thanks for all the info. on bulbs. I haven't tried them as I thought they'd be a 2 or 3 day wonder, but I'll have a go next year.

For what it's worth, these are the plants that we've found withstand the heat and the cold: plumbago, bignonia with the lovely pink trumpet flowers over a pergola, passion flower, jasmine, honeysuckle and lavender. Any others that you would like to mention?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:51 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
For those of you looking for cilentro, they have it in a lovely little garden centre on the road between Venta Florin and Nova Sancti Petri. Go past the enormous Swiss chalet and Venta Lopez and about 500M on the left, there's a scrappy Vivero sign and it's just up on the left - Vivero La Barrosa. Good selection of herbs, plus bamboo, black and yellow. Two women run it and are eager to share their knowledge.

No joy with the gramon turf, folks: most people seem to be seeding or sticking the rhizomes in until it spreads. Very laborious but results are lush.

I've given up with the pelargoniums because of the geranium moth and no amount of specific spraying seems to get rid of them. The trailing variety are another matter - they are great in pots at the moment.

I wish I knew how to put pictures on here because I hope someone can identify a plant. I've tried the copy and paste and it won't go. Any tips? A chunk of the plant was given to me last year and now it's everywhere. Small succulent dark green leaves which spread or trail, they have a tiny deep pink flower, rather like a miniature mesumbreanthimum (??) and they open in the sun. Very handy to fill corners or pots as long as it's kept under control.

Thanks for all the info. on bulbs. I haven't tried them as I thought they'd be a 2 or 3 day wonder, but I'll have a go next year.

For what it's worth, these are the plants that we've found withstand the heat and the cold: plumbago, bignonia with the lovely pink trumpet flowers over a pergola, passion flower, jasmine, honeysuckle and lavender. Any others that you would like to mention?
Iris could the plant you are trying to identify be an osteopspermum ?? Also known as Dimorphotheca , Cape marigold, African daisy. They are freely available in Britain and make good ground cover but are tender. Brrrrrrr..it's cold again this week, though at least the sun is shining..
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Your pretty plant with succulant green leaves and deep pink flowers - Ive got one but I don't know what it is either. Have to admit I pinched a tiny cutting (there was masses of mother plant) when on holiday a couple of years ago and I have had a wonderful display for two years (it survived winter last year) in my raised flower bed on the patio steps. It is looking very sorry for itself following the recent cold spell but I have other plants taken from that which are in the conservatory, plus some cuttings which have rooted so I will be bringing them over next trip. I will try and find out what it is though.

Will have a look in the garden centre you recommend. Just making a note in my little black book of useful info for Chiclana.

I think we may try getting some turf down but planting gramon in amongst it so that we get an immediately usable lawn to start with and then the harder wearing gramon will hopefully take over.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Iris could the plant you are trying to identify be an osteopspermum ?? Also known as Dimorphotheca , Cape marigold, African daisy. They are freely available in Britain and make good ground cover but are tender. Brrrrrrr..it's cold again this week, though at least the sun is shining..
Hi Poollounger. No, not those - we have a few clumps of those, yellow, white and purple and are especially lovely just now. The tiny flower on the unknown one is about the size of a finger nail.

It is perfect gardening weather so be soon! Marmalade and curd awaits you!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NicCol
I have never been able to keep the plants over winter, though I have managed to use cuttings. It sounds like, that as long as I protect them over the winter and cut them back, they should be OK.

How are you transporting your plants?

They will only be little so I expect tightly sealed in a polybag amongst the luggage, depending on what I bring.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Originally Posted by poollounger
Sorry Poollounger, but Osteospermums don't have succulant leaves.....

Im off to my garden centre with a piece to see if they can identify it. Watch this space......
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Right, identified it now, in a book I had forgotten I have at home!!!!

Its Aptenia cordifolia. Fast growing, prostrate, perennial succulent (by the way I was wrong, perennials don't always died down in winter, cost this one doesn't) with oval, glossy green leaves and, in summer, daisy like, bright pink flowers. Is ideal for ground cover. H5cm (2in) S. indefinite. Min. 7C (45F).

That seems to cover it don't you think?

Can't post a picture but the one in my book looks exactly right.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Right, identified it now, in a book I had forgotten I have at home!!!!

Its Aptenia cordifolia. Fast growing, prostrate, perennial succulent (by the way I was wrong, perennials don't always died down in winter, cost this one doesn't) with oval, glossy green leaves and, in summer, daisy like, bright pink flowers. Is ideal for ground cover. H5cm (2in) S. indefinite. Min. 7C (45F).

That seems to cover it don't you think?

Can't post a picture but the one in my book looks exactly right.

Thanks so much Susique.....bingo. With the name I did a google and you too can have a look here:-
http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...cordifolia.cfm
Seems a good site - now for some more exploration.....
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

The garden centre you mention on the road from Florin to Novo S.P. is the road called Ctra/Camino de Fuente Amarga?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

The garden centre you mention on the road from Florin to Novo S.P. is the road called Ctra/Camino de Fuente Amarga?
Yes Susique, according to the map, that is the road. From Venta el Florin, head towards Novo SP, first exit off the next roundabout, past the Swiss chalet and Venta Lopez and about 500M, turn left.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much Susique.....bingo. With the name I did a google and you too can have a look here:-
http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...cordifolia.cfm
Seems a good site - now for some more exploration.....
Thanks, Arco-Iris
Found and saved the site. Shall probably waste hours browsing through it now......
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Trying like a demented one to upload pictures of gravel garden and getting befuddled....

Have I achieved it??
Attached Thumbnails Spanish Gardens...........-gdn.blooms-april-05.jpg   Spanish Gardens...........-april-05-blooming.jpg  
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Trying like a demented one to upload pictures of gravel garden and getting befuddled....

Have I achieved it??

oooo, done it......that was last April - more refinements since.....
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

oooo, done it......that was last April - more refinements since.....
Well done, your garden looks lovely.

Now, how did you get the photos on to the forum please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.