Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Gardens...........

Spanish Gardens...........

Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Gardens...........

English grass lasts about a week if you are lucky Funny thing is the Spanish grass goes dry and yellow looking in the rainy season and perks up and grows again in the sun.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susique
Im not Glynis but you do need to lay plastic I have been told. More expense!

We bought 100 metre x 2.5 metre wide plastic membrane 3 yrs. ago and just finished the last of it yesterday. We needed more membrane for a pebble path and bought 10 metres x 1 metre wide for 1.65 euros: made by Dupont and specific for gravel underlay. We came across the tiny washed pebbles in Higinio by the blue bridge. a 30 kg. saco Arido de rio chinos at 2.50 euros a sac and we needed 62 sacos (nearly 2 tons). 192.72 euros including delivery.
Boy, are we knackered!

Gravel (grava) we got from Higinio near Supersol, small size, at 16.37 euros a cubic metre. The larger type we got from Vipren at 17 euros a cubic metre. Neither of these was washed and the resultant sediment on top of the membrane was a fertile ground for wandering seeds. Light weeding is needed in the Spring, I've found. Just hoping that the washed pebbles, being sediment free, eliminate the need to weed. Ha, ha.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Just hoping that the washed pebbles, being sediment free, eliminate the need to weed. Ha, ha.
If you can keep the dust and bird droppings off the stone, you may stand a chance
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glynis
We tried grass when we came out and it was an unmitigated disaster, so many weeds. Kept trying to kill them off but they kept coming back so this year we went for gravel with flower beds. What a relieve so much less work and worry.
Hi Glynis, again, Just noticed you are not actually living in Spain. If this is correct, how long did your grass get left unattended between visits when these weeds were growing, or did you have a gardener?

We really can't have the whole garden paved and pebbled, it is just too large an area and it would look like a desert, even with loads of pots and things. Also we like grass!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Hey Glynis. To change your location from Devon to Cadiz is easy. Look at top left side of this page : My Profile. Click on that and use the Edit profile, then go down to Location and make a change. Then we will stop getting that Basil Fawlty feeling. :scared:
The grass issue is one that interests me. Whenever I go to one of those lovely golf courses along at Novo Sancti Petri or wherever, I say to myself, must talk to the 'green keeper' and find out what strain of grass grows best in these parts. Is it the hardy Bermuda Grass ? I am certain that the absolute key is a managed water conservation and irrigation process.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:21 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Im not Glynis but you do need to lay plastic I have been told. More expense!
Susique there is no need to apologise for not being Glynis... we all have our own merits...as to butting in....I don't think there is any protocol..all contributions are welcomed. Hate to think we were getting cliquey..
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:27 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nige
Hey Glynis. To change your location from Devon to Cadiz is easy. Look at top left side of this page : My Profile. Click on that and use the Edit profile, then go down to Location and make a change. Then we will stop getting that Basil Fawlty feeling. :scared:
The grass issue is one that interests me. Whenever I go to one of those lovely golf courses along at Novo Sancti Petri or wherever, I say to myself, must talk to the 'green keeper' and find out what strain of grass grows best in these parts. Is it the hardy Bermuda Grass ? I am certain that the absolute key is a managed water conservation and irrigation process.
My Spanish friend in Barossa has a lovely but tiny garden, with some nice grass. Watered regularly by a gardener it always looks healthy. It is the thick kind..I shall take a leaf or two and try and match it when ready for the small area of grass that I would like.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:38 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nige
Hi Nige,if you go into the Lemon Tree and speak to Jhon,he will give the phone number of a scottish greenkeeper that is working on the new golf course being built just of the 340 near Roche,I believe he is also doing work at Cadiz football club,came along to my place one saturday morning and told me what was killing my grass,Salt in water,but weeds grow no problem.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:58 pm

Dear Poollounger,

have a look at this site, it seems to give the whole story..
http://www.birstall.co.uk/cgi-bin/Sh...=hoseplan2.htm

In fact Im sending it to 'im in the office' as he is the one who is going to do the grovelling around in the earth at the end of the month.....
S... am going to phone them. I did find another site some time ago which had full instructions and tips and diagrams, but never saved it and cannot find it again!!!!!! I may buy the timer and initial pressure reducers etc here, the just get the hose out there. Be easier getting intricate advice in English. Thanks again.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

This is perhaps a daft question, but do bulbs do well? I must say I don't recall ever seeing a daffodils but perhaps I wasn't looking at the time.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicCol
This is perhaps a daft question, but do bulbs do well? I must say I don't recall ever seeing a daffodils but perhaps I wasn't looking at the time.
Tried daffs last year - never seen such pathetic examples of daffodils. This year tried crocuses - again lots of leaf but tiny flower.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glynis
Tried daffs last year - never seen such pathetic examples of daffodils. This year tried crocuses - again lots of leaf but tiny flower.

On our urbanisation, crocosmia seems to do well - I guess if you try bulbs then they'd need to be the type of thing that thrives well in dry sunny conditions... but they are a summer bulb. The type of bulbs that you get in dry gravel gardens (the alliums with bell shaped flowers, can't remember what they are called) would probably be worth a try...

Daffs are quite fleshy and in the UK they are coming up during spring when our weather is mostly wet and cold so I imagine those conditions are not reproduced in Spain and that's why they are pathetic. I would think the same would apply for most UK spring bulbs; the conditions would probably be too different in spain for them to thrive. But I'd also be interested to know what everyone else has found works and what doesn't.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Could I ask about geraniums? I have seen such huge plants are they a perennial or do they really go that much in one season?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Originally Posted by NicCol
Could I ask about geraniums? I have seen such huge plants are they a perennial or do they really go that much in one season?
Hello NicCol,

I don't know what they would do if left to their own devices, with a warm winter a climate, perennials die down in winter and re-grow in Spring I believe and I guess they would become larger plants each year.

I have geraniums at home in UK, they live outside in Spanish pots on the patio all summer and come into the conservatory for the winter where they continue to flower. They do become a bit 'leggy' so I cut them right back to encourage new growth and soon they are flowering again. These are the trailing variety and I have always loved them as they remind me of Spanish patios and balconies.

Geranium plants can grow quite large but if you don't keep them trimmed they are pretty unattractive after a few years.

Hoping to bring a few out for my Spanish home, along with other stuff soon.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:09 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi
I planted my daffodil bulbs in pots and they are doing well, just starting to flower, I think they are enjoying this wonderful weather as much as I am at the moment! My tulips, which are also in pots have good flowers but only about 2 inches high, I suppose it does mean they wont droop as they often used to in the UK.
I planted other bulbs in the ground but they are only just starting to appear, I will let you know if they ever flower.
Yvonne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.