Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Gardens...........

Spanish Gardens...........

Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:35 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
What a beautiful place, Nige. Well worth a visit I think.

Susique - rushed out this morning and got two good sized limes trees. Thanks for the tip. We find limes in all our supermercados except Mercadona. They all come from Brazil. It'll be great eventually to have our home grown.

Don't worry about not being able to munch your way through all your fruit....what drops down puts nutrients back in the ground. If you've time though, how about laying down plums, peaches, nectarines in brandy or white rum syrup for winter time. I do these every year - Nigella Lawson has a lot to answer for!

You can also get a nice syrup from the pomegranates, though haven't tried yet to make it myself. Pomegranate on a bed of rocket, topped with goats or fetta cheese and a light dressing - estupendo.
Iris are you trying to make me feel better or worse ??? I remember a trick in the Carribbean of filling a rum bottle with passion fruit seeds. Delicioius after a few months. Oh well in the absence of pom etc a couple of poached eggs on Cranks honey and sunflower bread will have to suffice.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

P.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant future

Hi all, looked at taking Hozelock auto watering system out, but then found Leroy Merlin stock a good range. We are going out on the 24th & will have a look. Do`nt fancy carrying 150 metres of pipe, timer,sprinklers, etc. in my suitcase if I can help it. (www.leroymeriln.es)
Happy gardening

Pete
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:52 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by P.TINKS
Hi all, looked at taking Hozelock auto watering system out, but then found Leroy Merlin stock a good range. We are going out on the 24th & will have a look. Do`nt fancy carrying 150 metres of pipe, timer,sprinklers, etc. in my suitcase if I can help it. (www.leroymeriln.es)
Happy gardening

Pete
Thanks Pete will have a look.. don't mean to be churlish but you misspelt the link..www.leroymerlin.es
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Originally Posted by poollounger
Cindy and everyone else thanks for all the information. Seems like anyone wanting to start a gardening club in Chiclana would have no shortage of members swapping notes, info, cuttings and jams (hint hint).
Lidl have a battery powered timer on sale here for £12.99, but as I am not certain about fittings, I am not going to buy and get stuck with a dud. My list of trees gets longer ....limes, apricots,peaches,oranges, now kiwi fruits. Anyone tried Guavas or are the winters too cool ??
Hi Poollounger
Erm Im never quite sure where to butt in on these forums but have you considered that you might need a timer with zones. We do, as we will want to water the lawn for example for a different period than, perhaps pots being drip fed, or trees needing a short soak. So the Lidl offering might not be appropriate. I thought we might be on to a good thing too but when I checked with 'im in the office, he reminded me that we need a zoned timer.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by susique
Hi Poollounger
Erm Im never quite sure where to butt in on these forums but have you considered that you might need a timer with zones. We do, as we will want to water the lawn for example for a different period than, perhaps pots being drip fed, or trees needing a short soak. So the Lidl offering might not be appropriate. I thought we might be on to a good thing too but when I checked with 'im in the office, he reminded me that we need a zoned timer.
Well I had thought about it and was considering having different feeds from different outlets, and of course this means more than one timer. How do the zoned timers work ?? Is there more than one outlet from the timer itself ?? And has anyone experience of the lawn waterers that sit flush with the lawn but raise themselves to water under water pressure ?? I have seen the fittings in many of the garden centres and they seem absurdly cheap, but are perhaps, very simple devices??
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Well I had thought about it and was considering having different feeds from different outlets, and of course this means more than one timer. How do the zoned timers work ?? Is there more than one outlet from the timer itself ?? And has anyone experience of the lawn waterers that sit flush with the lawn but raise themselves to water under water pressure ?? I have seen the fittings in many of the garden centres and they seem absurdly cheap, but are perhaps, very simple devices??
Dear Poollounger,

have a look at this site, it seems to give the whole story..
http://www.birstall.co.uk/cgi-bin/Sh...=hoseplan2.htm

In fact Im sending it to 'im in the office' as he is the one who is going to do the grovelling around in the earth at the end of the month.....
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Hi poollounger,

Susiques site is terrific and shows most of the fittings available at Lidl but I don't think it has a multi outlet timer with different times for different outlet zones. A friend who knows about computers advised me when I was going to dump some kit and get an "all in one box" solution to my next upgrade to stick with what I had and just add the extra gizmo's to that.

Very sound advice since different bits fail for different reasons and if it is all in one box you are knackered.

Th best solution may be a multi-outlet bar and more than one clock for different areas and times. Then if one fails only one area is burned.

The pop up lawn waterer's must be OK you find them on golf courses all over the world and in all the private gardens in Florida.

Regards,

John.

PS Just looked at the prices of the Gardenia single zone timers on that site and you could buy 3 at Lidl for the price of one on the site!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Mar 8th 2006 at 9:52 pm. Reason: Added Ps
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

It looks beautiful Nige....may try and visit in June as we have elderly parents joing us via a flight to Gibraltar. Does he sell plants as well?? makes me wistful for the cortijo we missed out on near Moron.......
Michael Harvey and his wife Vivian bought the old ruined cortijo and turned it into a 'B&B' and a nursery. His background is farming in UK. He has a very large nursery and it's well worth checking his stock. Has plenty of palm trees and all sorts of other trees too. He emphasised the need to get the watering system set up BEFORE you started buying any plants. Making sure it ran perfectly. It's certainly a nice place to visit or to stay overnight. The hothouse is shown on the website - this is the image.
http://www.andalucia.com/image/garde...udo/vivero.jpg

Last edited by Nige; Mar 8th 2006 at 10:22 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Nige
Michael Harvey and his wife Vivian bought the old ruined cortijo and turned it into a 'B&B' and a nursery. His background is farming in UK. He has a very large nursery and it's well worth checking his stock. Has plenty of palm trees and all sorts of other trees too. He emphasised the need to get the watering system set up BEFORE you started buying any plants. Making sure it ran perfectly. It's certainly a nice place to visit or to stay overnight. The hothouse is shown on the website - this is the image.
http://www.andalucia.com/image/garde...udo/vivero.jpg
Thanks Nige, and yes I most certainly will install the irrigation before I plant. Palm trees are too expensive to risk losing one..Maybe a bit far to get a palm tree delivered from your friends though. I saw a beautiful one with three trunks quite reasonably priced at one of the local centres. Still suprised I never saw any Cytisus Battandieri, a Pineapple Broom, as they originate in Morocco. I shall have to try and make some cuttings and transplant them. Grew one very sucessfully in London. Just a question of a sneaky visit secateurs in hand to the last place I lived in.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

We tried grass when we came out and it was an unmitigated disaster, so many weeds. Kept trying to kill them off but they kept coming back so this year we went for gravel with flower beds. What a relieve so much less work and worry.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glynis
We tried grass when we came out and it was an unmitigated disaster, so many weeds. Kept trying to kill them off but they kept coming back so this year we went for gravel with flower beds. What a relieve so much less work and worry.
Hi Glynis

Did you turf or seed your grass? And did you really do the total wipeout weedkiller thing and rotavate properly? If you really did do it properly without cutting corners, the fact that weeds persist is worrying... :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by glynis
Glynis where did you get your gravel ??? Is there much of a price difference between suppliers?? And is it necessary in Spain to lay it on a black sheet of that plastic that is supposed to inhibit weeds taking root ??? I like gravel provided it is properly edged and contrasted.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Glynis where did you get your gravel ??? Is there much of a price difference between suppliers?? And is it necessary in Spain to lay it on a black sheet of that plastic that is supposed to inhibit weeds taking root ??? I like gravel provided it is properly edged and contrasted.
Im not Glynis but you do need to lay plastic I have been told. More expense!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:37 am
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Hi sorry for butting in but just had chips delivered from the builders merchant,dont buy from the garden centres will cost more than treble the price,masking has to go down or you will be, forever be weeding,we put bark in our rock garden ,trif,our grass was not a sucsses ,got turf from Portugal ,all dead reverted ,to chips and flower beds low maintenance,lovelly.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
Hi sorry for butting in but just had chips delivered from the builders merchant,dont buy from the garden centres will cost more than treble the price,masking has to go down or you will be, forever be weeding,we put bark in our rock garden ,trif,our grass was not a sucsses ,got turf from Portugal ,all dead reverted ,to chips and flower beds low maintenance,lovelly.
Hi
Dont understand why everyone's grass is failing when I have stayed at places in Conil/Roche where the Gramon grass is really great. Are you all using English type grass? Please be specific as to what type you ar etalking about when you say 'grass'.

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.